PDA

View Full Version : Escitalopram to duloxetine

smogie
04-04-24, 12:55
Hi all I’ve been on 20mg escitalopram for about a year and really don’t think they’ve helped as my health anxiety has been on a whole new level these past months I’m also getting passed around the mental health service like an unwanted parcel anyway spoke with a cpn that s morning who wants me to switch from escitalopram to duloxetine 60mg has anyone else had experience of this I’m quite worried about switching thanks

panic_down_under
05-04-24, 00:05
Hi all I've been on 20mg escitalopram for about a year

Is this the first antidepressant (AD) you've been on?

spoke with a cpn that s morning who wants me to switch from escitalopram to duloxetine 60mg has anyone else had experience of this I'm quite worried about switching thanks

Switching ADs is fairly common as while no AD is intrinsically better than the others one or two are likely to be for an individual and it often takes a few switches to find the most effective.

Moving from a SSRI (except fluoxetine) to another, or a SNRI, is usually done by a direct overnight switch, or a short cross taper (see: NHS Primary Care Guide to Antidepressants (https://www.nottsapc.nhs.uk/media/fxsnplnk/primary-care-guide-to-antidepressants.pdf), from page 12, PDF). A direct swap is probably the better choice for duloxetine, imo, but the CPN is better placed to make that call.

smogie
05-04-24, 10:13
I’ve had lots of ssri s over the years but never a snri why ch seems strange?

panic_down_under
05-04-24, 11:35
I've had lots of ssri s over the years

Did any of them work well and if so which and why did you stop taking it/them?

but never a snri why ch seems strange?

Switching to a SNRI is indicated if there is no response to SSRIs in the prescribing by the numbers manual. It's usually either that, or mirtazapine and SNRIs are the better of the two options, imo.

There's not much difference between SSRIs and duloxetine in terms of their effect on serotonin, but duloxetine is also a potent inhibitor of noradrenaline, aka norepinephrine, transporters which may make a significant difference, although, as with everything about ADs, there are no guarantees. The dual action ADs are usually less prone to pooping out too.

smogie
06-04-24, 11:20
No I don’t think the escitalopram is doing anything for me I’m just a bit anxious about starting something new do you think I will see any big changes as soon as I start them side effects? Thanks for your input it’s appreciated

panic_down_under
06-04-24, 12:42
No I don't think the escitalopram is doing anything for me

What about the other SSRIs you've been on? Did any of them work well for you?

I'm just a bit anxious about starting something new do you think I will see any big changes as soon as I start them side effects?

There are likely to be some side-effects for a few days. It is impossible to say which, or how severe they may be as it all depends on individual biology. But any side-effects will almost certainly be less severe and shorter than from quitting escitalopram and then starting on duloxetine (or another AD).

smogie
06-04-24, 13:23
Other ones have helped but all to do with circumstances I think I’ve been on a downward spiral since last year had other health stuff going on which was resolved but the anxiety has stayed this time

panic_down_under
07-04-24, 11:32
Other ones have helped

How long were you usually on the ADs which worked?

but all to do with circumstances I think I've been on a downward spiral since last year had other health stuff going on which was resolved but the anxiety has stayed this time

An effective AD should be able to greatly lower anxiety levels. If you're not getting good results within 12 weeks of being on a therapeutic dose then it's time to switch to another med, imho.

smogie
07-04-24, 14:12
Usually a couple of months but like I said usually other factors have also played a part have been on escitalopram 14months and don’t think is doing anything for me so I am wanting to try something else but because I’ve not had this type before I’m worrying about the effects ect

panic_down_under
08-04-24, 13:08
Usually a couple of months

So your anxiety levels would flare up and you'd take an AD daily for a couple of months and then stop until the next time? If so, that isn't the best way of managing anxiety disorders (or depression). Ideally, one should take an AD for about a year the first time, 18 months the second time and arguably permanently thereafter if the disorder reoccurs a third time.

The problem is that there is now good evidence antidepressants, especially the SSRIs, may become progressively less effective every time they are stopped and restarted, often requiring higher doses to achieve the previous level of control, or not working at all. They may also produce more severe, and/or different, initial side-effects. Two studies, Amsterdam JD (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5123793/), 2016 and Amsterdam JD (http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/226611), 2009 a, found the likelihood of antidepressants working after each restart drops by between 19-25% (see also: Bosman RC (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/30041180/), 2018; Amsterdam JD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18694599), 2009 b; Leykin Y (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17469884), 2007; Paholpak S (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12501907), 2002).

but like I said usually other factors have also played a part have been on escitalopram 14months and don't think is doing anything for me

Were you on escitalopram before and if so was it effective then?

so I am wanting to try something else but because I've not had this type before I'm worrying about the effects ect

It probably won't be much different than what you experienced with SSRIs.

smogie
08-04-24, 16:31
Thanks no I’ve been in ads pretty constant for quite a long time but I usually start them when I’m in crisis and gradually things have got better but usually when the ‘perceived’ crisis is resolved but I have carried on taking the ads I was on sertraline for about 18 months then doctor changed it to escitalopram as I was feeling very flat and had no emotions that was in December 22 then I had a health issue from March to October but that is now resolved but the anxiety hasn’t settled like it normally would I’ve been passed around the mental health system since September and this medication review was the outcome and this is what he suggested he wasn’t very encouraging about therapy which I think I need alongside medication I started the duloxetine yesterday and apart from a very dry mouth don’t think anything else has cropped up yet ������

panic_down_under
09-04-24, 06:35
I started the duloxetine yesterday and apart from a very dry mouth don't think anything else has cropped up yet

While there are never any guarantees with AD side-effects there is a good chance the dry mouth will be as bad as it gets.

smogie
09-04-24, 07:28
Thanks for your responses what is your opinion on snris and ssris? Do you think one is harsher than another or harder to come off read a lot of opposing views

panic_down_under
09-04-24, 12:42
what is your opinion on snris and ssris? Do you think one is harsher than another or harder to come off read a lot of opposing views

The SNRIs are typically harder to come off of because they all have short half-lives. Added problems with duloxetine are that it has no active metabolites to extend its activity and because it is deactivated by stomach acid it is difficult, although not impossible, to wean off in smaller steps than the differences of the available pill doses which can be too be too big a drop for some. Many find switching to the very long half-life SSRI fluoxetine (Prozac) and then weaning off it is easier.

The above said, as per my earlier post if duloxetine works well for you then consider staying on it permanently.

smogie
09-04-24, 13:37
Thankyou day three and going well so far 🙏🙏