PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not having success with meds/therapy???

Claire is scared
16-12-07, 11:30
Just curious to know if anyone out there might be in a similar position to my own.

Been in therapy most of my life. Been on many different meds- can only tolerate benzo's. Only benzo I can be prescribed in Klonopin. It's ok, but not great. I can tolerate it, but overall I don't think it helps much.

Essentially I feel like I'm somehow 'untreatable'. It's weird, I've tried all sort of alternative therapies,etc. and nothing.

So at this point in time I feel like it's all on me- there's nothing else that can help me, so I have to help myself (which I've been working on for years), yet I am still not at any sort of normal functioning level.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to do when 'traditional therapies' fail you. I just don't know how I'm going to get better.

Thanks

Yvonne
16-12-07, 18:09
Hallo Claire

I have tried a good few meds over the last three years and they haven't helped - not to the degree they should have anyway.

When my meds weren't working so well I was told that the meds "aren't a magic wand" - and I had to put a lot in myself. I did - just like you.

I wish you well but I'm afraid I have no advice other than to never give up on believing you can get better.xxx

Claire is scared
16-12-07, 22:46
Hallo Claire

I have tried a good few meds over the last three years and they haven't helped - not to the degree they should have anyway.

When my meds weren't working so well I was told that the meds "aren't a magic wand" - and I had to put a lot in myself. I did - just like you.

I wish you well but I'm afraid I have no advice other than to never give up on believing you can get better.xxx

Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for your kind words. I know there is no magic wand, but oh how we all would love one. I was just curious about what other types of treatments or coping mechanims people have found successful when therapy and meds don't work.

I know sometimes the best thing you can do is to not give up like you said. Sometimes it just feels like I can't take any more of it.

IrishPrincess
17-12-07, 01:22
Hiya Claire,

I tried a couple of therapies,didnt take meds just not for me,but then I did hypnotherapy which helped me a lot and got me feeling "normal" again,but now im back to square 1:weep: ,im in counselling now and finding it great,but im afraid to take the step because i just dont want to go through that hard work only to end up back here,but im sure i will get courage to take that jump.I think every1 is different and u just have to keep trying til u find what helps u,im sure u will and u will get there.:yesyes:

IrishPrincess:hugs:

Keep your heart open to dreams,
For as long as there's a dream,
There is hope,
And as long as there's hope,
There is joy in living.

Eva May
17-12-07, 12:04
i am currently on seroquel 50mg at night and I really think I might as well just come off them because when I know I'm going to have a bad night I have to take twice or three times my dose and they do not help at all during the day

Claire is scared
17-12-07, 19:55
Hiya Claire,

I tried a couple of therapies,didnt take meds just not for me,but then I did hypnotherapy which helped me a lot and got me feeling "normal" again,but now im back to square 1:weep: ,im in counselling now and finding it great,but im afraid to take the step because i just dont want to go through that hard work only to end up back here,but im sure i will get courage to take that jump.I think every1 is different and u just have to keep trying til u find what helps u,im sure u will and u will get there.:yesyes:

IrishPrincess:hugs:

Keep your heart open to dreams,
For as long as there's a dream,
There is hope,
And as long as there's hope,
There is joy in living.

Hi there,

I've always wanted to try hypnotherapy, but I can't afford it. You say it helped, but then you got worse again? What happened?

I'm sorry to hear your suffering and really feel for you. I guess all we can do is keep trying.

Thanks for your post.

Alabasterlyn
17-12-07, 21:13
Essentially I feel like I'm somehow 'untreatable'. It's weird, I've tried all sort of alternative therapies,etc. and nothing.

That is exactly how I feel. After having anxiety which escalated into agoraphobia for the past 37yrs I've pretty much come to accept that this is how I will always be.

I've tried psychotherapy, group therapy, CBT, hypnotherapy but none of them have worked for me. I currently take both benzos and antidepressants but I don't really think they work either.

Yvonne
18-12-07, 08:41
Claire

It's awful when you feel you have tried the meds and the therapy. CBT is good if you can really get your mind to it and practise it constantly.

My only suggestions are the normal ones like having company, speaking to close friends, getting some exercise in, getting totally distracted (games on here are good) and just never giving up.

One thing that I personally find comforting is to read a good book on the subject - Claire Weekes is always very comforting, my personal favourite at the moment is the American psychologist and author: Reid Wilson. Read some of his stuff he is good.

Having said that, not too much reading - dwelling on the subject is no good either. Try to read other stuff if you can - just use the anxiety focused books for times when you are feeling worse than usual. .... Only my opinion.

One thing I am noticing with a lot of the posts lately is that soooo many people are saying that the meds don't help them.... Scary.

june
18-12-07, 11:43
Yvonne, I think you have explained all that really well.
CBT is good BUT you have to be really committed and prepared to do as they suggest. I found that the suggestion of 'pretending I am on a beach in the sunshine' etc. really silly and could not do it.
I am in my sixties and a lot of the relaxation ideas sound pathetic - and yet they DO work for some people.
I had reflexology and it was very interesting - but the next day I had the most panic attacks I have ever had - It took months for me to work out why - I had actually been relaxed - and my brain did not know how to cope with that.
Do try other therapies - and "go with the flow".
I am now very scared of trying anything new because I fear there will be more panic.
You really need a friend / friends to work thro these things - Because of my panic etc I am a lonely person I just shut myself off from every one
I hear myself telling them "I am OK don't worry" (HA)
Keep on trying, Try to keep calm. Ask for help when you need it.
Good Luck
june

Yvonne
18-12-07, 19:49
Oh June

Thank you so much for your compliment by the way - I only type what I'm thinking.

Please don't be scared of trying therapies. Are you saying that your body didn't know how to cope with relaxation and reacted with anx? I kind of know what you mean -- I think. Sometimes our bodies won't relax at all - you can do as many relaxation tapes as you like and lie in as many hot baths surrounded by aromatherapy candles and you still can't calm down. This is an awful feeling - wired up I call it. I think this is what Claire Weekes might refer to as "sensitisation".

June - I am lonely too. Alone in the day because hubby at work and daugters living their lives. Loneliness makes this illness much worse - especially depression. With anxiety you do retreat from the world and your friends - you fear seeing them because you don't want them to see you as you are. It's a vicious circle.

June, are you on any meds? If not would you consider trying something to help with the anx?

You do need friends to work these things through with and that's where this website can help a lot. You can speak to people who feel exactly the same and you can support others which is always good for us.

Regarding friends; for the last three years I have wished I had a neighbour/friend here who suffers this illness who I could speak to and really be myself in front of. No such person exists unfortunately. However I do have a few very good friends online who feel the same and they have helped me tremendously.

Take care my friend.xx

yellowflower
18-12-07, 20:58
Hi Claire - sorry to hear you are unwell :hugs:

I am not at the stage where I can give much advice as I am relatively new to anxiety, panic and depression. I have had a few therapy sessions though where you talk about "the past" and found this very distressing.

I know it is a great method of therapy for some people to talk about "the past", but I find talking about bad memories very unhelpful. It only contributes to my misery. I am now trying out CBT (with a book at first, if I find it useful I will do CBT with a therapist), because it seems to be just what I need. I need to dwell in the present :emot-bounce: and not the past.

I guess you have tried CBT already ?

Claire is scared
19-12-07, 20:58
Claire

It's awful when you feel you have tried the meds and the therapy. CBT is good if you can really get your mind to it and practise it constantly.

My only suggestions are the normal ones like having company, speaking to close friends, getting some exercise in, getting totally distracted (games on here are good) and just never giving up.

One thing that I personally find comforting is to read a good book on the subject - Claire Weekes is always very comforting, my personal favourite at the moment is the American psychologist and author: Reid Wilson. Read some of his stuff he is good.

Having said that, not too much reading - dwelling on the subject is no good either. Try to read other stuff if you can - just use the anxiety focused books for times when you are feeling worse than usual. .... Only my opinion.

One thing I am noticing with a lot of the posts lately is that soooo many people are saying that the meds don't help them.... Scary.

Thanks for your post. Yes I've been in CBT for years and it's helped a bit, but not enough.

I agree- Claire Weekes' books are the best.

Thanks for your other suggestions.

Claire is scared
19-12-07, 21:00
Hi Claire - sorry to hear you are unwell :hugs:

I am not at the stage where I can give much advice as I am relatively new to anxiety, panic and depression. I have had a few therapy sessions though where you talk about "the past" and found this very distressing.

I know it is a great method of therapy for some people to talk about "the past", but I find talking about bad memories very unhelpful. It only contributes to my misery. I am now trying out CBT (with a book at first, if I find it useful I will do CBT with a therapist), because it seems to be just what I need. I need to dwell in the present :emot-bounce: and not the past.

I guess you have tried CBT already ?

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. Oh yeah, I've been in CBT for about 10 years. It helps a bit, but not enough.

Here's a list of other things I have tried:

herbal remedies
acupuncture/traditional chinese medicine
massage therapy
chromotherapy
Shakra therapy
Aromatherapy
Reflexology
EMDR therapy
CBT therapy
Meds
Vitamin/mineral supplements
Exercise
Breathing/relaxation exercises
Tons of reading self help books/research
Journaling/Affirmations
Lucinda Basett's Attacking Anxiety Program (a 14 week course)
Light box exposure
Yoga/Pilates
Nutrition/sleep routines (lifestyle type stuff)
and there's probably a few more....

Not much else left to try- other than Reiki or hynotherapy-both of which I cannot afford.

Thanks again for writing.

Claire is scared
19-12-07, 21:02
Yvonne, I think you have explained all that really well.
CBT is good BUT you have to be really committed and prepared to do as they suggest. I found that the suggestion of 'pretending I am on a beach in the sunshine' etc. really silly and could not do it.
I am in my sixties and a lot of the relaxation ideas sound pathetic - and yet they DO work for some people.
I had reflexology and it was very interesting - but the next day I had the most panic attacks I have ever had - It took months for me to work out why - I had actually been relaxed - and my brain did not know how to cope with that.
Do try other therapies - and "go with the flow".
I am now very scared of trying anything new because I fear there will be more panic.
You really need a friend / friends to work thro these things - Because of my panic etc I am a lonely person I just shut myself off from every one
I hear myself telling them "I am OK don't worry" (HA)
Keep on trying, Try to keep calm. Ask for help when you need it.
Good Luck
june

Hi June,

Yes I have been very committed to CBT- for over 10 years. However, it just hasn't been enough. That's why I tried the meds- which made things worse.

I posted a response of all the other things I've tried if your interested.

Thanks again

redfox_77
21-12-07, 21:38
good luck id say go for it again o to feel normal

june
23-12-07, 14:46
Thank you all for your advice - it really is good to be able to share whatever knowledge we get - even if we can not work on it ourselves.
It really is "whatever works" have a go!!!!!!
The therapy of looking into the past - I did find interesting.
My early childhood was the 40s and 50s where girls (and women) knew there place.
I know that, at the time we accept what is happening - BUT as in my case in later years began to resent it.
Example: as a child then, you did not choose your clothes - "You silly child"
Being the oldest - it was always my fault when somthing went wrong.
You always had to prove how good you were - always striving to please - never quite getting there.
I got married and lost my job - they did not employ married women.
Being a girl meant looking after all the older relatives and my hubby (worked away alot) and three children.
Always being referred to by any title - mom, aunt,sis, my daughter, my neice - very rarely by name.
Also being a "stay at home mum and carer to "all" You also get the stigma that you do not know much - Only went to an ordinary school - no exams etc. etc.
There came a point when the world turned upside down - 4 elders died, hubby lost his job, 2 girls went off with boyfriends and the younger one to college.
I did not know it then But i had been living on my nerves and they snapped.
To prove I had a brain I went to night school and took 'o' Level English / a teacher offered me a job as a Volunteer / then i 'did' sociology -went to college and University. I did great But the people who mattered "my Birth family" had all died and did not see that their daughter was clever after all.
My hubby and our kids are delighted and very proud of what I achieved.
What I am trying to say is that I am working through all the hurts and regrets left from my younger years.
The road has many lumps and bumps as many of you have seen from my posts.
BUT I can only keep trying and with your help I just might get there.
Christmas is a bit rough as it is for a lot of people but sing a few carols have a weep and chin up put the show back on the road.
All best wishes to all
June
PS I had no idea there were so many therapies.

Bill
28-12-07, 03:51
June,

You've made 2 very valid comments -

1) I am now very scared of trying anything new because I fear there will be more panic.
2) You really need a friend / friends to work thro these things

I look after my wife who suffers from severe mental health problems but I've also suffered badly from anxiety. It became so bad that I went through a very rough time with my anxiety symptoms which caused me to do allsorts of things to myself. I also took various medications and tried different therapies.

However, for the past few years I've coped ok without the need of meds or anymore therapies but I do still live with anxiety. I've just learnt new and better ways of coping with it.

Regarding the first point, to learn to cope with anxiety we Have to go through experiencing the panic it throws at us. Only that way can we build our confidence to prove to ourselves that we Can cope no matter what it throws at us. We also become less afraid because we've regained control of our fears. In this way we also learn what to do to control the symptoms and find out what works best. We build an understanding of what we're trying to control rather than being sidetracked by the symptoms. It is often "fear" that prevents us from confronting our fears. Our fear likes to keep us under its control.

The second point is very true. So often we go to places for therapy like being in a classroom. They tell us what to do then expect us to put those things into practise when we're alone and terrified. I wish for sufferers who would like it, for therapists to visit people in their homes where the symptoms are at their worst or be with sufferers when they're out in shops or transport etc when the sufferer is experiencing a panic attack.

I think they expect too much say of an agoraphobic to expect them to step outdoors alone without support. How can therapy really be effective when you're sitting relaxed in a therapists room when the problems need someone there at the time.

Of course there are also those who can be helped by sitting and talking but for those alone who can't get out, I think they ask alot.

I think to learn to cope with anxiety is like putting together a package to suit an individuals needs. We're all different with different problems but I Do believe that Everyone can be helped with the right package for each individual. Sometimes just support can make all the difference between failure and success!

Having a supportive partner can be of Huge benefit but not everyone is understanding of anxiety sufferers which makes the task so much harder but Not impossible!!!:hugs:

I didn't get any actual support from my wife because she is too ill herself but I have learnt to cope from things I've learnt.

june
28-12-07, 14:18
Bill I quite agree that FEAR is the key.
fear of the unknown - we do not know why our head buzzes, our hands shake, we feel faint, we are so terrrified we are about to die that common sense and reasoning are no where in sight.
Any person doctor etc that we might see - CANNOT or will not - explain to our satisfaction The cause of these and many other symptoms. Other than to say they are caused by stress.
What is stress? I do not feel stressed until these symptoms hit and they hit so suddenly - you are in a state of panic.
Try telling your self "it is only stress, don't worry" ..................
The first report I saw from the psychiatrist said "Mrsxxxxxxxxx is a very confident and knowledgeable person"
I ranted at him that he had no idea what I went through as the only time I saw him was at a time of day of my choosing accompanied by my husband in a safe and secure envirement.
He was speechless.
He has since asked me to consider being a voluntreer in an axiety manage group. I cannot control my own anxiety so how can I help others ???
As you say it is good to know that there are friends who listen out for us on here. Best wishes
june

Bill
29-12-07, 02:27
He has since asked me to consider being a voluntreer in an axiety manage group. I cannot control my own anxiety so how can I help others ???

.............because you can empathise with others and how they feel. In turn they will be able to do the same for you and in that way you gain friends who all share the same problem, and as a result we don't feel so alone.:hugs:

I tried to do the same in my area but there just weren't enough people attending to make the group viable.

You could help people more than you realise and others would welcome your empathy and understanding.

You shouldn't be a "volunteer" but a "participating member". When you feel able I think sharing with others in person would be of great help to you in more ways than one, and you would be a great help to others too!...but you have to feel ready.:hugs:

june
29-12-07, 12:31
Bill, I was sorry to hear that you goup was not successful. It could have been wrong time of day or that people were tooo embarrassed.
Anyway - Thank you for your suppport - I had not thought of it that way. My thoughts tend to be negative Who would want to listen to me???? or I sound like an overbearing know-it-all.
Very good at putting my foot in it (ha ha)
Best wishes
june

Bill
31-12-07, 01:53
Hello June,

Anxiety makes all of us think in a negative way. I think it's part of our worrying nature! We always fear the worst.

In a group you'd be no different from anyone else. You'd all be in the same boat and so everyone would relate to what others say. Everyone would listen to each other! You'd have alot to gain from attending a group-friendship, support etc.

I must admit I worry about how I come across so I try to think about the words I use! We all put our foot in it at times and feel bad about it afterwards. We have to remind ourselves that we always do our best and we can only apologise when we get something wrong or didn't mean how it sounded. If the apology is rejected then we can do no more. The important thing is to forgive ourselves and not to beat ourselves up for others failings in not understanding that we made a mistake.

I should think we're all sensitive people on here so we also have to remember to not react on our sensitivities when they're touched. I think of it like a "live wire". Sometimes our sensitivities make us think that what was said was intentional because someone's touched our "live wire" so sometimes we zap them before we think and then realise our mistake and feel bad about it! If we've always been treated in a certain way by others, we start looking for the same things in what others say who wouldn't even think of thinking such things about us.

Sometimes our negative thinking makes us look at everything And everyone in a negative way so it creates barriers preventing us to put trust in genuine people because our negative thinking makes us look for them to "get at us" as others have always done in the past.

How people have treated us can create our negative thinking. It can sometimes take a long time to re-build trust, to realise not everyone is the same and to change our negative way of thinking.

Sorry, I digressed! I think your reply stirred a few additional general thoughts!:hugs:

Yvonne
31-12-07, 18:20
Hi All

Bill, everything you say rings bells and I have to say again that you really do know this illness inside out.

June, when I read how much you have achieved I just thought you are a wonderful woman and you have achieved so so much. You should be incredibly proud of yourself.

One of the psychiatrists I was seeing also said that I should consider working for MIND in some kind of advocacy role. She called me emotionally intelligent and a "people person" - and said that I would be great at helping others with anxiety. This woman was seeing me in a kind of a comfort zone - I felt very comfortable with her and my confident side was coming out because I knew she understood me. Trouble is these people don't see us at the times we need them to - when we can be quivering wrecks lol!!!

Love to all xxx

june
04-01-08, 13:39
Sorry Bill and Yvonne,
I was not ignoring your replies -my phone line has been off since 31st Dec back on briefly yesterday - keeping my fingers crossed it will stay on now.

Bill in your last post you give a lot to be thought about / a lot to agree with and lots of understanding it is a pleasure to read. Bill you tried to set up a group but have you studied to become a councellor? you seem to have a good understanding of the complexities of our anxieties.
Yvonne thankyou for the compliment - I loved learning and then I seemed to hit a brick wall - I could not remember my pass word and then my speech went 'odd' other students looked horrified BuT luckily the tutor had seen it before and recognised major panic. I was **** scared of computers for ages and scared of class room atmosphere - so I am at a point where I am recognising symtoms, sometimes I can deal with them sometimes I freak.

Over Christmas the boiler broke down = no central heating no hot water, 4 days = then my phone went and the other workmen did not turn up to repair the window sash. I get up tight when workmen do not arrive but am very good at staying calm on the phone. I suppose when the brain has something logical and interesting to do we are OK.
I sometimes like to go into town window shopping BUT my brain starts to panic where am I going? what am I supposed to be doing?
So put the brain into action (wake it up)tell it I am going to ---- for a cup of tea. it is then occupied working out how to get there.
Does any of that make sense????
About an hour ago I stretched and something pained in my abdomen this caused big panic - have I damaged my insides???? Oh dear!! Logically it was just a stretch ( ihope ha ha )
Best wishes
june

Bill
05-01-08, 02:52
Hello June,

I have been told I should consider becoming a counsellor but I feel I wouldn't be able to keep detached. When I've seen counsellors they've always asked questions but it's always felt "cold" because they have to be able to switch off their emotions for their own protection otherwise they wouldn't be able to remain objective. I couldn't do that because I know I'm too sensitive and I'd care too much. I wouldn't be able to switch off.

A little tip for you. When you go out, make a list of the things you want to do. Put every place you want to visit in order on your list. Take the list with you to remind you where you want to go next. Plan your trip before you go out, picture the places you want to go to and how you're going to get to each place on the list. Make it a habit. This isn't because you're likely to forget- it's to keep your mind focussed away from panicky thoughts. I do this all the time and I find my mind is then focussed on what I want to do at each place in turn.

If you go out without any clear objectives, your mind will lose focus, you'll feel lost and you'll be more liable to feeling panicky. As you say, a clear logical approach and we do ok.

Hope all your problems are sorted and you don't get any more!:hugs:

Yvonne, I think people see the strength in us that we fail to see because of how anxiety makes us feel. In reality we all have more strength than we realise.:hugs:

june
05-01-08, 14:41
Bill :yesyes: I have printed out your tip for going shopping - what a brain wave:hugs:
I am not agrophobic BUT I do have problems leaving the house - sometimes I sit and cry with frustration thinking "What's the point?"
I have given myself a goal of getting to a shop about a hundred yards from my house - if I get to there without a panic I can get to town.
Good start but then I do tend to wander aimlessly around - I then seem to go 'brain dead' and have to hurry home in panic.

Your advice should help to organise my thoughts before and after leaving the house.
I really do believe what you said about negative thinking, and it is very hard to change our thoughts (the imp on the shoulder keeps reminding us to be fearful of something - does not matter what!!)
When I was studying my thoughts were occupied with written research - and working with groups of students to achieve a common goal.
But then I began computer graphics and 'such' and I could not cope with the loneliness of a computer class - everyone preoccupied on their own.
Not even a class break for tea.
No conversation either - and me such a chatterbox:D

Thats when I had my MAJOR panic and was on meds in bed for 2 weeks - very very scary.
Any way slowly improving with the help from this site - getting, giving and sharing advice / tips and information thats very very helpful.:yesyes:
Thank you
Best wishes
june

Yvonne
05-01-08, 18:47
June,

The computer lessons sound a bit intense to be honest - maybe it's a bit too early in recovery for you to be doing it? I just don't believe in pushing ourselves too hard with this stuff. Go for stuff that is more achievable where you know you will be more successful.

Now ... Bill has done it again - wonderful advice. The list making stuff so you know exactly where you are going to go is the perfect solution. By having a list to follow you won't be pondering on thoughts of "do I go here do I go there "- and of course those sort of thoughts would lead you to get panicky feelings.

Now Bill, don't want you to listen in on this so shut your ears and close your eyes. This man should be a therapist and as he said, some therapists do come across as pretty cold. We need understanding therapists who show empathy and understanding. Bill would be soooooo good.

I have to admit though that I did have a good psychologist a little while ago who was trying to knock some cbt into my head. She had tears in her eyes when I was talking to her one day and describing how bad the panics could be. She told me that I must not push myself so hard and that there is a time to say "No! I aint gonna do it today". Taking a break from trying is very very important. This therapist proved to me that they do have feelings and it isn't just a job to some of them.

Love to all.

Bill
06-01-08, 03:30
Thank you both of you.:blush:

I've met some therapists who have been very good but also some who should be doing something else! :lac: It was a psychologist who helped me most. He explained everything to me and showed me options. I also picked up advice from various sources including my wifes cpn and then tried putting it into practise. I just know that everyone can be helped with the support that's right for their fears.

We can only do as we feel able at that time. If we push ourselves when we don't feel up to it, we'll fail and beat ourselves up so do more harm than good.

It's important to take the right steps, when we feel up to it and Not beat ourselves up if we find it too much. There is always another day as they say then suddenly it clicks and we never forget.

June, let me know how you get on with the list method. In time it may become a useful habit or you'll find you'll no longer need it because often when our confidence builds via a method, our fear of panics also diminishes because the method has stopped us thinking about panics and so they stop happening. Good luck.

Being in a classroom is very difficult when you have anxiety because unless you can get totally engrossed in what you're learning, your mind will wander to your surroundings. Finding a distraction method is also difficult because you're not able to talk to anyone.

I always find we need something involved to focus our minds or we need to be doing something active within a group such as talking, dancing, a hobby or sport. Sitting, listening and trying to concentrate on something boring without being able to move is much more difficult, just like sitting at home watching TV because it's not enough to occupy the mind so we wander onto negative thoughts. :hugs:

june
13-01-08, 15:32
Hi Bill,
I have had a go at your idea of maing a list:blush:
A little tip for you. When you go out, make a list of the things you want to do. Put every place you want to visit in order on your list. Take the list with you to remind you where you want to go next. Plan your trip before you go out, picture the places you want to go to and how you're going to get to each place on the list. Make it a habit. This isn't because you're likely to forget- it's to keep your mind focussed away from panicky thoughts. I do this all the time and I find my mind is then focussed on what I want to do at each place in turn.

If you go out without any clear objectives, your mind will lose focus, you'll feel lost and you'll be more liable to feeling panicky. As you say, a clear logical approach and we do ok.
AT first like all new things I found it a bit weird BUT I have had a go - not a very detailed list BUT it makes me smile :yesyes: every time I look at it. I remember posts from Forum and the problems others have had and I think
"I am here and so far I am doing OK"
Thanks Bill
Best wishes
June

Bill
13-01-08, 19:36
Hello June,
It's lovely to hear you're doing ok.:hugs:

I know it will feel a bit weird at first but new things do. With time it'll become a habit until perhaps one day you'll feel you no longer need it because maybe in part it'll help you to re-train your mind to think in a new positive way about going out.

It's always worked for me because it's stopped me thinking "inwardly" at my feelings and I'm very pleased to hear it may be helping you too.

A bit like when I was at the dentists recently. My tummy started feeling a bit funny probably because it was empty!...but it made me focus on my sensations and being in a dentists chair it didn't help so I closed my eyes and pictured what i needed to do when the appt was over. I nearly dozed off but it worked in keeping me relaxed and that's what mattered most to me.

I hope making a list is just as effective for you!:hugs:

june
14-01-08, 13:24
Thanks Bill.
I will keep on trying.
best wishes
june