PDA

View Full Version : Going back to basic phones is great!

WiredIncorrectly
03-02-24, 10:15
I've never got along with smart phones. The apps seem thin compared to PC/laptop counterparts. I don't have any use for one, and when I have a smartphone I end up scrolling endlessly on useless things. I'm quite sick of the "feed" mentality.

I was looking for a dumbphone to replace my Samsung. And I settled on the 6310i. It runs on 2G, which is ok until 2033. I don't believe 2G will ever be completely shut off because it's required by emergency services such as mountain rescue. But if it does, I've still got a good 8 years with it.

I've tested it and had a few calls. Works great. No issues with sound quality.

Darksky
03-02-24, 11:52
I tend to agree. I don’t know why we have to be ‘connected’ everywhere we go. Use a phone for phone calls. No contracts.

Ive still got my Nokia 3310. I’ve seen them in the shops still. Can you still get top ups on them?

Carnation
03-02-24, 12:27
I'm quite happy with my android phone.
It covers all of my needs.

WiredIncorrectly
03-02-24, 16:21
I tend to agree. I don’t know why we have to be ‘connected’ everywhere we go. Use a phone for phone calls. No contracts.

Ive still got my Nokia 3310. I’ve seen them in the shops still. Can you still get top ups on them?

It's an uncomfortable feeling being connected and notified all the time. Makes me feel like I'm under stress to read it, and reply.

3310's are great! One of my first phones as a kid.

Yeah you can put any simcard in it so long as the network has 2G support. All networks in the UK do, except 3 (3 meant 3G, the company were the first to offer it when the first smart phones came out they never implemented 2G). In 2033 the hardware for 2G will be removed and it'll probably only exist for private companies who need it and can pay for the hardware. But for most folks it'll be dead. At that point all these old phones will be useless.

2G is longer ranger, and lower power when compared to 4G and 5G.

It's also a security problem. Easy to wire tap a 2G call with cheap hardware. Not possible on 4G or 5G without a Stingray (super expensive devices).

Carnation
03-02-24, 17:29
I've still got my Nokia 3310 as well, lol.

Lencoboy
03-02-24, 17:59

Seconded.

They can be a bit of an intrusion into our lives on occasions, especially when we're bombarded with endless 'pings' and 'da-donks' day in day out.

Some people even subscribe to news alerts on their phones from the likes of the BBC, Sky News, etc, which would drive me absolutely potty if it was my phone and I had no choice as to whether or not to receive said 'alerts', but luckily I do.

I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but another similar thing that's really got on my wick since probably around the mid 2000s is that it seems to have become de rigueur for many public places to have either the BBC News or Sky News channels showing on screens; even many ordinary pubs have now jumped on said bandwagon.

I mean, seriously, who really wants to go to pubs or into various other public places specifically to watch the news (or TV in general) which people can do at home any time?

It just detracts from the whole experience IMO, plus I personally find it anti-social.

WiredIncorrectly
03-02-24, 18:26
Seconded.

They can be a bit of an intrusion into our lives on occasions, especially when we're bombarded with endless 'pings' and 'da-donks' day in day out.

Some people even subscribe to news alerts on their phones from the likes of the BBC, Sky News, etc, which would drive me absolutely potty if it was my phone and I had no choice as to whether or not to receive said 'alerts', but luckily I do.

I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but another similar thing that's really got on my wick since probably around the mid 2000s is that it seems to have become de rigueur for many public places to have either the BBC News or Sky News channels showing on screens; even many ordinary pubs have now jumped on said bandwagon.

I mean, seriously, who really wants to go to pubs or into various other public places specifically to watch the news (or TV in general) which people can do at home any time?

It just detracts from the whole experience IMO, plus I personally find it anti-social.

Agreed Lenco. I feel like relaxing at the pub with family or a good friend with a meal is lost on the newer generation. There's something idyllic when you're sat in a nice old pub in the middle of nowhere, sipping a drink, having a cat and a bit of food. It's not about the beer, although a nice pint lightens the air. It's the company, and the atmosphere.

I love nice little pubs on the river, or canal. There's a nice one in Solihull on the canal.

WiredIncorrectly
03-02-24, 18:28
I've still got my Nokia 3310 as well, lol.

Great phone to keep for emergencies. Battery on them lasts a while. I plan to do some hiking in the summer, if my wonky brain permits it :roflmao:. And I'll definitely take a cheap backup phone. Some people keep one in the glove box. You pretty much have to if you live somewhere like the Dales. It can be fatal up there in the winter if you break down.

Carnation
03-02-24, 19:29
Mobile phones were originally for emergency situations only. If only we had a crystal ball in to the future.

Lencoboy
03-02-24, 19:43
Agreed Lenco. I feel like relaxing at the pub with family or a good friend with a meal is lost on the newer generation. There's something idyllic when you're sat in a nice old pub in the middle of nowhere, sipping a drink, having a cat and a bit of food. It's not about the beer, although a nice pint lightens the air. It's the company, and the atmosphere.

I love nice little pubs on the river, or canal. There's a nice one in Solihull on the canal.

I don't think the news channels on pub TVs is necessarily desire of the younger generation; it seems to be something that pub staff of pretty much all ages assume they're expected to do 'by default' these days.

Let's face it, there's no official 'legislation' compulsory by law that warrants it, but do we really all want to be bombarded with all the horrible things going on in the world shoved into our faces when places like pubs should ultimately serve to be some kind of 'escape' from all the humdrum and mundane of ordinary everyday life, rather than serve to be just another 'extension' (and 'reminder') of it, coupled with even further unnecessary sensory overload?

WiredIncorrectly
04-02-24, 15:45
Mobile phones were originally for emergency situations only. If only we had a crystal ball in to the future.

Everything in hindsight is 20/20

WiredIncorrectly
04-02-24, 15:54
I don't think the news channels on pub TVs is necessarily desire of the younger generation; it seems to be something that pub staff of pretty much all ages assume they're expected to do 'by default' these days.

Let's face it, there's no official 'legislation' compulsory by law that warrants it, but do we really all want to be bombarded with all the horrible things going on in the world shoved into our faces when places like pubs should ultimately serve to be some kind of 'escape' from all the humdrum and mundane of ordinary everyday life, rather than serve to be just another 'extension' (and 'reminder') of it, coupled with even further unnecessary sensory overload?

I was replying to you, and then the area had a powercut for an hour. I started to worry because I was disconnected from everything. Lay on the bed tried to calm myself because my heart was going like the clappers. I'd calmed a bit and decided to sweep and mop the inside of the block to keep my head busy. Everyone started talking to me, and one neighbor offered me a Sunday roast. I thanked her dearly, but had to decline because I am in the process of cooking a curry.

Such lovely people. Never experienced that before.

I didn't mean going to the pub to watch news is a good thing. That would be very boring. Most go to the pub to escape life. I've not been to a pub in a while, but I'd imagine this is more common in smaller local pubs? Saying that mate, I'm sure I went to the Weatherspoon's one morning for breakfast and they had BBC playing.

What I meant in my last reply was less people are going to the pub. And I think that's a shame because for me it was the highlight of my week every Sunday meeting all the family, having food, chatting, and having that time together. I really do miss that. And it's not something that will return to my family. Some are gone forever and that displaced things. Not to mention most people can't afford it.

Everything is changing. And I don't like it. I now know how my parents, and grandparents, felt when I was a teenager. They said the same thing. We're the "moaners", but we're yearning to go back to a better time.

I take comfort in enjoying the things in my past. Including the phone.

Lencoboy
04-02-24, 21:33
I was replying to you, and then the area had a powercut for an hour. I started to worry because I was disconnected from everything. Lay on the bed tried to calm myself because my heart was going like the clappers. I'd calmed a bit and decided to sweep and mop the inside of the block to keep my head busy. Everyone started talking to me, and one neighbor offered me a Sunday roast. I thanked her dearly, but had to decline because I am in the process of cooking a curry.

Such lovely people. Never experienced that before.

I didn't mean going to the pub to watch news is a good thing. That would be very boring. Most go to the pub to escape life. I've not been to a pub in a while, but I'd imagine this is more common in smaller local pubs? Saying that mate, I'm sure I went to the Weatherspoon's one morning for breakfast and they had BBC playing.

What I meant in my last reply was less people are going to the pub. And I think that's a shame because for me it was the highlight of my week every Sunday meeting all the family, having food, chatting, and having that time together. I really do miss that. And it's not something that will return to my family. Some are gone forever and that displaced things. Not to mention most people can't afford it.

Everything is changing. And I don't like it. I now know how my parents, and grandparents, felt when I was a teenager. They said the same thing. We're the "moaners", but we're yearning to go back to a better time.

I take comfort in enjoying the things in my past. Including the phone.

I'm not quite so sure there was ever really any such thing as a truly 'better time' as pretty much every 'past' era had its respective problems and issues, trials and tribulations, blah blah blah, but of course the media was far more limited and indeed far less instantaneous unlike today, so we were therefore much less aware of many things, plus I think a lot of this 'good old days' lark can sometimes simply be 'in the mind'.

But I still agree though that 'less is more' in terms of news and media in general.

As for seemingly fewer younger people visiting pubs compared to most past decades, they've often been known to get it in the neck and be perceived as a nuisance to other punters (which isn't always true, of course), so hardly surprising they give such places a wide berth a lot more nowadays as they often don't feel welcomed.

Peter A
13-02-24, 00:39
There was a Samsung phone I got recently, and all the WiFi did was connect briefly, then mess around. It kept disconnecting, and I found it was such a pain. No other device I have has this issue.

I decided just to sell the phone. I only had it like a month or so.

Davy 53
21-02-24, 16:57
Can totally understand this chat , I ve gone back to my so called 'burner phone.' ....a tesco imo dash phone. sim only deal £5 a month . All texts are free and theres hundreds of free mins talktime. I ve come to realise that the less complicated your phone is -the more easier your life is !.

Peter A
23-02-24, 14:58
I use Smarty. So my unlimited data plan won't work unless it's a smartphone. However, I had considered just using free WiFi zones on a smartphone, and getting a normal (non-Internet enabled) phone for contacting people, to save the battery.

Some public places don't even have any power outlets at the tables. So if my power ran out far from home, I would be screwed.