PDA

View Full Version : Christmas

Lilith1980
03-12-07, 12:08
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if other people in the forum were feeling anxious about this time of year?

I was watching TV yesterday and all these adverts for kids' toys/food/furniture stores were flashing up and it just got me feeling on edge.

Its not like I have anything major to plan. My Mum doesnt want me spending too much on presents because of our wedding next year so I'm not going to. She said she will pay towards the hire car so I can drive us down to see her and the rest of the family.

If I'm honest, Christmas is a time where I've preferred to shut myself away. I dont mind visiting family, but to be honest I'd rather stay indoors with my boyfriend. We'll probably meet friends for new year but I dread that too. I find new year a bit depressing really. I start feeling anxious at the thought of going out and being around people and it being really busy:wacko:

xxx

mlondon
03-12-07, 14:29
Hi Lilith

Christmas can be a really stressful time. I try and make it as cosy as possible, lots of treats for myself, watching dvds and cosy decorations. Try to take time out for your at this time of year. x

lesleyB
03-12-07, 15:16
Hi, Lillith, xmas can be a stressfull time of year and also new year I find depressing, try and have fun if you can and focus on that wedding of yours it helps to have something else to think about.
Happy xmas and good luck on your wedding day:hugs: :flowers:
Lesleyb

yorkylover
03-12-07, 17:07
I find christmas very stressfull and today its all really got on top of me.Iv been crying most of the day and feel really low.

Lilith1980
03-12-07, 17:56
Aww Yorky, I think we should take the others' advice on this one and make sure we take care of ourselves at this time of year. Will make sure I chill out and not get to over-wealmed by it all xxx

angiebaby
03-12-07, 19:49
I have dreaded christmas too since i got ill three years ago. Don't know what it is exactly about it, probably having to go to the family. Don't think i would have felt so bad if it was just us staying in for the whole day.
But this year is going to be horrendous since losing my dad. Don't know how i will manage to be honest. Mum is coming to our house, which i know sounds awful and i don't mean it too, but i am really dreading as it is different i think, out of the norm etc. Plus more pressure isn't it. Then we will be going to my aunties, as we normally did, but dad won't be there. It is going to be awful and i am really dreading it. Also won't be visiting my father in law either as he has now gone too, so just dreading everything to be honest.x

coldwater
04-12-07, 18:15
TELL ME ABOUT IT CHRISTMAS IS GONNA SUCK! I know for a fact im gonna get so scared about it, its just gonna be one big day of unreality anxiety fear and depression. or maybe santa will drop me off a cure for this crap!

bluebottle
04-12-07, 21:02
Excuse me, but f**k Christmas!

Money making, anxiety making hell. Roll on the 2nd January.

Meewah
09-12-07, 13:30
I speak to so many people these days who say that they hate xmas. I too feel stressed out. I have kids and the incesent wants and needs of them makes me feel like scrooge...bah humbug...The thoughts of being on time at social gatherings, short days, long nights, cold, feeling completely unhealthy, remembering its when my father had his first heart attack, its when I started with high anxiety symptoms, eating too much, drinking too much.

What is everyone elses reason for finding xmas so stressful?

Love to all for the new year.

P.s the 22nd of December is the winter solstace and so the days start getting longer from then on!!!!

Pink Panic
09-12-07, 13:49
Hi,

I'm dredding Christmas is my partner is going to be working Offshore :weep:

Roll on the New Year and lets hope this one is better for all of us who have been suffering. :hugs:

Pink
x

lindaa
09-12-07, 13:54
Hya all.
Christmas is stressfull at the best of times. This is the first Christmas without my precious baby Grandson. I have to cope I have no other option!! We all need a coping skill. I think mine will be to hide in the kitchen with a bottle of vodka!!:yesyes:
Tell me your coping skills at Christmas.
Linda

Karen
09-12-07, 14:05
I too struggle with Christmas. I spend it alone so there is not a lot to look forward to.

It is hard knowing people are spending time with families and I'll be alone. I guess it will be just another day except I'll not have my companion here either. I've not coped with more than a few hours alone until now.

I hope everyone finds a way of enjoying the day somehow :hugs:

Karen x

Keldews
09-12-07, 15:15
HI
I am new to the forum.
i am dreading christmas .the thought of it makes me so depressed even more.i am finding it all to hard.i lost my brother on xmas eve 2006 he was Killed in germany i have since been told a month ago that they are charging a male with his murder this has killed me and just can't cope.and just can't accept he has gone.My councilor gave me this site address.I have logged on and off a few time but not found the courage to post.
My relationship is suffering too now i just don't know what to do or were to go ...

Roll on 2008 i am praying it will be a better one.

Lindalou64
09-12-07, 15:21
I FIND CHRISTMAS TO BE A VERY BLUE TIME WITH SO MANY BEING MISSED BUT I HAVE TO OVER LOOK THE BAD AND SEE THE GOOD...IT IS VERY STRESSFUL BUT ITS GOOD TO BE SURROUNDED BY ARE FAMILYS..........WISH YOU WELL........LINDA

Lilith1980
09-12-07, 15:24
HI
I am new to the forum.
i am dreading christmas .the thought of it makes me so depressed even more.i am finding it all to hard.i lost my brother on xmas eve 2006 he was Killed in germany i have since been told a month ago that they are charging a male with his murder this has killed me and just can't cope.and just can't accept he has gone.My councilor gave me this site address.I have logged on and off a few time but not found the courage to post.
My relationship is suffering too now i just don't know what to do or were to go ...

Roll on 2008 i am praying it will be a better one.

Keldews, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear what you are going through, it must be so hard, especially at this time of year.

Are you finding the counselling sessions of any help? Can you talk to your partner or is it proving a strain on your relationship?

We are all here to support each other so please post as we are all here to listen and offer advice to one another xxx

Lindalou64
09-12-07, 15:32
IM SO SORRY OF YOUR LOSS KELDREW I DONT KNOW HOW I MISSED YA POST...I KNOW ITS VERY HARD WHEN WE LOSE THE ONES WE LOVE..I PRAY FOR YOU THAT YOU FIND PEACE IN YA HEART,........LINDA XX

Keldews
09-12-07, 15:51
HI Lilth

Thank you for your comments.
i have only just started counciling this month as the depression was so bad i had to seek help.i don't see any change at the moment as i have only had two sessions.I can't speak to my other half about it or anyone realy.(i'm sitting crying now thinking of him) i just wish i could be happy.i was in a violent relationship not long ago so i find it hard to speak to my hubby now.i think it's(not present partner) due to trust as i confided in my partner after the violence and he used it against me all the time.i have been with o/h three years and it has been 3 years of nothing but stress..not from hubby from my family.My son went into the life of crime and drugs so that was stressfull ,in the end i had two heart attacks last year and now i am partialy paralised down my left side ..this is not helping as i am so low feeling as i was so fit b4.
sorry for off loading

Pink Panic
09-12-07, 17:00
Hi Keldews,

WELCOME :hugs: I'm so sorry to read about what you are going through.

Please don't be sorry for off-loading on here as that's what the Forum is for. You will meet loads of really nice people here who will give good advice and support if you need it hun.

Take Good Care
Love & Hugs
Pink
x

shaz01
09-12-07, 19:28
Hi everyone,

Its weird, as I logged on as I was thinking how everyone else is at this time of the year. I normally love Christmas but it does make my palps etc worse. This year is going to be exceptionally busy as my daughter is also getting married and relatives arriving from abroad so Im trying to think ahead now and make sure Im as organised as I can be......not being organised makes me more stressed and Im also gonna make sure I get plenty of sleep, and have a bottle of rescue remedy handy!!!!!

LOL well thats the plan however lets get nearer Christmas and I will be back on having a freaky LOL.

Shaz x x

WDWFan
09-12-07, 21:29
I'm not keen on xmas! It's all the build up, it just seems to drag and drag! all for one day which seems to last about 5 minutes, the weather is so gloomy and dark, the only thing i used to like about it was the booze, but ive had to seriously reduce that because it just makes me worse!
I prefer spring and summer to xmas :shades:

Jas82
09-12-07, 21:58
I don't feel like i've got anyone anything good for Christmas i Know everyone will smile and say they like it but i'm seriously disappointed with myself

miss motown
10-12-07, 21:04
xmas isnt fun anymore iits just expence and more expence i look forward to takin the decs down rather than putting them up grrrr humbug

bottleblond
10-12-07, 21:17
Hi Lilith,

I have certainly found my anxiety levels rising toward Christmas this year, infact i don't fell Festive in the least and thats not like me at all, I think it's because my agro has been back this year and i have missed out on so much including the majority of my christmas shopping which i have mainly done on line.
Lets just hope that for us who have had a bad year this year, that 2008 will be alot better!!!

Hope you have a lovely christmas hun

Love Lisa
xxx

Jas82
10-12-07, 21:17
One thing that makes christmas exciting for me is my nephew he turned two in august and every year it gets better with him he gets so excitied and he understands it more and more each year.

Allye
10-12-07, 22:08
I think the problem with Xmas is the perception that families get together, everyone is happy, everyone gets wonderful pressies and the whole world is fluffy. Unfortunately that is not the reality for many of us.

I worked at Crisis over Xmas for a number of years - that gave me a reality check and took my mind off other things

sleepylea
10-12-07, 22:35
I would love to love christmas, but it just makes you think of families. Its not the being close and loving that I miss, its the being together and fighting over the last spud, seeing who can shove the most straws up Dads nose without waking him, and finally everyone arguing cause their over tired and drunkard. Fantastic Christmas in my eyes, no matter what was said or done, you all knew that you cared about each other.

My Christmas' were a huge affair when I was young, now its just me, the o/h and his family, although this year we are spending the day just me and him, cause spending it with his family makes me (ashamedly) jelous (and extremly upset of what I lost) of the relationships he has.

Meh, For those of you who enjoy Christmas, have a drink for me, and dont feel bad about others, enjoy it, it only comes once a year!

samtheman
11-12-07, 16:37
Christmas I don't really mind as I get of work for 2 weeks, Its the going to relatives I hate, We all go to my mums and I have an uncle who is only let out once a year and he gets plastered and really really annoying and loud and you would love to slap him..

New years I always find depressing, Jan 1st for me is always the most depressing day of the year, why I don't know but it is...

I'm actually looking forward to the summer and being able to sit out in the garden at dusk with a nice cuppa listening to the birds cheep and the waves lap of the shore at the beach down the road

Meewah
22-12-07, 23:56
Great

This has helped me enjoy the winter months much more. I now know that I need to find more things to occupy myself over the winter months to take my mind off the fluffy family thing. When you lose friends or family, xmas becomes a nightmare. I am now removing myself from all the pre xmas bull and I am treating it like any other time and guess what, it is getting better. The best thing is that I am not alone on this one. There seem to be more people feeling like me than that are experiencing the fluffy family thing and that makes me feel strong that I am not the only one that is humming to the TV ads.

Winter solstace today-
pessimistic view - the shortest day of the year.
Optomists view - the days are getting longer from now on.!!!! HURRAY.

Mee

bluebottle
23-12-07, 14:02
Wouldn't it be good for us to meet up where ever we live, local groups, and spend Christmas just being us?

Meewah
28-12-07, 00:51
Does anyone have the same anxious feeling with new years eve as well as xmas day?

Mee