PDA

View Full Version : How can I confront this fear

jude
20-02-05, 09:18
Hello everyone,

Through talking to different people on this site, and through research, I have learned quite a lot about panic disorder.
I know now that I have probably suffered with mild depersonalisation and derealisation in the past.
I have always had a fear of going blind, being under water, migraine aura, etc etc.
All of these fears are connected to a fear of losing contact with the 'outside world'. I never realised until now how they were all symptoms of DP/DR.

I have been taught to confront my fear with a view to not being afraid of the feelings any more.
My fear is that one day I will lose 'contact' permenantly, yet still know reality. I will be stuck inside my head in a constant state of panic and not be able to do anything about it. I cannot see this fear as illogical or irrational because I dont know if it can happen.

This post probably makes no sense to some people, but others may now how I feel if they have experienced it.

How can I convince myself that I wont become permenantly 'lost' in my mind forever. I cant test this fear, I just have to hope I get over each spell of DP/DR, and that it doesnt get stuck.

Does anybody know what I mean and how to convince myself that it wont happen?

Thanks
Jude x

mojo5
20-02-05, 09:30
Hi Jude

Yes I do know what you mean.

I tend get it when I'm talking to people, In conversation - that's when I get it most.

I also have similar concerns to you about it.

Not really done any research as yet so don't have any answers myself - but will be following your thread with interest for ideas.

Best wishes Jude.
Mo.

razocaine_07
21-02-05, 18:26
Hi Jude, i think most people can relate to what you said. Mojo gets panic during conversation and i find that my panic goes away when im talking to people, so everybody has different coping methods and experiences of panic/anxiety. I used to suffer from this lack of reality feeling, which was heightened whilst taking certain medication. Once my blood-pressure was found to be very low and relevant action was taken, it sorted itself out and feel alot better for it

jude
21-02-05, 20:08
I have had my blood pressure checked. It was high, but I think that was because I was anxious at the time. The GP said it was nothing to worry about.
The more I think about DP, the worse it gets, so I know its all anxiety related. Its just that when it gets bad, like first thing in the morning, I cant convince myself of anything. I sit there thinking 'this cant be DP, I must have something no one else has ever had' or if I laugh at something (in my healf hearted way) I think to myself ' how can you laugh when you dont even feel like you exist'
It does terrible stuff to my thoughts. Makes my ears ring and my head buzz.
People tell me to tell myself that I am safe, but I dont even feel as though I exist, I am just imagining it.
Cant talk about it anymore now cos its making me panic.
I just hope it goes away eventually and I cant remember how it felt.

Jude x

nomorepanic
21-02-05, 20:58
Jude

I had it for years and it was horrid so I know how you feel.

I described it as .....

"Feeling of being 'vague' or 'unreal' - I always described this to people as feeling as though "I was not really here". I felt that I was an outsider looking at the world through my eyes - very weird sensation."

It does go in time - trust me - but it takes time and can be a pain to live with.

Chin up ok - you will get there in time.

Nicola

Meg
22-02-05, 20:52
Jude,

I called it being in goldfish bowl. Being able to see and hear but not reach out plus it was all distorted ..

True relaxation sessions helped me a lot . I did yoga - not for the exercises but for the relaxation at the end . Could go in DP , come out Ok . Took a few weeks though .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

jude
23-02-05, 12:36
Hiya Nicola and Meg,

My DP can be either of the above. It depends on the day and time. I have just received the book I ordered from Amazon...Nikk recommended. It scared me to death! I cant read it all.
I think, as you both suggested, maybe I need to stop analizing it and try to ignore it. Its not helping to think about it all the time. I can work myself into a right state!
I have bought a relaxation CD and a yoga DVD. My next challenge is to find the time to use them. Theres so much going on in my house.
Im going to stop going on about it all the time now and just live with it. Theres no point in trying to escape it cos as you both know, it doesnt work.
Thank you both
Jude x