PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Sunglasses too much!!

Gregor
03-12-07, 16:32
Hi,

I have a slight problem (or a 'sight' problem!). A few months ago, i decided to wear my sunglasses when at the computer, because i found i was getting dizzy/lightheaded very quickly looking at the screen. It did help a bit, not perfect, but i felt more able to use the PC for longer.

So, because i found it to help in that situation, i started wearing them more frequently in other situations, like going out to the shop, even when it was raining, etc, wearing sunglasses. So, now i'm at the point where i wear them the whole day, even in dark rooms watching tv. It's become too weird, everyone just accepts that i wear them, never questioning why. I just would like to get rid of them, but they've become like a crutch and i feel safe with them on. Whenever i'm not wearing them, they're always on my head ready for action if i need. If i feel any sense of anxiety, i just slip them back on.

Do you think i should just go 'cold turkey' and get rid of them? or maybe a more gradual approach?

Thanks,

Gregor

trac67
03-12-07, 17:34
Hiya,

I am a bit like you with the sunglasses, I wouldn't leave the house without them, even if it was tipping down with rain I would still have them on, and when I was at home they were always on the top of my head. A few weeks ago I dropped them and broke them so for a few days I didnt have any to wear, and this seemed to break me from the habit of having to have them with me at all times.

I have a new pair now, and still wear them when I leave the house in the daylight, but I dont constantly have them on top of my head now, even the nurse at the surgery commented when I had an appointment the other day, her first remark was ' no glasses i see' haha. I did use mine as a crutch and didnt feel safe without them.

Try getting someone to take them from you for a few days, so you dont have the option of wearing them and see how you feel.

Take care

Trac :shades: xxx

Piglet
03-12-07, 18:27
Lol - well Trac knows full well I'm another sunglass fanatic!!:shades: :blush:

Piglet :flowers:

angiebaby
03-12-07, 19:18
I have found that my eyes are so super sensitive to light too and do wear sunglasses at all times when i am outdoors, but i don't wear them inside. So even if it seems dark outside and it is raining so hard, and i get funny looks lol, i do still wear them. And always wear them when driving too.x

trac67
03-12-07, 19:49
LOL Piglet we were the female version of the Blues Brothers when we met up weren't we :lisa:

Love

Trac xx

Piglet
03-12-07, 22:54
Golly Trac I was actually gonna write exactly that lol!!!

Piglet :flowers:

anxious
04-12-07, 09:55
Hi Greg,

get some reactor light glasses, then you get the placebo effect because they will only turn dark when you really need them too,

love anx xx

jill
04-12-07, 12:38
Hi Greg,

Ohh anx idea is a good one, (thumbs up, my smilies are not working LOL)

In my way of thinking with anxiety panic, there are only 2 ways to go, JFDI, or do things very slow, Greg, only you know which one may work for you hun.

You may want to ask yourself this, IS the glasses making you feel better, is your crutch working? we all have safe Zones or things we feel safe doing or using, but part of learning how to move on is to slowly get rid of the crutch or widen are safe zones.

When learning how to do things things we must work on our thought pattens, make sure we know why we are learning how to get rid or widen our safe Zone, use alot of positive self talk, talk to others if possible, ask a family memeber or friend just to let you talk, I know sometimes other none sufferes don't understand, but what I found helped me, was to ask my sis, mum, if they would not judge, comment, just listen while, I talked positivley about what I was doing and why I was doing it and what I hoped to achieve at the end,this did help.

Greg, I know I have not answered your question, but this is one you have to answer yourself, there is no right way or wrong way, both ways, CAN WORK.

I wish you luck hun, YOU CAN DO IT, I know you can.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

trac67
04-12-07, 13:04
Piglet, all good minds think alike lol xxx

Trac xx