PDA

View Full Version : Is this a symptom of anxiety!!!!!!

sufos
14-12-07, 10:59
Hi,
I am looking for some advice. I have managed to get my anxiety and panic attacks under control and felt generally ok for the last week or so, The only problem I seem to have is a constant feeling of my heart beat and it beats really hard, I have no other anxiety symptoms but do get chest pains and twinges when this happens. It started last night and went on for over 2 hours but my heart was only beating sightly fast but really hard.
It is really hard to control your thoughts when this happens but I just can't understand where it comes from and why it happens.

Any advice please!!!

sufos

:shrug:

chalky
14-12-07, 14:42
Sufos,
The B.M.A. have an excellent little book called "Understanding Panic and Anxiety Attacks".(Found it in my local Chemist's.) It explains how our thinking can become distorted by anxiety.
Is your heart rate up because you are anxious??.. Well that is what actually physically happens,isn't it.Your body is "on alert". The muscles in our chest tighten up as we "prepare for battle".Yes,it is a horrible,uncomfortable feeling but it will pass.
Our bodies have an amazing ability to cope with this stress.Don't forget that.Draw strength from the fact that despite the discomfort you are still here and are actually coping.You can build on this over time in your recovery.
Best wishes,
Chalky

sufos
14-12-07, 17:14
Thanks for your reply, I did read your other thread about this book and it is something I am going to have a look for.
Yes my heart rate is up, but because I dont feel anxious I sometimes dont associate it with the panic, but I suppose it is my body trying to make me panic even more.

It seems to only happen at night so I think I subconsciously am waiting for it and it gets worse and worse.

Does that mean if I let the symptoms take control I would actually have a panic attack?

thanks
sufos