PDA

View Full Version : New and scared

phoebe
13-12-07, 12:13
Hi, my names Phoebe. I Found this site whilst trying to find some info on panic attacks, just wanted to say I've found it really helpful and supportive and thanks to all the peeps I've spoken to in the chatroom, its really helped! :)

Had first attack about 7 weeks ago, so still new to all this, Doc said to exercise and cut down on caffiene so I did, then had another attack and was signed off work for a week, felt loads better aftet week off so went back to work and was doing ok ish until couple days ago, scary thoughts seem to be back and I feel terrified that I'm going mad, have tried to think of something different when one 'pops' into my head but its like once its there I'm like 'oh my god why did I think that? Am I going mad?' Have also been suffering from sensitive ears, would really love to know if anyone else gets this as have not found any info on this, its like the slightest noise could be really loud to me or if I'm on the phone at work its like the person I'm speaking to is shouting, horrible. Cos of this I haven't gone to work today and been sat here crying instead, love my job and last thing I need is another days wages lost cos haven't gone in.

Thanks for letting me ramble on! :)

Lilith1980
13-12-07, 12:59
Hey Phoebe, welcome to NMP :)

Well firstly you are not going mad - intrusive thoughts are common in anxiety sufferers - I get them alot. Unfortunately, the more you fight them the more persistent they get. So the best thing to do is try and just let the thoughts run through you but don't give them any importance. They tend to disappear quicker that way.

I know what you mean about sensitive hearing too. When I'm really anxious and tense, the slightest noise seems so loud to me and makes me jump. I dont know what its called, maybe is hyper-sensitivity due to a fatigued mind.

But rest assured you are not going mad hun, have you thought about seeing a counsellor? Improving your lifestyle does help you to feel better but my anxiety never goes completely and I still have bad patches so I am seeing a counsellor which is a relief for me!

xxx

chalky
13-12-07, 13:29
Hi Phoebe,
Welcome to No More Panic.
I am glad you found us.
You are not alone-nor will you ever have to be again!!
Look forward to meeting you in Chat.
Chalky

Rennie1989
13-12-07, 14:45
Hiya Phoebe and welcome to the forum. I love your name, when I have a baby girl I'm going to call her Phoebe, lol.

Anyway, yes panic attacks are frsutrating like that. A couple of weeks ago I ran out of college because of my attack and yesterday I burst into tears where I just couldn't cope anymore. You are definatly not alone, all of us have probably at least once not gone to work once because of an attack or the fear of getting one.

Hope to see you around!

kady
13-12-07, 15:34
Hi Phoebe

I'm new to ths site too. I have the weird hearing thing as one of my symptoms, the slightest thing makes me jump out of my skin and when my cat jumped on my bed unexpectedly the other night I nearly hit the roof! It seems to just be yet another anxiety symptom, so try not to worry too much
Take Care
Karen

lesleyB
13-12-07, 15:36
I have intrusive thoughts as well, you must not attatch any importance to them this is when they gain control over you, they are just thoughts and not a part of you. The more you try and stop them the more they will come, and you are not going mad if you were you wouldn't be worried about it:yesyes: .
Lesleyb

trac67
13-12-07, 15:55
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

I moved your thread to the introduce yourself section so people can welcome you

Love

Trac xx

Nibbles
13-12-07, 21:58
Hi Phoebe and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. When we are anxious our senses are heightened which is goes back to when our ancestors had to hunt etc. I would guess that this is why your hearing feels very sensitive.

Take care,

Mike :)

Lindalou64
14-12-07, 14:37
HELLP PHOEBE AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YOU WELL........LINDA

groovygranny
14-12-07, 23:36
Hello Phoebe :welcome: to you!

Glad you've found the site helpful already - and nope, you're not going mad!

The scary thoughts are really horrible aren't they? - but they can be kept at bay, by replacing them with positive statements. Well, I found this helped me anyway i.e. I would repeat a statement over and over again until it just became seconfd nature - like "this is only a thought, it will not last forever, it will pass...." etc. Sounds simple, and it isn't, but I found it very effective.

Anyway, glad to have you with us - pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

nomorepanic
15-12-07, 00:43
Hi there and a warm :welcome: aboard.

Hope we can be of some help.

There are some lovely people on here and loads of support.

Pink Princess
15-12-07, 01:18
http://www.wishafriend.com/graphics/images/hi1.gif

welcome to the site xxxxxxxxxxx

Southern_Belle
16-12-07, 16:03
Phoebe,

Hello and welcome to the site. Many here have felt like you do and you will find that you are not alone.

Hugs,

Laura