PDA

View Full Version : Government Money boost for CBT therapy...?

CarmR
09-12-07, 11:20
Hello everyone

Thought this was interesting

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp?ReleaseID=321341&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

I found this article today while looking up CBT therapy, it was a link on the The Royal College of Psychiatrists website(which is a very good site)..to the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Pyschotherapies(BABCP).

It announces that the government is putting £170 million to help CBT services around the country over the next few years..and there is another link at the bottom of the article aswell(dated 10 October 2007) to Government News about it.

I think this is a positive thing but will it be enough?...i dont think it will...what do you all think.

PUGLETMUM
09-12-07, 16:52
:shrug: hmmmm, i dont think it will be enough, but its a good thing anyway:yesyes: my private cbt cost me £75 and hour and i had 15 weeks. you usually do up to 20 weeks, coz its not really about working out who you are, its not psycotherapy, so you dont need as long. but if you believe what 'nopanic' says, up to 5million:ohmy: have agoraphobia to some degree, so if you do the maths,and say each person needs 20 weeks, costing £75, thats £1500 per person and then times that by 5 million, then that will cost £7,500,000,000, so no that wont cover it at all:mad: oh and thats not including other people with ocd and some other phobias(i think social phobia is seperate)so 170million is peanuts then really:lac: but i suppose its better than nothing, and if chronic people get it then thats got to be a good thing? but the government are never ever going to be able to cover the cost if the figures are to be believed?:shrug:

clickaway
09-12-07, 17:57
No, it's not enough but no money, but it would probably never be.

Just to be positive, let us think that this sum will change a number of indivduals lives significantly. There will also be others who will now be able to receive CBT, but that may not respond to it. It isn't the answer for everybody, but you will hear the government going on about the extra spending come the next election!

ChristopherJ
11-12-07, 01:40
The government are putting this money into CBT mostly to try and get people off Incapacity Benefit. They are certainly not interested in actually helping people to get better. It's all about saving money.
Nevertheless, this must be a good thing - even if their motives are are a bit suspect.