PDA

View Full Version : parents evening

josephine
04-12-07, 15:46
Hi,I have a parents evening tonight in my sons secondary school where i have to talk to 7 teachers. I suffer from severe blushing and i know i am going to make a fool of myself. I am petrified of going. It is in 1 and a half hours and my heart is racing and i am shaking. Cant take much more of this life. Dont know what to do cant let son down. Any advice? Josephine.x

lorac
04-12-07, 16:04
Josephine you are not alone, I am sitting here nearly in tears this afternoon coz I have to attend my sons Christmas Concert at 9.30 tomorrow morning and don't know how I am going to sit through it for 45 mins. I know my heart will race and my legs will shake and I will feel dizzy in there and want to run away but we see these things through for the sake of our kids coz we love them.

I shall be sending you good vibes tonight if you could send me some tomorrow. When we've been we shall be proud of ourselves.

Go do it girl, you can.:hugs:

Love
Carol
xxxx

Piglet
04-12-07, 16:07
I get this too mate - I ususally find once I've done one teacher I seem to calm down then.

Also don't forget if you feel crap you can come away at anytime and it's much less noticable at the secondary school - well it is if its anything like our secondary school where you go from class to class, or building to building. They always get parents who don't turn up for appts for one reason or another!!

Perhaps take some bottled water with you, or a sweet to suck - I think I must always be known for having a very colourful tongue depending on what sweet I've been eating, so any of my other behaviours fade in importance!!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

jo61
04-12-07, 16:08
I find that in Parents' evening it's such a scrum getting to see all the teachers the time goes really quickly. Maybe jot down any concerns/comments you may have so that the short meeting with each teacher is structured. I have to face my daughter's year 8 parent teacher after Christmas and whilst they're not easy occasions it's important to get the most out of them.
Let us know how you get on :hugs:

shoegal
04-12-07, 16:37
Hi,

Although I don't have any children of my own, I have always worked with children and have attended many school plays etc. I also get very nervous about being trapped in a room full of strangers. In fact, my boyfriend is a trainee teacher and he has invited me to attend the school nativity play. Needless to say, I'm dreading it, even though I really do want to go.

Lol at Piglet and her colourful tongue! I carry a packet of tic tacs everywhere I go. When I get anxious I get a dry mouth and sucking a sweet seems to help. Not sure if it does my Dental phobia any favours though. :shrug:

Try not to worry about it (easier said than done, I know) and concentrate on all the great things the teachers say about your son - you might even enjoy yourself!

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

darkangel
04-12-07, 17:10
Hi Jo

You are so not alone in this. As Im writing this I should be at my daughters parents night and Ive pulled out at the last minute. I just didnt have enough energy left in me today to work through my anxiety and attend with my ex husband.

Part of me feels Ive let her down, Ive let me ex see my vulnerable side but hey Im only human and Ive put myself first for a change.

Whatever decision you make it will be what is right for you hunni.

Luv Darkangel x:flowers:

Piglet
04-12-07, 18:48
Darkangel I too dipped out last time but I don't feel bad cos I balance it against all the pluses of how fantastic I am in other respects :yesyes: and I tell the piglets so - regularly!!!!!!!!

Love Piglet :flowers:

mumof4
04-12-07, 19:36
no how u feel i had my daughters last night had to go as its her first one in high school,

was really busy felt like running a few times but everytime i felt like it i went outside for a quick cig and that helped,

was in there for 2 hours but i managed it and im glad cause my daughetr done well she is the top of her class in grades was really proud of her,

good luck

shaz01
04-12-07, 22:41
Hi Josephine,

You will already have been but I hope it went well for you. As you know Im the same with the blushing, I hate sitting in front of a teacher cause I know Im just going to go red, I think last year, I sat with a tissue as if I had the cold so I could hold it to my face as I got warmer....nutty eh lol.

Let us know how it went.

Shaz x x

josephine
05-12-07, 09:08
Thankyou everyone for your replies. Well, i managed to get through it! I had a face like a tomato and thank god i had long sleeves on as it was all up my arms as well! We were all in a big hall and the teachers sat in rows and rows, it was bizarre not like primary. Had to go up onto the stage at one point to see a teacher!!!! The noise was mad, hundreds of people and we all had lists and times of who we had to see. I kept asking my husband , " Do i look ok? Am i glowing?" He said no, but i think he was telling me porkies. I could feel the heat. I was very shaky as well, it took about 2 hours for me to settle and then it was time to leave!!! I couldnt take my propanolol i normally take, so was infact going cold turkey. Something i have not done for years. I realise how bad i am when i cant have my meds. Anyway, it is done , and i am proud of myself. I did not feel weepy or ashamed like i normally do, which is a good thing. My son is doing extremely well and im glad i heard it for myself and can picture his teachers now.Everyone has made me feel i am not alone. Although out all the faces in that hall i was the only one who glowed!!!!!!!Darkangel , dont feel bad about not going, i was nearly at that point. You hve to let yourself of the hook sometimes.Being a mum is so hard. Thankyou for all listening . You are all so great!!!!!!!!!!Love Josephine.xP.S. Carol, I am thinking of you. I hope you enjoy your sons carol concert, ive got that to face next week!!!!!!! I know you will be fine as we all do the best we can dont we? Sending you good vibes. Jo.x

shoegal
05-12-07, 09:19
Jospehine,

I'm really pleased you managed to go. Well done. :yesyes:

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Piglet
05-12-07, 09:52
:yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

honeybee3939
05-12-07, 10:52
WELL DONE Josephine:yesyes:

Glad you made it hun.

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

lorac
05-12-07, 10:54
Josephine I am so glad that you went to parents evening and survived, well done.

Have just got back from the Carol Concert and I'm so pleased with myself for going. Feel a bit funny now, have to calm down again, but I did it. It wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Carol xx

honeybee3939
05-12-07, 10:58
Well Done Carol!:yesyes: :yesyes:

Great acheivement for you hun !

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

darkangel
05-12-07, 10:58
Hi Josephine

Im so so happy for you, a huge well done to you.

My daughter came back last night and told me all about hers, she is in 5th year at high school so she got to sit in with her dad instead of me. Its jsut one of those things that i couldnt manage, but I know it doesnt make me a bad mum or anything, Ive done so many other things.:flowers: I guess its just accepting that the fuel runs out now and again :shrug: and moving on.

Well done to your son too, he has done really fab, you must be so proud of him.

Luv Darkangel x:flowers:

josephine
06-12-07, 08:48
Thanks alot everyone,Just got a christmas concert to face next week now!!!!! I am sort of looking forward to it and sort of not.Well done Carol for going to your sons concert. Im glad all was ok.Love Josephine.x

margaret911
06-12-07, 23:23
Well done Josephine and Carol, you should both be very proud of yourselves.

love Mags xxx

mirry
07-12-07, 08:03
well done guys !!!!

Its my turn this afternoon at 2pm (help).

TAKE CARE

josephine
07-12-07, 08:35
Good luck Mirry,I will be thinking of you.Josephine.x

mirry
07-12-07, 10:44
THANKS JO :hugs: .

bottleblond
07-12-07, 19:36
I'm with you on this one too. I have my sons christmas concert in a week and a half and i am absolutely dreading it, terrified i have a PA, but i'll get through it. Hope all goes well for you hun!!.

Love Lisa
xxxx

lorac
07-12-07, 20:54
You will be fine Lisa.

love Carol
xxx

bluebottle
07-12-07, 23:19
Good luck Lisa. It is never as bad as we imagine.