PDA

View Full Version : hi all

rachel25
22-02-05, 12:01
Hi everyone

Just to introduce myself as i am new. I have been suffering anxiety for about 2 years but it's been getting worse over the last 6 months. I am suffering panic attacks and pain and it's even starting to affect me whem i am driving, to the point where i now can't drive on the motorway and sometimes have to pull over on normal roads. As yet i have no explanation as to why i feel like this- i have a good job and partner and i never used to be like this. I have just been the doctors and been prescribed propranolol so i am going to see how i go.

Anyway, on the pleasant side, i am a youth worker from Liverpool, quite jolly most of the time!!!!!!!

lisarose
22-02-05, 12:48
Hi Rachel

Welcome to the forum, you will find everyone here very friendly and supportive. I have suffered with anxiety for nearly 5 years and have started to get it under control with the help of new medication and I wish I had found this site years ago as it has helped me loads in the week I've been here. It is reassuring to know that everyone here understands what it is like and are here to offer support when you need it. i still have good and bad days as does everyone and it has not been an easy ride but I am sure after reading the forums and advice you will be on the road to recovery.

Take care

Love Lisa

rachel25
22-02-05, 13:38
thanks lisa, just finding out that this forum is out there has made me feel more normal. So how are you>

clickaway
22-02-05, 13:59
Welcome, Rachel.

You'll find loads of comfort on this site, and people are very friendly and reassuring.

Take Care,

Ray

vernon
22-02-05, 14:20
hi, welcome to the site, you will find lots of help and support here. good luck. Vernon

henri
22-02-05, 17:35
hi rachel,
i'm glad you found this site, it will really help you.
i'm exactly like you - good job, lovely partner, nice home etc etc but have been feeling terrible and having awful panic attacks for no apparent reason. i recently started seeing a cognitive behavioural therapist - only had a couple of sessions but am finding them useful and am learning how to deal with panic. you should ask your doctor to refer you to a CBT.
anyway, take care,
henri

angieb
22-02-05, 17:44
Hi Rachel

I am new today too, feel like I am going mad!

I hope that finding this site will help us both on the road to recovery.

Take care...Angie

Tracy68
22-02-05, 17:48
Hiya
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find it very helpful and everyone on here is very friendly and supportive :D.
Take care
Tracy
xx

nomorepanic
22-02-05, 17:58
Hi Rachel and Welcome aboard.

I too have issues with driving - have you read my story on the website (www.nomorepanic.co.uk/mystory.htm)

With me it is cos of claustrophobic feelings and not being able to get off if I want to.

I hope we can be of some help to you on here.

Nicola

Karen
22-02-05, 18:45
Hi Rachel

Welcome to the site.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

FAN
22-02-05, 18:53
hi welcome to the forum

fan x

maxine
22-02-05, 18:56
Hiya Rachel,
Welcome to the forum.

Take care
Maxine

Meg
22-02-05, 19:33
Hi Rachel,

Welcome !!

What pain do you get and if you need to pull over on a road what do you do so that you can carry on a bit later ?

Is it any better if you're with a friend ?

Its very usual for driving to become affected at some point during anxiety.

You will be able to get over this ...

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

rachel25
23-02-05, 10:09
hi everyone, i realy appreciate everyone replying and being so welcoming! Anyway, i have had beta blockers since yesterday but i am too anxious to take them!!!!!! What do i do about that one? Frightened incase they make me feel funny (i feel funny enough already!) Any advice????

Rach xxx

The pains are sharp and when i stop at the side of the road i just clam myself down for 10 minutes then end up drving at a snails pace to my destination

Meg
23-02-05, 10:38
Where are these sharp pains ?

You are doing well to know how to calm yourself down - you could also do that in the car whilst driving normally . Good breathing does wonders

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

rachel25
23-02-05, 10:45
the pains can be anywhere from my legs to my chest to my head. my doctor just said this is normal muscle spasm in the state of anxiety which does make me feel better i suppose. I try to calm myself while drving but end up constantly thinking about it which makes me worse!!!

Rach x

lainey
23-02-05, 10:51
Hi Rachel
Welcome to the site,you;ll get loads of help and support here

Take care

Elaine x

jo-jo
23-02-05, 20:43
Hi Rachel

A big welcome to the forum :D

Best wishes