PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Library

Jimbo
18-12-07, 14:43
I've been putting it off for ages, but today I managed it and it went really well. :yesyes:

Normally when I go out, I go to do something I have to do, then rush home as fast as possible without a moment to think, which is when I start panicking. I wanted to go and spend some time just doing something pleasurable outside of home and take my time. Someone suggested the library and it seemed doable.

I dealt with the lady at the desk and checked my card was ok. Had a good look round at what stuff they have and found a couple of books to take out. It's just a small local library as I'm quite a way out of the city so there isn't much, but I can request books if I want.

Then I noticed they had some really comfy looking sofas and thought why not, I'll sit down and read a magazine for a while and just watch people coming and going. I felt totally relaxed and no anxiety or panic at all. I actually found it really calming and quiet in there. It was interesting seeing all the strange characters coming and going (They are whole story of their own, lol).

I even felt comfortable enough to take my jumper off and expose my scarred arms, which is an achievement for me. The first time I've shown them in public. No one stared or said anything as I feared.

So I feel good about it, I think I will try to go at least once a week when I'm feeling up to it. It's not much but it's a start at going out on my own.

Jim :hugs:

sheena
18-12-07, 14:53
Hi Jim

I am so glad you made yourself go to the library and found it a pleasureable expericene.

When I was coming out of my agoraphobia the library was one of the places I went to. It is so quite there and nobody wants to harass you or speak to you, so need to panick.

Like you, I love to people watch.

Sheena

Like y

dawny
18-12-07, 15:06
jimbo

thats so brilliant, well done mate.

i too like to look at other people...it helps take my mind of panic...

well done again

dawny

Piglet
18-12-07, 15:16
Oh Jim what a lovely thread to read - soooo soooo proud of you and full of admiration, the pleasure you got out of that came across so well I could actually feel it myself!!

Well done :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers:

mirry
18-12-07, 17:18
well done jim , :yesyes:

The Library is a lovely place to be , you can never get bored there.:flowers:

sandlin
18-12-07, 17:25
good on ya mate- that sounded like you enjoyed it.

Linda xx

Quirky
19-12-07, 13:47
Well done Jim :yesyes:

Lisa x

honeybee3939
19-12-07, 14:46
Hi Jim

So pleased to read of your achievement.:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

WELL DONE !:yesyes: im real pleased for you, hope theres plenty more trips to follow:hugs: .

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

Panic1971
19-12-07, 14:49
Well done Jim - you should be really proud of yourself.

chalky
19-12-07, 14:52
Hi Jim

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Well done.It is so inspiring to hear stories like yours.

Best wishes,
Chalky

Nibbles
20-12-07, 17:23
What a lovely thread to read Jim, well done! :yesyes: I'm so pleased you didn't feel anxious and you really pushed yourself so should feel proud. Your thread did make me smile though because I'm a librarian and have felt anxious at work on many occasions. So next time you go in if you feel a little anxious just think the librarian might be as well! :D

Take care,

Mike :)

happyone
20-12-07, 18:07
Oh Jim,
I missed this when you wrote it! I am so so so so proud of you:hugs: I really and truelly am. :yesyes:
I am so dead pleased for you.
I take my big un to a reading group at the library and it is easier to stay than faf about dropping her off and picking her up. I love just sitting looking through the books and cds. I don't always have the concentration span to read so I just browse for books that I might fancy when I do!
Happyone
xxx

trac67
20-12-07, 22:12
Well done Jim on a huge achievement, that was so good to read :yesyes:

Keep up the good work

Love

Trac xxx

Southern_Belle
21-12-07, 13:24
Jim,

What a wonderful idea! I'm very happy that you were able to find a place to go that was quiet and peaceful and you had a good time. Well done!

Hugs,

Laura