PDA

View Full Version : Worried that I have a more serious issue than a stomach bug.

beq45
01-02-24, 00:25
Last night, I got hit suddenly with nausea and experienced vomiting and diarrhea the next 5 hours. I started to feel better around bedtime and slept normally without any issues in the middle of the night. When I woke up, I felt significantly better, but still not 100%. I assume I messed up by drinking coffee to avoid caffeine withdrawal and eating Greek yogurt, overnight oats, almonds and toast and peanut butter, because I started to feel sick again this afternoon. I suddenly got hit with a vomiting and diarrhea episode again 4 hours ago, but I seem to be improving somewhat because I’ve “only” been dealing with diarrhea every hour the last
few hours.

Basically, I’m worried that I have more than a simple bug because I seemed to be on the mend for a good part of a day, but regressed to what I was dealing with last night, I thought that bugs always improved without any regression.

jojo2316
01-02-24, 11:30
I think this does sound pretty normal for a vomiting bug really. Recovery is not always straightforward

beq45
01-02-24, 12:43
I think this does sound pretty normal for a vomiting bug really. Recovery is not always straightforward

Thanks. I used to get stomach bugs fairly often when I was very young, but I hardly ever get them anymore, so maybe I just am not remembering correctly. I guess I just assumed recovery should always be a linear progression, with no hiccups along the way.

Darksky
01-02-24, 13:27
I think your breakfast was what caused the secondary bout. If you have an episode of vomiting and diarrhoea it’s better to eat gently for the next 24 hours to let everything fully settle down. Take it easy and it will go.

Sparkling_Fairy
01-02-24, 14:36
I think your breakfast was what caused the secondary bout. If you have an episode of vomiting and diarrhoea it’s better to eat gently for the next 24 hours to let everything fully settle down. Take it easy and it will go.

I was just going to say the same thing! Your breakfast was way too rich.
After a stomach bug, at least for 24 hours, eat plain stuff. Toast with maybe some butter, try tea instead of coffee, dry rice, some plain chicken. But plain plain plan.

beq45
03-02-24, 20:23
Well, it's been 4 days and even though I'm not vomiting anymore, I'm still having irregular bowel movements and I still don't have much of an appetite (although I get hungry at times). I feel like this is lasting longer than a stomach bug should. Is it normal for symptoms to last this long? I'm worried because I thoughts bugs usually last 24-48 hours. I've been pretty good about what I eat, too.

Sparkling_Fairy
03-02-24, 21:09
Could it be that you had food poisoning?

beq45
03-02-24, 21:42
Could it be that you had food poisoning?

I was originally thinking I had food poisoning, but I thought food poisoning resolves more quickly than the stomach bug. Maybe that’s not true…Regardless, I’m very worried now because I’m still experiencing diarrhea. I’ll take diarrhea over vomiting and not being able to hold down food or liquids, but I expected it to be gone by now based on my past experiences with the bug.

beq45
03-02-24, 22:56
So my stomach has been really active the last few hours and I've had a diarrhea episode around once an hour or so the last few hours after going most of the day without having any issues. I'm thinking I must have cancer or a parasitic infection because stomach bugs shouldn't behave like this and I can't go on like this.

nomorepanic
04-02-24, 01:46
Stomach bugs can last for days. The only reason you are thinking cancer is because you have HA.

If you are seriously worried then seek medical advice.

Stressed32
04-02-24, 19:47
If it makes you feel any better- my kids all had this starting LAST weekend. Vomiting for 3 days on and off and diarrhea with no rhyme or reason. One minute they were running around fine, the next sleeping or sick. A week later I got it. I am now the only one sick in the house. Also for me, these kinds of things make my poo super light in color too. You have a tummy bug and it can take a week or so to get back to being normal.