PDA

View Full Version : New user

AndyNYNY
10-12-07, 17:15
Hi everyone. 35 year old male in the US here.

Never had an anxiety problem (that I was aware of) until I was about 21 or 22, in college. Tried to fall asleep one Sunday night and lost complete control of my surroundings, was sure I was going to die, etc. In hindsight, I think it was brought on by years of heavy drinking, smoking pot and LSD. Spent many a night sitting in my car in front of the hospital trying to decide if I needed to go in or if it was all in my head.

Ended up leaving school early that year and spent the summer on some medication, which seemed to lower my anxiety overall. Problem was that I couldn't really drink on the medicine and dropped the medicine in favor of that. Basically since then, I've been dealing with almost constant depersonalization feelings, sometimes it gets worse, other times its manageable. Have a very stressful job and that definitely makes it more difficult to function. As far as treating it, I tend to be the type of person who just fights through things even though I recognize it's probably not the best way.

I've noticed lately that when I get drunk (only once a month or so -- I have cut back drinking quite a bit), my hangovers seem to last for days. Very bizarre and uncomfortable. As a result, I think I'm going to stop altogether.

Anyway, that's where I am right now. It's nice to read everyone else's stories and realize I'm not alone.

Happy holidays.

bottleblond
10-12-07, 18:10
Hi Andy,

WELCOME to NMP!! There have been quite a few similar threads up recently regarding Anxiety and Alcohol. I NEVER get drunk but i am guilty of have a few cans of lager each night which relaxes me at the time but i know my anxiety would be a million times better if i stopped it altogether.

I hope you find some help and some lovely friends here, it's a brilliant site!!!

Good luck

Lisa
xxx

honeybee3939
10-12-07, 19:02
Hi Andy

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

groovygranny
10-12-07, 19:58
Hello Andy :welcome: to you!

Yep, excess alcohol has a lot to answer for in the anxiety/panic arena!

It's funny, but it wasn't until after I discovered I was a sufferer and had 'one too many' that I experienced the awful magnification of panic that alcohol causes. Now, I'm extremely careful how much I drink - I'm very partial to a nice glass of red and would hate to give it up altogether, but if I had to I would.....no question.

Plenty of help and support here - pleased to meet you!

Happy Christmas to you too!

:)

AnxAndy
10-12-07, 20:00
Andy,
I think your link with alcohol is one we can all learn from, me especially..... the short term benefits can seem a life saver on that night but......... Anyhow welcome to the site I think you'll give as much as you get which is what its about.... good luck.

Andy

AndyNYNY
10-12-07, 20:10
Thanks for all the welcomes. It's nice to not get strange looks when I try to explain to someone that my brain feels like it's been dipped in a jar of honey.

Peacheywoo
10-12-07, 21:18
Hi Andy.....welcome. I'm a relative newbie myself.

You'll find this a really helpful place.....hop into the chat room and say hi sometime

Peach

nomorepanic
10-12-07, 21:48
Hi

:welcome: and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nibbles
11-12-07, 18:18
Hi Andy and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. It sounds like you're going about things the right way and to have cut down the alcohol is very encouraging.

Take care,

Mike :)

Pink Princess
13-12-07, 01:33
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/webztuff/Hi_Hello/b1c4c983b910e66.jpg

xxx

trac67
13-12-07, 02:33
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Lindalou64
14-12-07, 14:45
HELLO ANDY AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I BELIEVE WE MET IN CHAT HOPE THE SITE HELPS YOU OUT WISH YOU WELL.....LINDA

Lozzie
14-12-07, 15:01
Hi Andy

Welcome to NMP

Theres lots of useful information here and wonderful people! :yesyes:

Laura xxxx

chalky
14-12-07, 16:17
Hi Andy,

Welcome to NMP.

Look forward to meeting you in Chat.

Best wishes,