PDA

View Full Version : Books with Practical Exercises

Jas82
09-12-07, 21:56
Hi

I don't know what causes my anxiety. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any self help books which give you practical exercises i can do to determine what my anxieties are. I know i have anxieties with food but i don't have an eating disorder. I just think that food makes me ill as i've had digestive problems.

I saw one on Amazon but it was about £25 and i didn't want to spend that much if i then found out it wasn't that good. I don't suffer with panic attacks more with acid reflux and although i am a worry wart i'm not a nervous person.

Thanks

Panic1971
09-12-07, 22:02
I have just bought one from Amazon - it is called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy workbook for Dummies. It has loads of exercises to do to challenge your thoughts, exposure work etc.

I am currently doing CBT so bought the book to help me.

I am going through a bad time at the moment and am finding what I have learnt difficult to put into practices - but I am still perservering. Fingers crossed.

Jas82
09-12-07, 22:05
Thanks Anne i saw that one someone had put a review on it and only given it one star out five so i didn't read on but then it could have just not been the right book for them. I'll have another look at it in the book shop

Thanks

Hope you feel better soon x

Panic1971
09-12-07, 22:24
It seems a pretty good book to me.

I will give the chapter headings so you have a better idea of what is included...
Chapter 1 Exploring the basics of CBT
Chapter 2 Recognising problematic thinking patterns
Chapter 3 Taking toxin thinking in hand
Chapter 4 Experiencing experiments
Chapter 5 Wheres your head at? Controlling your concentration
Chapter 6 Getting emotional
Chapter 7 Targeting troublesome tactics
Chapter 8 Getting goal-directed
Chapter 9 Taking an axe to anxiety
Chapter 10 Dealing a blow to depression
Chapter 11 Overcoming obsessions and cutting out compulsions
Chapter 12 Lifting low self-esteem
Chapter 13 Maintaining relationships
Chapter 14 Examining and changing long-standing beliefs
Chapter 15 Consolidating conviction in new core beliefs
Chapter 16 Delving into personal development
Chapter 17 Rupturing roadblocks to recovery
Chapter 18 Putting into practice principles to positive living
Chapter 19 Ten tips for working with professionals
Chapter 20 Ten tips for getting a good night's sleep
Chapter 21 Ten reasons never to give up

I hope this is helpful and I dont get into trouble.

You have to really work at CBT to get the best out of it.

Take care x

Jas82
10-12-07, 17:43
Thanks Anne your a star

alexis
10-12-07, 22:57
I have a good one, when I was at my worst i needed lots of writing etc, i will look for it and let you know the title, also my councilor used a good one,
Often on Amazon it will offer used ones at a much lower price.

Marbleslost
18-12-07, 16:05
Hi Jas,

I've got a copy of The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook which is really good, lots of practical help and suggestions on exercises to try and so on. It was prescribed to me by the doctor when I was first diagnosed - I thought it was so good I bought my own copy!