PDA

View Full Version : It can be done!

Nel
15-12-07, 14:12
Hi folks,

Haven't been on the site in a long time. I thought I’d come back on and let everyone know how I was doing, I think it’s important that those of us who overcome anxiety come back to let others know there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I was agoraphobic, suffering from severe obsessive thoughts and anxiety attacks. I had gotten to the stage where I couldn’t leave my house at all; opening the gate of my garden was enough to bring on an anxiety attack. I tried lots of meds but CBT was what finally sent me on the path to recovery. I had to learn new behaviours and (this was the most important) new reactions to my scary thoughts. To begin with I was very conscious of replacing my negative thoughts with positive, it took a great effort however as time has gone on (roughly a year has passed) I do it automatically. It is very difficult to explain how CBT works, and we all find our own ways of putting CB techniques into practice. I would urge anyone though with an anxiety disorder of any sort to give CBT a bash (and be willing to stick it out for the long haul).

So, from being terrified to step out of my garden gate I am now out and about all the time. This past week for example I have been out of town shopping, shopping in my local mall, bar lunch down the harbour and out to a restaurant for an evening meal with my husband and parents – all with zero anxiety. This has taken time, at first my outings were hellish and I could only manage short trips to relatives house and up and down my street with my dogs. I have had to keep at it; sometimes I felt like abandoning it but the further I pushed myself the easier it got. Going out now is no longer ‘practice’, it’s just an enjoyable experience and I actually look forward to relaxing and enjoying a nice meal out or a shopping expedition where I can pick things out instead of relying on the internet to buy all my stuff.
I hope agoraphobics can find some hope in my story xxx

Pink Panic
15-12-07, 14:22
Hi Nel,

I loved your story. WELL DONE :D :D :D in all you have achieved.

Stories like yours give others like me who are still on the journey to recovery hope and inspiration.
I wish you continued good health and all the best for the coming year.

Pink
x

dawny
15-12-07, 16:59
hi nel,

what a lovely achievement and an insperation to everyone.
well done you must and should be so proud of yourself.

i am also in recovery and have had a bad week with one thing and another, you have certainly inspired me to keep going.... so thank you xxxxx

i too am starting to enjoy life again and i didn't think i ever would, so i know exactly what you mean.

take care

dawny

mirry
15-12-07, 18:06
Nel , i am soooooooooooooooooo pleased for you :D ,

you put in the hard work and now you are living your life , fantastic :yesyes: .

can i ask how long you did cbt for ?
I did it for 7 months and i dont feel it was long enough cos i slipped back into unhealthy ways , mind you I do have a inner ear disorder so that doesnt help me feel confident , but I so want to be like you one day.

hugs

:hugs:

lorac
15-12-07, 19:07
Well done you have achieved so much. I am on the road to recovery but still have much to do.

Carol
x

honeybee3939
15-12-07, 23:53
Aww Nel

What a lovely post, so pleased to hear of your success!:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

It was lovely of you to come back and let us know how things are going:) .

I wish you good luck for the future too hun.:hugs:

Andrea
xxxxxxx

chalky
16-12-07, 00:36
Nel,

Your success is fantastic.
Keep up the good work.You are an inspiration for us.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Southern_Belle
16-12-07, 16:18
Hi Nel,

It is so nice to read about how far others have come and continue to go and your story is certainly a powerful one to prove that anxiety can be overcome.

Hugs,

Laura

Piglet
16-12-07, 16:41
Brilliant to read - most inspiring!!! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

happyone
17-12-07, 13:46
That was so nice to hear. Well done you for all your hard work:yesyes:
Happyone
xx