PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about exercise

Lilith1980
12-12-07, 09:27
Hi all

I'm not sure if anyone else has had problems with this, or if they can offer some advice.

I decided to start doing regular exercise a month ago because I wanted to take better care of my body, feel better about myself, and lose a few pounds before my wedding. Its really helped me feel less lethargic, I do feel better, although still have bad patches.

So at the moment I do 50 minutes of exercise (includes 30 minutes cardio), 4 times a week at least. Last night I didnt feel too well so I didnt do any exercise but I felt really guilty about it.

I met my b/f and some friends for a few drinks and cos we hadn't had any dinner, we got a takeaway afterwards (I had omlette and chips) so then I felt even more guilty.

Its not like I have takeaways all the time, but at the moment I feel if I deviate even slightly, I have failed or I'm going to pile on the weight. I feel if I dont exercise even for ONE day, my weight is going to change drastically overnight and I scold myself saying I'm lazy :mad:

I used to have anorexia but have been in recovery for the last 2 years. Its not like I am going to start restricting my eating again because I know that's not the answer. But I am worried about how hard I'm being on myself and I dont know how to be more chilled out about it.

Surely the most important thing is that I do exercise and eat healthy (on the whole) but what's wrong with a few naughty treats now and again?! If I lose a few pounds into the bargain its a bonus but it shouldnt be the be-all and end-all.

I'm sure that this is related to my need to attain perfection. I set high standards for myself and if I dont meet those standards I punish myself mentally for it.

Not sure how to tackle this one :shrug:

Any suggestions would be welcome! xxx

joannap
12-12-07, 10:55
sounds like perfectionism to me too! why not twist your thoughts around and congratulate yourself for starting a new exercise regime - one that on the whole you are sticking too. they do advise that you give yourself some days off inbetween exercise to recover so 3-4 times a week sounds fine to me.

its the same regarding food - if you generally eat well then treats are fine. i allow myself a treat everyday - packet of crips or small amount of chocolate and i also have a takeaway once a week.

just try not to get obsessive over it and you wouldn't benefit yourself by exercising when you felt ill anyway so no need to feel guilty about that! xx

Lilith1980
12-12-07, 11:10
Thanks Joannap.

I guess I knew this would happen, I was wary of starting to exercise again because I would end up thinking I'm not doing good enough with it! If I think about it though 3-4 times a week is a healthy amount and I am normally healthy with what I eat.

Just need to cut myself a bit more slack!

Thanks hun xx