PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Juneie
19-02-05, 03:34
Just to introduce myself, im June, 43 and a long time suffer of panic attacks and more recently agoraphobia....lifes at bitch eh. I spend a great deal of time alone, having no partner, no friends and my family consists of my manic depressive Sister and my 17yr old daughter. Im studying part time to become a councelllor, as much to help myself as others, though I find my lack of concentration due to permant anxiety is not helping the studies at all. Still onwards and upwards, gotta keep fighting.

June

Karen
19-02-05, 06:47
Hi June

Welcome to the forum. Being so isolated doesn't help these problems. Do your daughter and sister visit you? Are you getting any help from your doctor or a counsellor?

You'll get some good help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
19-02-05, 08:54
Hi June,

Welcome .

What happened with the long standing panics that only recently progressed to agoraphobia ?

Do you go somewhere to do your course or does it happen online and within a group setting or not ?

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

JPF
19-02-05, 10:36
Hi June

Welcome to the forum.. I know exactly what you mean about concentration problems, it's horrible.. Anxiety/panic is a very lonely condition but the good news is you're not alone - this place is full of very helpful, supportive and above-all understanding people.. they know how it feels and they want to help.. This place is a real gem and has helped me immensely..

Keep posting, join-in with the community here and I'm sure it will help you out.. it's made a huge difference to me in the way I feel and the way I regard panic/anxiety and I'm sure it'll make a big difference for you too..

Hang on in there and keep talking to us.

Good luck and good health

J

FAN
19-02-05, 12:44
hi and welcome im sure you will find loads of usefull stuff on here and the people are really nice

fan x

pips
19-02-05, 13:17
Hi June,

Sorry to here you are suffering.

A BIG warm welcome to the site though. You will find lots of help and support on here.

Take Care, Best Of Luck

Love PIP'S XX

Juneie
19-02-05, 15:43
Thanks to everyone who posted. I will add for those of you that showed interest that my daughter lives me with, but spends every weekend with her dad, leaving me home alone...lol. My sister is on a driving ban, she had severe depression and spent years in and out of police cells, hospitals and clinics having addictions to drugs and alcohol. She is of great support to me, and lives locally, but not quite close enough for me to drive to her or her to bus to me. She is well on the road to recovery thankfully and gets her license back in April. The Dr's surgery ive been attached to for the last 8yrs has been little or no help at all, I feel they think im a nuisance, so ive changed my Dr and have an appointment with a new one on Monday. Ive not tried counselling for a few years but am struggling to find one who will visit as I really am uncomfortable travelling far at the moment. Someone asked what happened recently for me to become agoraphobic, Im not sure its recent, I just did not realise that my avoidance behaviour was agoraphobia, I think ive probably had it for years.

June

nomorepanic
19-02-05, 17:28
Hi June

Welcome aboard the forum and I hope we can be of some help.

Sorry to hear about your sister but pleased that she is on the road to recovery.

What happens when you go outside your safety zone - do you get anxious or panicky?

Good luck on the counselling course - where do you do that?

Nicola

Karen
19-02-05, 17:38
Hi June

It sounds like things have been tough for your sister but I am glad she is now making a good recovery.

I'm glad you have your daughter living with you so you are not completely alone, although from this and your other posts it does seem you spend a lot of time alone. I live alone and my main problem is depression at the moment. I know being isolated does not help us deal with these problems.

Good on you for changing doctors and I hope the new one is more helpful.

I too am supposed to be starting a distance learning counselling course, although I am finding it difficult to get motivated and to concentrate at present. Where do you do your course?

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

bubbles
19-02-05, 19:24
June,

Welcome to the forum.
People on here are really kind & supportive & you'll find lots of help & understanding.

Linda. x

Juneie
19-02-05, 19:27
Hi all, forgot to mention details of my course. Im doing a distance learning course through the college of councelling, based in Scotland. Dont know why I picked a place so far away, but they offered the best choices for me so I thought, and least I dont have to travel from the south of England up there...lol. All courses lead to a certificate, if you pass of course, and if you complete four modules you get a diploma. Im not finding it easy, but then who said life was easy, least it gives me something to aim for.

June

FAN
19-02-05, 20:17
good luck with the course im sure you will do well and it will keep you busy too no doubt so thats a plus

fan x

maxine
19-02-05, 20:27
Hi June,
I just wanted to say Welcoem to the site and i hope you begin to feel better soon.

Hang in there.

Take care
Maxine

Killowen
20-02-05, 02:15
Hi Everyone

I'm new to 'No More Panic' Am too ashamed and frightened to talk about my fear to anyone so hope for help anon. I believe the world is going to end soon and I'm living the end every day. I'm scared and panicky and am on medication which doesn't work so I take xanax and or alcohol:(

Juneie
20-02-05, 10:33
Hi, sorry to hear you are suffering so much at the moment. Ive not been on this site long, but im sure you will get a lot of support here, everyone is very friendly. Firstly, I know its very difficult, but you absolutly no reason to feel ashamed. You are not alone in feeling the way you do as this site proves. Secondly, if your medication is not working, dont be frightened to go back to your Dr and get it changed, do this as often as you need to and keep putting the pressure on your Dr to help. Also the alcohol wont help, im not saying ive not used it as a crutch in the past, but for the most part, whatever relief you get from drinking initially, its actually a very strong stimulant and will make you feel more anxious in the long run. There is a lot of help out there, sometimes though its not easy if you have an unhelpful Dr. Think about changing yours if this is the case. Have you tried counselling? Id recommend it, a counsellor wont judge you or make you feel ashamed, they will be able to help you overcome your problems. Things that have helped me when im feeling really anxious, Calomile Tea is a great relaxant, a good way to de stress is a good relaxation tape or cd, keep busy. I hope some of this helps, dont be afriad to talk to people on here, they all know what you are going through. As difficult as it seems right now, with the right help you will get better, although you feel terrible, its all feelings, it wont actually physically harm you no matter how unpleasant.

June

nomorepanic
20-02-05, 15:42
Hi Killowen

Welcome to the forum

Why not start your own topic under the "Introduce Yourself" topic then more people will get to see it and reply.

I hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

seh1980
20-02-05, 16:18
hello and welcome to the site!! I hope we can help and support you. I look forward to getting to know you better in the near future.. :D