PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Cancer Screening Test Positive

Pigeon
10-02-24, 05:39
I’m absolutely terrified. My routine test came back positive and I have to go for a colonoscopy.

I’m 66 so in the higher risk category. It’s hard to know if I have any of the symptoms as I suffer from IBS so stomach pain etc is normal for me. I do have piles too (sorry) so keep trying to reassure myself it’s just that.

Im so worried that can’t think straight, can’t eat and am exhausted. So anything reassuring that anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

jojo2316
10-02-24, 06:52
Piles bleed so its hard to see how you would get anything other than a positive test. Polyps also bleed and are extremely common. My mum had a positive screen some years ago, like you, and a polyp was the outcome. Do you know when your colonoscopy will be?

Pigeon
10-02-24, 07:52
No, not yet. The screening nurse is ringing me on Wednesday and she’ll book me in then.
It’s supposed to be within two weeks but apparently everything is behind (pardon the pun) at the moment.
:)
Thanks for your reassuring words.

BlueIris
10-02-24, 08:34
Just saw this now. My husband was in your position a couple of years back, and it was terrifying. They removed a bunch of polyps, though, and everything was benign.

Hang in there, okay?

tina oreilly1
10-02-24, 08:44
can u pm me

Pigeon
10-02-24, 08:45
Thanks Blue Iris that’s good to hear. Glad it went well for your husband. it must have been such a relief!

The waiting is almost unbearable. What makes it worse is that I have family history of BC - my brother had it 10 years ago but thankfully made a full recovery.

tina oreilly1
10-02-24, 08:50
hi ive had cancer three times , u will be grand

Pigeon
10-02-24, 08:52
Oh my word Tina, that’s tough!

jojo2316
10-02-24, 09:04
The waiting is the VERY worst. As soon as you have a date you will feel better.

Pigeon
10-02-24, 09:22
I really do hope so JoJo. I’m all over the place at the moment. Supposed to be going to Manchester for the weekend with my daughter to see a comedian. Was really looking forward to it but don’t think I can face it.

jojo2316
10-02-24, 09:49
Does your daughter know what you are going through?

Pigeon
10-02-24, 10:03
No I haven’t said anything yet as I only got the results yesterday. I’ll probably not be able to keep it to myself though as talking to people is my automatic response to any kind of stress. She’s a medical professional so has a little knowledge - but not of this specific thing.

jojo2316
10-02-24, 22:02
That is good- get lots of support from those close to you!