PDA

View Full Version : Lorazepam to Diazepam

Dying_Swan
03-12-07, 10:22
Morning all.

After 2 and a half years of taking 0.5mg Lorazepam (with some interludes), I'm switching to Diazepam. I usually take Lorazepam about 3 times a week, with no set pattern.

I recently tried to stop Lorazepam but found it much harder than I had expected - Depersonalisation +++

I'm now supposed to take 2mg Diazepam a day. The GP said I should take it every day, and I can either take it in one 'shot', or split it and have 2 doses.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of this, and what I should expect? I'm slightly concerned about going from 3x a week to every day :wacko:

I'm also a little worried that the side effects may be different, although am assured that they won't be.

I'd appreciate any advice!

xxx :flowers:

nomorepanic
03-12-07, 21:37
Swan

Why does he want to give you Diazepam that often when he knows it is very addictive and could lead to more problems when you come off it - I am confused. :shrug: :shrug:

xBettyBoopx
03-12-07, 23:07
Hi Swan

Diazepam and lorazepam are virtually the same benzos but lorazepam is 10 times stronger than diazepam. So 0.5mg of lorazepam would equal 5mg of diazepam which is prolly why your doctor is suggesting that you take it every day, but you should take what you are 'happy' with-I use the term 'happy' losely:shades: . I am not an expert but I am on both lorazepam and diazepam:ohmy: :ohmy:

Try not to worry, 2mg diazepam is a very low dose and both meds act in the same way.
Take care
Elspeth

Dying_Swan
04-12-07, 01:51
Thanks for your replies :hugs:I had thought I was a lost cause for a minute there!

Nic - I think that he wants me to take it every day so that I can do a 'proper' taper down....which would be more complicated if it was only 3x a week, with no set pattern. However, I really don't want to be taking it when I don't feel I need it, so might re-think that bit on my own.

Elspeth - thanks for your advice and reassurance. Lorazepam and Diazepam together? I was googling for that but couldn't find anything.....I'm wondering....if need be...if I can convert back to Lorazepam. I thought perhaps that would give me a 'benzo overload'? For example, 2mg Diazepam one day, 0.5mg Lorazepam the next day. Would that be safe?

I had never realised until recently how much stronger Lorazepam is :ohmy: I kinda wish I'd never been prescribed it.

I also never knew it was possible to write 'zepam' so many times in one post :winks:

Thanks again xxx :flowers:

xBettyBoopx
04-12-07, 21:18
Lol Swan at your quote about 'zepam', I was thinking the same thing too:D :D

I don't take the two together, I take diaz during day and loraz at night, it's a long story but I was on tranxene at night until they withdrew them April of last year.

I can't really advise you on what to do as I'm not an expert, perhaps you could go back to your doc and explain about your concerns. Almost all medication for anxiety are addictive, but with the NHS in the state that it's in, they give meds instead of getting us practical help (well that's my take on it anyway). Then some years down the line they say "you shouldn't have been taking this medication for so long", em.....duh!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Sorry, my small wee sense of humour coming out about the state of some doctors today:mad: :mad: :mad:
How do you feel today having taken the diaz? Any different?
I hope you get it sorted out soon.
Take care
Elspeth

Dying_Swan
05-12-07, 09:14
Hi Elspeth.

Thanks for replying :)

I almost decided to go back to the Lzp last night (I'm going to use abbreviations now!) but decided to stick with it, as I wasn't sure if it was safe to take one one day, the other the next day.

I didn't really follow Doctor's orders....I just took 1mg Dzp. It got me through the night so I was pretty chuffed :yesyes: Not sure it will tonight, but I will try again. I didn't feel brilliant but not too bad at all :)

Thanks again xxx

Alabasterlyn
05-12-07, 10:58
Almost all medication for anxiety are addictive, but with the NHS in the state that it's in, they give meds instead of getting us practical help (well that's my take on it anyway). Then some years down the line they say "you shouldn't have been taking this medication for so long", em.....duh!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I totally agree with you on that Elspeth. It is so much easier and cheaper in the short term for GP's to dish out benzos and not think about what problems they are giving to their patients for the future. Perhaps they hope by the time the patient realises they are addicted they will be happily retired and no longer responsible for their patients.

Dying Swan I would suggest that you go to the benzo forum at http://www.benzoisland.org/benzoforum/ (http://www.benzoisland.org/benzoforum/)
They are all great on there and will be able to give you clearer advice about doing a crossover and tapering :hugs:

Dying_Swan
05-12-07, 17:14
Hi Lyn.

I was hoping you might catch sight of this thread at some point :)

Thanks for that - I will check it out xxx :flowers:

margaret911
05-12-07, 23:06
Hi Swan
I havent taken diazapan for a long time now but it still is on my repeat prescription. I found a 2mg diazapan did nothing for me at all I had to take 2 to get an effect so you are doing marvelous to manage on a half of one so I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. Take care and love you.
Mags xxxxx

Dying_Swan
06-12-07, 19:45
Hey Magseeeeeeeee.

Glad to hear you've not been taking it. Repeat prescription! Lucky you! Actually, I'd avoid it like the plague if you don't feel you need it.

I managed another night with just the 1mg :yesyes: although did feel a bit grotty at times. I'm figuring it's going to be a bit tough to come off it, so I have to make a bit of an effort.

The GP told me to start on 2mg every day, but I think I'm gonna avoid that :shrug: ..and then reduce it weekly. So I guess if I take 1mg as and when, I'll reduce a bit more slowly. Does anyone know if it's possible to get 1mg tablets Diazepam?

Love you too Magseeeeeeeee

xBettyBoopx
06-12-07, 21:40
Hi Swan

Glad to hear that you are doing so well on such a small dose of dzp:yesyes: :yesyes:

You can't get 1mg, so you'll have to quarter the 2mg, lol:) :) :shades: :shades:

You're doing very well keep up the good work:yesyes: :yesyes:
Love
Elspeth

Dying_Swan
07-12-07, 00:42
Thanks Elspeth :hugs:

I really appreciate your replies xxx :flowers:

joy
07-12-07, 08:42
Why am I the only one Lorazapam or diaz doesnt work for??

Joy

Dying_Swan
07-12-07, 12:04
Hi Joy.

What doses have you had? It didn't work immediately for me either, and I still struggled for quite a long time after starting it. I guess it just takes the edge off, but I've still had panic attacks whilst on it. You also become tolerant to it quite quickly.

If you don't find it helpful, I'd steer well clear of it!

joy
07-12-07, 14:16
5 mg Valium then 1mg of Lorazapam to be taken as needed but really no more than 2mg daily. Even when really edgy i might as well be eating smarties but the shrink says thats all there is!!

Love Joy

Alabasterlyn
07-12-07, 14:47
Here is a bit about Diazepam tapering from the Ashton Manual, makes interesting reading.

REASONS FOR A DIAZEPAM (VALIUM) TAPER (http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.htm) by Professor C Heather Ashton DM, FRCP, April 2001

1) Diazepam [Valium] is one of the most slowly eliminated benzodiazepines. It has a half-life of up to 200 hours, which means that the blood level for each dose falls by only one half in about 8.3 days. The only other benzodiazepines with similar half lives are chlordiazepoxide [Librium], flunitrazepam [Rohypnol] and flurazepam [Dalmane] all of which are converted to a diazepam metabolite in the body. The slow elimination of diazepam allows a smooth, gradual fall in blood level, allowing your body to adjust slowly to a decreasing concentration of the benzodiazepine. With more rapidly eliminated benzodiazepine e.g. lorazepam, (Ativan) (which has a half-life of 10-20 hours) the blood concentration drops rapidly and withdrawal symptoms can occur between doses, because your body has little time to adjust to low concentrations.

2) Diazepam comes in the smallest dosage levels of all benzodiazepines – 2mg tablets which can be halved to give 1mg doses. This means you can reduce in stages of 1mg every 1-4 weeks or more. It is difficult to obtain such low doses of other benzodiazepines. For example the lowest dose of lorazepam in the UK is 1mg, equivalent to 10mg of diazepam. (In the US 0.5mg lorazepam are available, but these are equivalent to 5mg diazepam).

3) Many other benzodiazepines are more potent than diazepam. For example lorazepam (Ativan) is 10 times stronger and it is difficult to reduce from this gradually. Temazepam [Restoril], though less potent than diazepam, has a shorter half-life and the smallest tablet is 10 mg (equivalent to 5mg diazepam).

4) Because of the slow elimination and small available dosage strengths of diazepam, it is often advisable to switch to diazepam when withdrawing from other stronger or more rapidly eliminated benzodiazepines. This switch allows you to tail off your benzodiazepine dosage smoothly and gradually and minimises withdrawal symptoms.

5) When making the switch it is important to do it gradually, replacing one dose at a time and at approximately weekly intervals and making allowance for the difference in potency. For example, if you are taking lorazepam 1mg three times daily, first change the night dose to 10mg diazepam. (This can be done in two stages if necessary e.g. lorazepam 0.5mg (half a 1mg tablet) plus diazepam 5mg; then drop the lorazepam and go on to diazepam 10mg). A week or two later change one of the day-time doses, and two weeks later change the other day-time dose.

Dying_Swan
08-12-07, 01:40
Oh cool thank you Lyn :hugs:that is really helpful. So it seems I would be safe to switch back to Lzp if necessary (trying to avoid this route!)

I'm glad to know the Doctor is doing the 'right' thing too!

Thanks so much xxxxx :flowers:

Richie
22-01-08, 19:19
Dear Dying Swan
iIhave many a time thought of going onto Diazepam from lorazepam because as Elspeth rightly says Lorazepam is far more potent.
Been on Lorazepam 4 years because no therapy has ever been offered but i cut it down to 2 and now would like to divert to diazepam to finish these off for good. Problem is lorazepam has been just right for my metabolism without side effects or anything. But the tolerance level doesn't last forever and i don't want to live on pills forever!!!
i'd try diazepam if i were you and keep a record every day gradually weaning yourself off everything
Love Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Best of Luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx