PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know women get gout :(. Catastrophizing.

Honeybun52
25-01-24, 12:58
I'm 53 years old, about done with menopause. I take Effexor (years), levothyroxine (years), lisinopril (years) for mild bp issues.

Two months ago I talked to my doctor about how my kidney egfr went from 84 to 64 in less than a year. My creatinine level was 1.04. She took the thiazide out of my bp medicine, told me to drink lots of water and avoid advil, and to recheck in two months. I was a little bit past 2 months because I was on a 30 day dose of clindamycin for a tooth issue.

Anyway. The other night I woke up in the middle of the night because the joint from my big toe was THROBBING. It didn't hurt to touch- it actually felt better to kind of squeeze it and cut off the nerve endings. I took 2 tylenol. It was better in the morning, mildly red. Went to work, stood on my feet, teaching all day. It was a little sore, but I had no problems. I never needed any more pain relievers. Today (two days later), it's fine.

I messaged my doctor, told her about it, sent her a pic of my foot, asked her if it could be gout. She said it could be a mild case, and wanted me to check my uric acid with my blood test. I went yesterday. The good news is my egfr was back to 82. Creatinine and BUN were normal. Anion Gap went from a 12 to a 6 in 2 months. I'm hoping that's because I drank a ton of water before the blood test because the other options on google are terrifying. Uric Acid was 7.2. Upper limit for women is 6.

Waiting for my doctor to call and assuming it was gout. And now I've gone down a RABBIT HOLE of how gout shortens lives, is a huge risk factor for many diseases and many cancers. I've done nothing but google for the past 24 hours (not proud) and with what I read I now feel like I have a fatal disease!

Can anyone identify or help?

Fishmanpa
25-01-24, 14:39
I developed gout after my cancer treatment ten years ago. It was bad too. 8-9 out of ten pain. Doc prescribed a med (allopurinol) around 7 years ago and other than a few mild attacks, I've been fine. I'll be 65 and in no way shape or form do I feel it will shorten my life. I have several pre-existing conditions that may be my demise but gout isn't one of them. See what the doc says.

FMP

Honeybun52
25-01-24, 16:37
I developed gout after my cancer treatment ten years ago. It was bad too. 8-9 out of ten pain. Doc prescribed a med (allopurinol) around 7 years ago and other than a few mild attacks, I've been fine. I'll be 65 and in no way shape or form do I feel it will shorten my life. I have several pre-existing conditions that may be my demise but gout isn't one of them. See what the doc says.

FMP

Thank you so much for responding, and your answer really helped me. I talked to my doctor this morning, and because of the way my issue presented (it was really sore and woke me up, but it didn't get too red, didn't hurt to the touch, resolved so quickly), she isn't completely sure it was gout. She doesn't want to prescribe treatment at this time, but if it happens again, she wants to "take action". Kind of watch and wait. My concern is that even if it isn't gout, I still have uric acid of 7.2, which can obviously *lead* to gout. I know I have to trust her and her decision, so that's what I'm going to try to do- it will definitely be in the back of my head though, that maybe crystals are forming and scarring my kidneys. Do you have any idea how high your uric acid was before treatment?

Carnation
25-01-24, 17:59
My mum used to get gout quite frequently, normally in her foot. It didn't kill her.
My o/h has also suffered with gout for many years and no GP has told him it is life threatening.

Honeybun52
26-01-24, 17:28
My mum used to get gout quite frequently, normally in her foot. It didn't kill her.
My o/h has also suffered with gout for many years and no GP has told him it is life threatening.

Thank you!

Stressed32
04-02-24, 19:57
Drink tart cherry juice and it will help w gout.

Carnation
05-02-24, 09:45
Cherry juice and Cranberry juice.
Stay off of fizzy drinks.