PDA

View Full Version : citalopram please help

Longie
20-02-05, 18:54
hi all
this is my first post i have had anxiety for 8 yrs, in the past i have been treated with seroxat, been free for 8 mths and then crashed again 6 wks ago badly this time i have been on citalopram for 4 wks but my panics are much worse just taken a diazepam, i'm not sure that the med is working yet or that it is causing bad side effects any input would be very helpful

FAN
20-02-05, 19:31
hi and welcome to the forum , im sorry i dont have any advice about those but browse through the postings im sure there will be some helpful info for you and lots of other members will give you advice im sure

fan x

seh1980
20-02-05, 19:55
hello Longie,

Citalopram does take a little while to kick in. At first, it can even make you feel more panicky which could be what you are experiencing. All you can do is stick with it and hope for the best. Good luck!!

Sarah :D

nomorepanic
20-02-05, 19:57
Hi Longie

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time but read this previous post for more advice - Citalopram, Cipramil, Escitalopram & Lexapro (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949)

I hope it helps

Nicola

ruth
20-02-05, 20:04
Dear Longie

Firstly welcome to this site, I am sure you will find it very helpful and informative. perhaps your medication needs changing slightly, you mention you have been on seroxat before and found this helpful, I also take this and find it works for me too.

Maybe you could go back on it again, I know how unpleasant the side effects are to begin with, but you have been here before and I can promise you will get better soon, go back and see your GP if you feel your not responding, hang in there and let us know how uou are getting on

Love Ruth

Longie
20-02-05, 20:18
many thanks for the feedback, its nice to know i'm not alone i feel such a failure and completey shocked that it is all happening again

nomorepanic
20-02-05, 20:19
Longie

You are not a failure atall. It is not your fault - none of us asked for this. It is not as though we are bad people that this was some sort of punishment. We are just very intelligent, sensitive people who got dealt a bad hand!

We can help you through it so please stick around ok?

Nicola

Coota
20-02-05, 21:00
Hi
This is my first time on the list and my first posting. I've been suffering panic attcks when driving for the last 18 months. I have been driving for 20 years without problems. Doc. has prescibed citalopram. I have been taking for about a week and so no obvious changes as yet. I'll let you know in a few weeks time.

fran
21-02-05, 00:29
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi all
this is my first post i have had anxiety for 8 yrs, in the past i have been treated with seroxat, been free for 8 mths and then crashed again 6 wks ago badly this time i have been on citalopram for 4 wks but my panics are much worse just taken a diazepam, i'm not sure that the med is working yet or that it is causing bad side effects any input would be very helpful
normally you wld expect a bad first week ie hightened panic which is the meds settling in, etc and diazepam to get you through it. 4 weeks seems a lng time to suffer perhaps a word to your gp who prescribed the meds might be a good idea. fran
<div align="right">Originally posted by Longie - 20 February 2005 : 18:54:47</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

fran

kimmy
21-02-05, 09:32
hello, i have been on loads of meds, seroxat too, only came of because of the well know side effects. citlopram are what im on now, best tablets yet, its important to try and have faith in the tablets! it does take a while to kick in, but the sumthings they have helped me through such as fatige, keep trying if you can. xxx goood luck xxxx[8)]

FAN
21-02-05, 09:36
hi dont think your a failure your not at all we have all had times when we were getting better then got a blip and slipped back, i think of it as a road i have been down before and came out of so i can do it again and each time you walk it it will get easier

fan x

Longie
21-02-05, 12:40
hi again many thanks for the replies, i have just been to see my gp who thinks citalopram should of started to work by now, so we have decided to try seroxat again, i have had this 3 times berore and come off 3 times sucessfully albeit with a struggle
really worried seroxat wont work but that the negative state of my mind at the moment, all part of my illness.

i am in counselling and am going to see someone at mind to see about an axiety management course. so things are in place, it is very isolating to be going through this alone with gp just handing out meds. you actually have to go and find the support yourself, no one comes knocking on your door unless you feel suicidal love Longie

Juliet
21-02-05, 14:53
Hi Longie,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad at the moment.I know that I myself can relate to your feelings of isolation and despair,as Im sure can so many others on this site.Please try and keep the fact that you have been there before and recovered in mind....and you will this time too.There is no reason why your seroxtat should not work this time if it worked for you before.It is usual for it to take a little time to "kick in" though.Try and stick with it and come on here for lots of support and advice when you need it.It also sounds like you are doing all the right things by seeking councilling and Im sure this will be helpful in getting to the root cause of your problems.Do you know what triggered it this time?

Try and be patient and chin up.Love T xx

Longie
21-02-05, 16:04
hi juliet
not too sure what the trigger was, i think stress, although i don't work,i have 3 kids the yougest nearly 3 and was being quite challenging in her behaviour, other issues i have linked to this is loosing our 1st child at 22 wks preg, feelings of guilt about crap parenting all the usual things that we leave unresolved and surface in the future,am sure others can relate to this
love longie

Meg
22-02-05, 20:17
Longie ,

The fact that you can identify whats behind a lot of this means that with some work to get over and manage these issues you will be able to get over this..

Hope you start to feel better soon.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Juliet
22-02-05, 20:18
Longie,

You definatly have enough on your plate to warrent being stressed....anybody would be!!!So sorry to hear about your loss.Perhaps councelling will give you an opportunity to unload some of your worries and grief?Im sure that their isnt a parent alive that doesnt worry that they arent doing it right too!As well meaning as friends and family can be,it is often helpful to have an objective person to talk to who is not involved.Im seeing a councellor too at the moment and its amazing in talking things through how you see things more clearly.I hope you will be feeling much better soon.Keep us posted with your progress.