PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

sickofworrying
22-02-05, 02:41
My name is Greg and I am 30 years old I have never had any medical problems before to speak of until last June. June 11,at 09:15 am to be specific. When I was on vacation and al of a sudden I felt my face get really hot and my vision went blurry, my heart rate shot up to around 150 and as you all know that is about the time that you feel like you are going to die. Well I went to the hospital and they couldnt find anything wrong which scared me even more. Over the next several weeks it kept happening over and over again each time scaring me worse. Finally during a really bad one I went back to the emergency room and still they found nothing. They sent me to my doctor and after 10 minutes of me explaining my symptoms he smiled (because he knew that I wasnt dying) and told me that I was having really bad panic attacks.

He put me on Nortriptyline and xanax for about 6 months and the symptoms have come way down but I still have general anxiety I guess. The shaking and the lump in the throat (all the time) sometimes it feels like I am going to have an attack but it doesnt happen. I suppose I am lucky that they didnt continue as strong as they started, I dont think I could handle that. This looks like a great place to talk and that definatley helps to know you are not alone. Did anyone elses blood pressure shoot up after the panic attacks started? Mine did, im not over weight at all and I have no history of it in my family but he put me on a calcium channel blocker and it has gotten the racing heart and high pressure under control which has also helped my cause. Any way its good to be here

Greg

Karen
22-02-05, 03:04
Hi Greg

Welcome to the forum.

You'll get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

mojo5
22-02-05, 08:21
Hi Greg

Welcome !

You'll find plenty of examples, in this forum, of people who have ( or are going through ) exactly the same as you.

I know what you mean about getting panic under control and then being left with the generally anxious state.
That's where I am myself.

If I find any answers I'll contact you again.
- and if you get any - contact me :)

Best Wishes
Mo.

sickofworrying
22-02-05, 08:38
Most definately, thanks

lisarose
22-02-05, 09:34
Hi Greg,

Welcome to the forum, you will find this place really helpful and everyone here is very friendly and you will get loads of support here.
I am in the same position with the general anxiety and worry about anything and everything but don't get the full blown panic attacks anymore since being on medication from August last year.

Amazingly when my panic attacks were at there worst my doctor always said my blood pressure was O.K which I found hard to believe. I do tend to worry about developing high blood pressure as it runs in my family, my mum and Grandma both have it and my Grandma has had 2 strokes in the last 18 months which makes me worry even more but then again she is 87 years old! and my mum is 59 and is fitter than I am so I guess I shouldn't worry too much!

Just remember that you have come along way since those first panic attacks and things will get better it just takes time but you have definately come to the right place.

Take care

Love Lisaxx

FAN
22-02-05, 10:52
hi welcome to the forum you will get loads of help and good advice here

fan x

vernon
22-02-05, 11:15
Hi greg, welcome to the site. U do get the panic under control after a while but as u say it leaves u with bad anxiety. I dont seem to get the panic attacks now but like u have bad anxiety, Phobias and real bad fears of most things, I am able to go out more now than i was but just feel generaly ill most of the time, which just causes more anxiety. I have found latley that relaxation with lots of affermations seem to help me. Take care. Vernon

nomorepanic
22-02-05, 18:23
Hi Greg

Welcome aboard - good to have you on board.

A good starting place is Meg's First Steps post - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/firststeps.htm

I am on medication for high blood pressure so it is under control and I did ask the doc if anxiety could cause it and he wasn't convinced that it would but there you go.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

Nicola

henri
22-02-05, 19:13
hi greg,
welcome to the site, hope you find it as helpful as i do!
i totally know what you mean about the constant level of anxiety. i take these homeopathic pills called aconite - they seem to do the trick sometimes.
take care,
henri

Meg
22-02-05, 19:21
Hi Greg

What lifestyle changes have you made to help yourself now in terms of exercise and good eating patterns coupled with breathing techniques and relaxation sessions ?

Are you still on regular medication now ?

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

maxine
22-02-05, 19:24
Hi greg,
Welcome to the forum.:D

Take care

maxine

tessa
22-02-05, 20:35
WELCOME ABOARD,
I too am from the states. I can relate with the trip to the doctor and when I went i was also told that I am having panic attacks. It was at least nice to know I was not dieing. I really thought it was either that or that I had absolutely lost a grip on reality and was losing my mind!!!
I hope things get better for you!
take care,

If you give PANIC an inch it becomes a RULER!!!![}:)]

tessa

sickofworrying
23-02-05, 20:46
Thanks for the encouragement all. I wish you all the best of luck as well. I am not on the meds anymore although I keep xanax around but only as a last resort. I hate the way I feel after it wears off, its like I cant wake up. Has anyone had a lot of luck with counciling? My doctor keeps telling me that I should give it a try.

You stand in your own light. Make it shine...

Meg
23-02-05, 21:11
Counselling is to try to get to the bottom of what your body and subconcious is complaining so heavily about..

Well done to being off the meds now- if you get a xanax hangover take less next time or move to a lower dose equiv in valium.

Greg - something caused your nervous system to shout loudly for help - so in absence of any physical illnesses, stimulants, recreational drugs, alcohol, sugar imbalances, occupational stress, exhaustion, family stresses , persistant anxiety its hard to know where to look .

Many times the cause just doesn't matter anymore if you are able to put them behind you and look forward but if they just will not shift at all its worth taking a look to see if you've missed something along the way.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

lainey
24-02-05, 09:28
Hi Greg

Welcome to the site, you will find lots of help and support here from people who know what you are going through.

Take care

Elaine x