PDA

View Full Version : Please help

sufos
16-12-07, 19:59
I have just found out Im pregnant and have been taking propranolol for my anxiety.

Really worried as to what effect this will have on baby and if there is any alternative medications that are safe.

Has anybody else been in this situation?

I am seeing my doctor on wednesday but worried about continuing taking meds. but I do know you are not supposed to stop taking meds suddenly.

Any advice???????

Sufos

samc100
16-12-07, 20:15
My understanding is that the concern regarding meds and pregnancy is that there is little research on it ( hard to recruit people to do it!). So please do not stress too much. Weds is very near so I think I would continue until I have seen my Dr and can discuss with them what to do. There are some meds that can be taken during pregnancy and I am sure they will discuss the options with you then. xxxxx

CliveL
16-12-07, 20:17
If you are worried then phone nhs direct

sufos
16-12-07, 20:30
Thanks for your replies I am trying not to get too stressed about it,
hopefully doctor can advise am considering rescue remedy as read alot of posts on here about it.

Sufos

Gabby
16-12-07, 20:56
Hiya

I was on propanolol when i got pregnant and was taking them for about 8 weeks before i found out. dr did take me off them straightaway cos they thought i would be ok without them but my understanding is it is all a balance. If they think u will be worse without them than the possible side effects might be then they will keep u on them and monitor you.

My baby was perfectly healthy btw - had no probs at all

Also I think something about being pregnant made everything feel ok for me cos i was much less anx during that whole nine months than i have ever been. Guess its cos ur body is doing everything its supposed to be?

Anyway, congrats on being pregnant, discuss it with ur doc and make sure u tell him all ur fears so he knows the full picture.

Gabby

chalky
16-12-07, 21:16
Sufos,
You could call into your local Chemist in the morning for advice.
Good luck with your pregnancy.
Best wishes,
Chalky

sufos
17-12-07, 16:36
Thanks for replies
Glad everything with yours was ok gabby, makes me feel alot better. I agree the stress without the meds would probably be far worse for the baby then anything, Fingers crossed. Its funny though I have been feeling alot better over thelast few weeks maybe it is something to do with this.

I now have a reason for all my aches and pains LOL

I will discuss options with my doc this week and see what she says.

Thanks everyone

sufos
:yesyes:

Richie
17-12-07, 17:12
Although its tough going probably best not to take any medications while pregnant, just wouldn't risk it don't think.
see what your Gp says
Richie