PDA

View Full Version : Pitching--public speaking type stuff

Gryphoenix
01-12-07, 02:37
We're having an informal pitch session in class where you take your idea for your movie or whatever and 'pitch' it to the class/teacher. I did it once before last year and failed miserably (not gradewise, fortunately!) I froze up and couldn't remember what I was supposed to say. Even when the teacher was prompting me I was like a deer in the headlights and couldn't remember a thing.

I'd like to think that I'm not so bad with public speaking, but it really depends on how nervous I am about the thing. Before I used to have PAs I was fine 'sometimes' and could talk and be comfortable. Other times even before I had PAs I was shaking like a leaf. I still get terribly nervous even if I am prepared. I've been worrying about this pitching thing for some time now. And I can't stand waiting--I'm thinking of asking the teacher if I can go first. Anticipatory anxiety is the worst.

Does anyone have any experience with pitches or advice?

MissConstrued
01-12-07, 10:13
Firstly, I don't believe you did fail miserably last year, you just didn't find it as you would have liked to, "the only people who fail are those who fail to even try" and you are obviously trying, therefore you are incapable of failing.

Anyway here are a few suggestions which may help:

Ask you teacher if you can take notes - don't do full blown word for word notes do crib cards which you can hold in the palm of your hand (like postcards without the picture on).
Don't worry about shaking, loads of people shake and mostly noone else can even see it. Even if they can, so what, it is a natural human reaction and I am certain that many of your peers will do it too - they just won't admit to it, oh and you won't be able to see them do it either!
Maybe have a word with your teacher beforehand to ask if you can go first - if you don't or can't then don't see this as a negative - but actually listen to your peers' pitches actively and support them unconditionally, in the way you would like to be supported :hugs:
Use a prop - something to help you represent your idea and explain it to other people that way you can take focus off you and put attention on to the prop - yours included - might be an object or might be a pre-prepared flip chart.
Breathe properly - use the information on the site to practise breathing techniques to calm yourself before, during and after the 'pitch'.
If you can take a glass of water with you, you can calmly and confidently sip the water if you need to - many speakers do this and it allows you to calm yourself and refocus. (This also helps if your mouth feels dry!)
If you feel that you are freezing just refer back to your notes, object etc. When you are standing in front of people it seems that a lifetime can pass in a split second - it is never nearly as long as you think.
Decide how you are going to stand or sit, and practise standing or sitting comfortably. If standing a nice confident stance is to stand square on with your shoulders back, legs slightly apart with your weight evenly distributed over them, your hands held by your sides and your head held high.
SMILE - Smiling as I understand relaxes you, I always feel much better when I am smiling and talking to people it helps keep me calm and I think there has been research which has found that it actually puts you in a good mood.
Whilst speaking don't hang your head down - speakers usually look for an object opposite their position, usually at the back of the room that they can talk to - a clock is nice because it is about eye level and you can concentrate it - also don't be afraid to look around (although it can be hard).
Try to enjoy it - and be enthused about your subject, if you have enthusiasm about your subject you can engage your audience and get them interested so you in effect forget that you are 'pitching to other people' but explaining something that you think is a good idea.
Preparation is key - so prepare, plan and practice. Apart from that only you may know what is in your pitch so it is highly unlikely that anyone else will know if you have done anything wrong.
Even if you do think you have done something wrong just remember it doesn't matter.
Keep your ideas simple and punchy.
You are doing this in a class environment - therefore it is a learning exercise - so it isn't meant to be perfect, it doesn't matter if it isn't perfect and if you learn something from this then that is a positive and you have achieved overall
Just a suggestion for the content but it might be helpful to follow this as a structure when preparing your pitch:

Tell them what you are going to tell them.
Tell them
Tell them what you told them :shades:Remember you aren't expected to be an expert on speaking, although it may seem hard to believe everyone probably feels the same as you to a lesser or even greater degree, even those that seem really confident. Whilst these situations may seem horrible - think of it as practise and enjoy the opportunity for you to indulge your ideas (when you get older you won't have so much time to have a captive audience!)

If my suggestions don't help google speaking tips.

Hope these help - good luck with it but I'm sure you will be fine :yesyes:

Nina.