PDA

View Full Version : Eating in public

sagey
06-12-07, 14:45
I've had this problem of not being able to eat in public for around 20 years, even at times when I haven't been affected by anxiety and panic. I'm wondering if this would be described as social phobia?

erialc
06-12-07, 14:59
Hi Sagey,

Not sure if it is a social phobia :shrug:

I hate eating in front of people I dont know, makes me really concious of what I am doing. I have been like it since a child though (might just be one of my 'individual characteristics' as I like to call them).

I can't eat in the street either - buying a sandwich on the run is a complete no no for me, I end up either waiting or finding somewhere to eat in.

I never really thought of it as a phobia but I guess it is in a way!

Hope this helps

Claire xxx

couch25tatty
06-12-07, 16:18
I've been scared to eat in public for probably over 15 years. I'm scared I'll choke.
Even when invited to relatives houses I get nervous, even when drinking. I get by by trying to eat before hand at home, or eating in a different room to everyone.
I don't go out with family for meals and when I did, when I was yuong, we used to go to Roadside restaurants etc like Happy Eater and Little Chef. There I would be nervuos and struggle through a Teacake or happily have soup or icecream.
I'm not one to eat on the go either.
Its nice to know I'm not the only one, scared to eat in public.

sagey
06-12-07, 16:50
I'm glad I'm not alone! There have been times I couldn't even drink a cup of tea without my throat simply not working and then I think everyone's gonna think I'm completely insane and feeble.

hopeandstrength
02-01-08, 16:24
mee too i dont eat at school or in town i always eat in my home i never go to restaraunts im scared people will stare at me or say "she is eating a lot"

glad im not alone

rosiex

Wenjoy
02-01-08, 16:34
Hi - yes it is a form of social phobia - I have been like it for 24 years and I force myself to do it - the way I get round it is the sit upright, calmly breathe and show lots of interest in the people around me listening to them and talking and then I dont notice about eating just do it quietly whilst listening to them. Its like a distraction to stop me thinking about it.Wenjoy x

Lilith1980
04-01-08, 11:27
I dont enjoy eating in front of people either. I always worry what I look like when I eat, or if I'm spilling the food down me and dont realise it. I get quite panicked by it sometimes.

Doesnt help at work either when I have a guy sat opposite me who asks what I'm eating everytime I get some crisps or my sandwiches out. That makes me feel paranoid and then I wait until he's gone until I eat it. Very irritating!

Wenjoy
04-01-08, 14:03
I think we all have to remember that no one gives a monkey about what we look like when we are eating - everyone just wants to eat and no one is looking at you eating or how much you are eating. I sometimes push food round my plate and put miniscule bits on my fork and chew for ages and pretend and talk a lot to people and eventually half the food on my plate is eaten!! Good luck>Love wenjoy xx

Nibbles
04-01-08, 22:17
I'm another one who struggles with eating in public and think it can be a mix of social phobia and agoraphobia depending on what makes you anxious. For me the biggest fear is not being able to eat the food when it arrives or being sick. It sounds irrational but because feelings of nausea have come on suddenly in the past it is that which puts me on edge. I also suffer with globus hystericus (the lump in the throat feeling) which tends to affect my appetite when I'm anxious.

Towards the end of last year I challenged myself with a couple of pub lunches which went quite well. Then a mixture of circumstances and some avoidance stopped any momentum building up. Today I went into town with my parents but came home early to avoid eating out. Mum and Dad stayed for a meal which is what I wanted because I don't like spoiling things for them. It made me frustrated though and I'm going to make an effort to eat out more. I'm going to try building up by starting with light meals first but any advice would be appreciated. :)

Take care,

Mike :)

Meewah
25-03-09, 03:18
Great

I find it really difficult to eat or even hold a knife and fork or a cup or glass when eating with acquaintances. I mean people who I am not really good friends with. I feel so self concious that sometimes I have been known to leave my meal completely and say I don't feel so well. When I go on business meetings I generally arrive down to breakfast either too late to make sure no one invites me to sit with them or hide out of the way and look ignorant.

Mine comes from people in authority shouting at me if I spilt food or drink as a child.

Mee

LucyA
25-03-09, 08:19
Sagey - it depends on your personal reasons for not wanting to eat in public. Is it because you're worried about what people think? Or do you feel claustrophobic, on show in some way? I thought my fear of eating in public could be social phobia for a while but I know now that I'm scared of being sick and being in a strange restaurant means I'm in unfamiliar, crowded territory where I might not be able to get out quickly. I can eat just fine when I'm sitting outside so I don't consider myself to have social phobia.

Mike - starting light sounds like a good idea! Maybe try going out for a coffee/tea with friends and getting a cookie at the same time or something? It'll be small and you can always offer them half if you can't manage it. Good luck!

xx

phil06
26-03-09, 01:25
I had this worry when I was very young.

It's suddenly come back and gone away in phases can't seem to control it just can't eat and have to hide away is this normal with anxiety?

I mean at times it doesn't bother me mainly when I'm working.

Wee-Mee
13-04-09, 19:23
I'm quite bad.

If I'm out all day and starving,I'll have to wait til I go home to eat something.

I have had eating issues since I can remember but one that was always there even from a small child was eating in public.

Always felt and still feel like people look at me and think I am being greedy and that I shouldn't be eating anything,that I don't need it.

That is an awful way to be and it has led to major binges in the house because I can't eat outside :(