PDA

View Full Version : Not too sure what is going on

jplivesinlondon
18-02-05, 23:27
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 25 yo man in London - work in an office, play in a band, recently single...

First post here - or anywhere for that matter!

Sorry if this is a bit long......

3 months ago I had two days of feeling like I was about to pass out and couldn't speak to anyone. I thought of what was happening as sustained panic attacks - the earth swallowing me up would have been a welcome sight. The day after I couldn't bring myself to go to work - went to the doctor , diagnosed with extreme anxiety and was signed off for a week (doctor kindly put palpitations rather than anxiety on my certificate).

Went pretty agrophobic for a few days, but forced myself to go out and do a few bits, felt a bit better so went back to work, but my confidence seems to have gone, I can't concentrate, seem to not be able to take in the world or process what happens in the same way I used to. I seem to over think. So I feel completely surreal - which is worse than the panic!! It doesn't feel like anxiety although I do feel anxious as well (if that makes sense!!), but as it occured directly after a panic episode I guess it must be.

I do occasionaly get episodes which definately are anxiety/panic but they don't worry me too much as I have come to the understanding that they are not actually harmful. Of course they are not much fun.

Bizarely I have played a few gigs in the last month and I was able to do it, how can someone with an anxiety problem get up on stage???

Its really difficult to motivate myself to carry on being the person I have been prior to this happening.

Wondering really if anyone had experience of the surrealness and how to deal with it??? I have been prescibed cipralex, but am too scared of possible short term worsening to take them. I realise this is a bit silly, but can't bring myself to do it.

Thanks for listening (I haven't told anyone about this so I think getting off my chest might be thereapeutic)

maxine
19-02-05, 02:41
Hi JP,
Firstly, a warm welcome to the site, hopefully you'll find the same help and support here as so many of us have had.
As far as the stage thing goes there's a fair chance that as you were so into and distracted by what you were doing it completly took your mind off the feelings of anxiety, which is why you felt old self again.
And with the medication i cant help you on that one, i dont take meds myself but all i will say is that if your having doubts about taking them then i advise that you speak to your doctor again and maybe try other options.

I've already met you tonight i think in the chatroom,pop in there whenever you in the mood for a chatter, we're a nice bunch.(honest):D

And remember your no alone, we are here if you need help, support or just a natter.:D

Take care
Maxine

Karen
19-02-05, 06:44
Hi JP

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few people here on Cipralex who seem to be doing well on this medication. If you decide to take this medication it is important to give it at least a month to start feeling any benefits. There can be some temporary side effects for the first couple of weeks, including some increased anxiety, but this usually subsides. I would also recommend taking it after you've eaten to minimise any nausea.

I'm sure you'll find some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
19-02-05, 08:59
Hi JP ,

The surreal stuff is probably depersonalization or derealization and there are several posts about both those under 'problems' at present.

They are just the body going into self protect mode and do subside with time and calmness. It is not dangerous.

What you're describing is a normal anxiety state and as you're so recent you have an excellent prognosis of getting over it soon.. Your choice about the Cipralex but many people do get over this without them - hard work on your part.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
19-02-05, 10:30
Hi JP

Welcome aboard from another JP :D I used to be in a band (in my distant youth) and though I'm very, very shy I used to be able to get up on stage. Exactly as Maxine says, maybe being up there takes your mind off how you're feeling? Distraction is a big help for some people (myself included).

You've got a very good attitude towards it so I'm sure you'll be making strides forward very soon.. this forum is filled with wonderfully supportive people who understand how/what you're feeling and want to help. There's a lot of info here too, practical stuff that really helps.

I get depersonalisation/derealisation too.. it's very odd, hard to describe and one of the symptoms I hate the most of anxiety/panic.. but as Meg says those feelings don't last forever and don't actually cause any damage (panic attacks can, bizarrely, be viewed as a mechanism by which your body is protecting itself).

So, hang on in there, keep posting, join-in, chat in the chat room (it's great fun in there) and I'm sure you'll feel a real difference and very soon.

Good luck and good health

J

jude
19-02-05, 14:33
Hiya JP,

Welcome to the site, you will feel loads better once you have read all the info and posts here.
I am another sufferer of depersonalisation and derealisation. I dont get panic attacks as often now, although that is where it all began, but the DP/DR is always with me in one form or another.
I have posted lots about these symptoms. Its a bit scary to admit to anyone you feel like this. I hadnt told anyone until I came on this site and realised I was not alone and not going insane[:P]
Have a read through what we have said about this mad feeling (it is only a feeling). Im sure it will make you feel better.

Take care
Jude

random_panda
19-02-05, 16:32
Hi JP,

Think I met u last nite in the chat room. Just wanted to say welcome to the site.

I would offer some advice but I don't suffer with anxiety myself. i've got depression. so I wouldn't want to tell you stuff I know very little about, but if anywhere can help, this site can.:D

Anyways, hope u are feeling a little better for getting thigns off ur chest, I find it helps a great deal. Hope to speak to u again soon.

Katie xx

put things in perspective, take a balanced view, when u start to count your troubles, count your blessings too.

nomorepanic
19-02-05, 17:23
Hi JP

Just did a reply to this post and lost it all - doh!!

Anyway what I wanted to say was welcome aboard the forum and hope we can be of some help.

The depersonalization feelings are scary but they do go in time and can be helped with relaxation and breathing exercises.

Hope to hear some more from you.

Nicola

henri
19-02-05, 19:40
hi jp,

i'm like you - had never ever posted anything on any websites or logged onto any chatrooms before i found this one - but it really does help!
hope that reading all the stuff on this website helps you too.
see you in the chatroom hopefully,
henri x

clickaway
20-02-05, 19:14
Welcome, JP!

I met you in the chatroom too! (as Ray).

Don't have the depersonalisation thingy, but can relate to the fact that doing some enjoyable and intense activity is a great relief and the symptoms just seem to go away.

You take care, and enjoy all the marvellous support this site gives,

Ray