PDA

View Full Version : Upping the dosage?

Meggles
16-12-07, 00:56
Hi Guys,

I've been on Prozac for 9 years now for depression. In the last few months, anxiety has reared it's ugly head and I've never had it like this before - the all-day, constant anxiety. I usually just had a panic attack every now and then, and then it was gone.

But this is totally new, and utterly terrifying.

Anyway, I lost the plot yesterday, and Mum took me to the Emergency Department to see the psych doctor/nurse/whatever.

I wasn't admitted to the psych ward, thank goodness (or maybe I need to be!?)

The doctor seems to think that maybe after all these years my meds aren't working anymore, and I need to up the dosage.

Has anyone experienced this, and found that upping the dosage worked?

I really hope so :(

Yvonne
16-12-07, 09:39
Meggles

I think the Prozac has definitely stopped working. I was reading an interesting article about this the other day - when meds stop working.

You could try an increase in dosage but I think maybe a change of meds may be a better option. See what your gp says.

Oceanblue
16-12-07, 09:42
Yes, I have been taking medication for about 13yrs now, i'm 31.

Unfortunately your body can become immune to med's and a higher dosage is needed.

Once you start feeling better again, then later you maybe able to reduce them.

Hope you feel better soon x

Richie
16-12-07, 11:25
Hi Katie don't want to sound negative and it may mot be so in your case because everyone is different but i was on seroxat similar to prozac for 9 years too nearly 10 and it gave me back my life which i do thank God for.
But then just like you they stopped working, i'd had some big traumas and they didn't help for once! It was most strange, doc upped the dose but it made no difference so i came off them completely.
Maybe trying another anti depressent might help sometimes the older style ones can be good as well.
Anyway good luck and take care
Luv Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

strawberrie
17-12-07, 09:21
hi meggles, i am in exactly the same position as you - i have taken prozac for a few years now and it has worked really well, but the last couple of months my anxiety has gone through the roof - i've felt like i just couldnt get my head straight at all. I've decided (with my gp) to double my meds to 40mg, but i've only been doing this for a week or so, i cant tell if it has made a difference because my anxiety comes and goes along with my health worries. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Yvonne
17-12-07, 10:26
I have a good article about when ssri's stop working if anyone wants me to put it on the forum. I won't unless I'm specifically asked because I don't like to scare people.

Love to all

Meggles
17-12-07, 12:19
I have a good article about when ssri's stop working if anyone wants me to put it on the forum. I won't unless I'm specifically asked because I don't like to scare people.

Love to all

Personally, I have all my hopes and prayers and everything I have, riding on the fact that it's just my meds causing this, and once the upped dosage kicks in, I'll be fine again.

So I don't think I would like to read something about SSRI's not working.

I'm sure if anyone else is interested you could send them a PM or something.

Meggles
17-12-07, 12:20
hi meggles, i am in exactly the same position as you - i have taken prozac for a few years now and it has worked really well, but the last couple of months my anxiety has gone through the roof - i've felt like i just couldnt get my head straight at all. I've decided (with my gp) to double my meds to 40mg, but i've only been doing this for a week or so, i cant tell if it has made a difference because my anxiety comes and goes along with my health worries. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Oh excellent.. good to hear someone else is on the same thing as me.

I've only been on the upped dose for two days now, so I have a while to go before it kicks in, but hopefully it'll only take a couple of weeks (rather than a month or more like usual) seeing as I'm already on them.

Cassie
17-12-07, 14:33
Yvonne

I'd like to read the article honey so can you email it to me please?