PDA

View Full Version : i am new and confused!!!!

rachel25
22-02-05, 11:45
hi everyone, i am new to this site, i founf it when i was searching for info about beta blockers, whihc my doctor has just prescribed me for my panic attacks/anxiety. HAs anyone taken them? Do they make a difference?

I've been struggling with panic/anxiety for about 12 months and i had to go the doctors because it was just happening to often for me to carry on as normal. I would really appreciate keeping in touch with like-minded people- my friends and family just think i am 'a bit highly strung'!! Anyway, be glad to hear from you

Rach xx

Madwoman
22-02-05, 14:20
Hi rache,

welcome,

I am madwoman I take beta blockers prescribed for anxiety/pa's I take cardicor, I had awful side effects for 2/3 weeks when I first started but have since settled down. I think they do make a difference cos they make your heart beat a different pattern which stops palpitations (so he said)

My GP also prescribed citalopram but I refused to take it after I discovered the side effects on that one. Some people it suits but I prefer to try the mind over matter approach NO I AM NOT MAD NO I AM NOT HAVING A HEART ATTACK/STROKE I AM NORMAL(ish) some of the time it works others it doesnt.

good luck

Trace xx

tessa
22-02-05, 14:56
what exactly are beta blockers and what is its purpose. Sorry to be so ignorant. Could someone pleade explain????[?]

tessa

mojo5
22-02-05, 15:17
Hi Tessa

Welcome to the forum.

I'm no medic but I have taken beta blockers in the past.
I think they are designed to inhibit your body's production of adrenaline to stop your heart racing / palpitating.

As madwoman says there can sometimes be side effects.

I prefer to use ' bach's rescue remedy' its a natural herbal remedy that many find effective at doing the same job.
Just a few drops under your tongue when you start to feel edgy usually does the trick.

Most pharmacies have this product in Uk but not too sure about the States.

Good luck & Best wishes
Mo.

FAN
22-02-05, 18:25
hi, i cant comment on the medication but am definately with mojo on the rescue remedy it really works for me

fan x

nomorepanic
22-02-05, 18:34
Take a look at this page on my website for info on BetaBlockers - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/betablockers.htm

Hope it helps.

Nicola

Meg
22-02-05, 20:39
Madwoman ,

Betablockers don't usually have bad side efects - what did you get ?

They work by stopping your heart racing as they slow and steady the heart beat and take no notice of the messages that the stress hormone adrenalin is sending to the heart telling it to race.
It is the racing heart beat that often scares people into full panic.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hellie
22-02-05, 22:22
I've been taking Beta Blockers for several months now, 20mg twice daily, and at first I didn't notice much effect, but I do think they have regulated my heart rate and breathing slighty more during attacks. I think I expected too much from them at first, but they do make my attacks a little less intense on the physical side of things.

Hellie xx

rachel25
23-02-05, 10:16
thanks for the advice everyone- what i would really like is msomething that would make me feel more happy in myself- a miracle cure- anyone know of one??!! Anyway i haven't taken my first tablet yet as i am too anxious and worried about what they'll do to me! How pathetic!!??

Meg
23-02-05, 11:04
Hi Rachel,

Antidepressants can work well and help you think you're all cured whilst you're on them, but the reality is the way through this is by sheer hard work.

The betablockers wil not do that, they will regulate your heart beat and help with shortness of breath you may get.

We will help you through this though if you want us too ..

Meg
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

rachel25
23-02-05, 11:10
thanks meg, you made me fill up with your kindness. I know it is going to be hard work but sometimes i just wish i could go out at the weekend with my partner with a smile on my face and no cares in the world if you know what i mean. I feel like he must be finding me less and less attractive with the way i am and i know that sounds stupid but it the way i feel sometimes

Rach

Meg
23-02-05, 11:31
If he is struggling to understand whats its all about then its not suprising that its putting a strain on the relationship - we do have some partners who are willing to talk to other partners to tell them how its been for them - the do's and don'ts and how it does get better.

We've all worried about it - its only natural to do so.

Meg

Heebyjeebies
23-02-05, 11:43
Hi Rach,
I've been on Propananol on and off for a couple of years. It really helps me. It just takes the edge off all those horrible feelings, so that you can cope a bit better. I take the 80ml slow release ones. You just take one at night and forget about it it. No side effects atall. Theyre not just for slowing palpatations - They help with all anxiety symptoms, caused by the flow of adrenalin. Give them a try. Not atall addictive.

rachel25
24-02-05, 11:51
thanks everyone, coming on here evryday is really making a difference. I will try the the tablets heebie and see how i get on. I will suugest to John about speaking to someone or even looking at this website cos i think just seeing this as i have will give him more of an insight xxx

rachel25
24-02-05, 12:39
Hi evryone

Need some advice!

I am due to go to a party on Saturday night and apart from just going and panicking about that i know that an old friend that i fell out with is going to be there and who likes to make me feel like a child and stuff.

As i hvae said before, my anxiety is putting stress on my relationship and going out together with friends had become a bit of a bugbear because i am always worried that i will upset him if i am miserable or anxious.

So this situation on Saturday, being out with him, with all our friends plus my old friend is outting the fear of god into me. I just want to be like my old self happy and fun stuff. What shall i do?

Rach xx

nomorepanic
24-02-05, 21:38
Hiya Rach

I replied to this on the other post you made

I had beta-blockers once but they interfered with my asthma so had to stop after one.

I hope we can offer you some good advice on here and get you back on track.

Nicola