PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Takako
12-12-07, 16:34
Hello to and good day to all! I just joined, so I thought I'd come to this spot and introduce myself. I'm 19 and from the US, and suffer from situational panic attacks. I know there's a lot of people here that have much more severe problems, but I wanted to see what it was all about since I've never really joined a web community before. (other than myspace)

Just a little about me, I'm going to college right now for Graphic and Video Game Design and someday hope to join one of the top companies for character design. I also live with my boyfriend and one other friend in a rather large city, and we have five cats and a snake. (The snake is mine, his name is Nhadalo :wub: )

About my panic attacks, as I mentioned they are entirely situational, but unfortunatly the situation is a frequent one. Whenever I hear a loud and repeatitive sound I become very frightened and begin to hypervenilate and cry. The noise could be something like a car alarm, thunder, fireworks, jackhammers, anything like that. (Fire alarms are the worse) I think I know why I have them- My birthday is at 1 am on July 5th, and there were a ton of fireworks going off as I was being born, and my HYPOTHESIS is that that's why, because while most babies are born crying I didn't stop till several hours after the fireworks were done. My whole life I've never been able to enjoy fireworks or hear someones car alarm without breaking down.

At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was awful at school when we had fire drills and I would go into convulsions with everyone watching and wondering if I was ok. However, I just brushed it off, thinking I'd gotten over it since I hadn't had one in a year and a half, till two nights ago when I went to dinner with my boyfriend, Alexander. We were waiting for our drinks when someone in the kitchen tripped the fire alarm and they didn't know how to turn it off. But of course, it was the worst sounding alarm ever, really high and screaching complete with flashing lights and wailing. I made it about 15 seconds before I started hypervenilating, shaking, and doubling over in tears. Poor Alex didn't know that I had this problem, and was very concerned.

I'm hoping by joining this site to learn to cope with my problem better, and of course to meet new people! I look forward to getting to know a lot of people, so please don't be shy and say hello! I'll certainly reply!!

:blush: xoxo
Takako

yorkylover
12-12-07, 16:49
Hi and :welcome: You will get lots of support here and friendly advise.:hugs: :hugs:

MessedUp
12-12-07, 16:54
Hi there
I get that one as well - fireworks get me worried but I can cope - I figure that putting my fingers in my ears wouldn't look THAT weird, and who cares what they think anyway. Sudden changes in noise, or repetitive sounds I can't get away from - not good - all makes me wonder if I'll panic - which is usually enough to get things going in no time. People singing happy birthday in restaurants, an increase of background music all of a sudden, someone following me with noisy shoes in an otherwise quiet street, machinery starting up when I'm with someone who wouldn't understand why I would suddenly go white as a sheet, seize up with tension, or run out... the list is endless!
School morning assemblies were horrid if they went on too and the long bell rang, or there was applause or music being played!

My best success was being at the dentist (very high stress level on its own) while there was a festival going on outside and a marching band! How I coped with that one is mystery, give or take the drink I had beforehand!!

I wish I could help (I'm new here today too) but I think this one is a case of getting used to it bit by bit, gradual exposure until you know you can cope and you just don't worry about it any more.
Good luck - I await more replies with keen interest - I wonder if hypnotherapy would help you?

groovygranny
12-12-07, 18:48
Hello Takako:welcome: to you!

An interesting theory - I can see how it could be a possibility.

This must be really frustrating and upsetting for you, and I hope you'll find the support and advice here that will help you.

Glad you found us - pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

chalky
12-12-07, 18:58
Takako'
Welcome to the site.Hope you find it helpful.
Good luck.
Chalky

nomorepanic
12-12-07, 19:29
Hi

:welcome: and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

trac67
12-12-07, 20:03
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Pink Princess
13-12-07, 01:42
http://www.zwani.com/graphics/hello/images/12.jpg

xxxxxx welcome xxxxxxx

Nibbles
13-12-07, 21:34
Hi Takako and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

honeybee3939
13-12-07, 21:41
Hi Takako

Welcome to NMP. its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:smile:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

Lindalou64
14-12-07, 14:42
HELLO TAKAKO AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YOU WELL.......LINDA

manmoor
14-12-07, 15:27
Hi Takako,

A big warm welcome to you. xx