PDA

View Full Version : What anti-ds help with sleep ?

yellowflower
18-12-07, 15:47
Hi everyone

Is anyone an insomniac (long term problem since I was a child) ?

I have been on Zolpidem for over 2 months now but it is wearing off, I frequently wake and have to take a second one at around 2 - 3 am to sleep until until 6 - 7 am (the pack says don't take more than 10 mg at a time so I take one 5 mg first and then a second 5 mg when I wake up and can't go back to sleep).

I would like to start anti-ds to get out of general health anxiety and depression. I did a few sessions of therapy, but need a much quicker result as I have a 3.5 years old son and worry about how my depression may effect him. I am very calm and collected with him most days and spend almost all day with him at home, but sometimes I get angry with him and this makes my depression even worse as my son is the most important thing in my life. I absolutley can't live without him.

So what anti-d do you recommend to help with sleep ? I want to give up the Zolpidem asap. I really can't stand medication and only thinking of anti-ds out of total desparation.

I need to sort out my sleep and depression at the same time with ONE tablet if at all possible.

Jimbo
18-12-07, 16:07
Hey Flower,

It's a hard one to answer as some people get on better with some things than others. Starting AD's isn't something to do unless you really need it, and needs careful monitoring, they can have nasty side effects. So bare that in mind and talk things over with your GP carefully.

Try absolutely everything else you can in terms of sleep 'health' - setting regular bedtimes and wake times. Calming yourself before going to bed, etc. There's lots more info to be found here.

Mirtazapine and Trazodone, both different types of anti-depressant are the commonly prescribed ones that have a sedative effect. All of the 'Tri-Cyclic' AD's like Amiltriptyline have sedating effects but also have a lot of other effects like dry mouth, constipation, headaches too. The thing to remember with AD's is that any sedative effect is considered a 'side-effect' and will usually reduce over time.

Another thing to consider would be a low dose of an anti-psychotic medication. These also have sedating effects and some are licenced for use with anxiety too. There's too many to mention here.

The trouble is with anything that sedates you is that your brain get used to them and eventually becomes tolerant so there isn't an easy solution. But it is better to use something that is non-addictive for long term use compared to Zopiclone which is addictive and will eventually make your sleep worse in the long run.

Have a really good chat with an understanding GP is the best advice, they can talk you through the different types and their positives and negatives.

Jim :hugs:

Yvonne
18-12-07, 19:20
If you suffer with insomnia that could be part of the depression. Most of the ad's I've been on have all had the side effect of causing insomnia. Jim has given you great advice above and he has mentioned the anti depressants that are more sedating.

I know you get a little angry with your little one at times - but isn't that pretty normal?

I know you want to be a good dad and want to be the best dad - actually to me you sound like you already are a good dad to be worrying as you are.

As Jimbo said, have a good chat with the gp. Chamomile tea is good or try using a relaxation cd at bedtime.

Good luck.

yellowflower
18-12-07, 21:10
Jimbo and Yvonne, thank you both very much for great support. I will consider what you have said carefully. I am very anti-medication, so generally never take anything. The past year has been absolute misery (my beautiful mother died in Feb. at 67) and just as I was getting better I became physically ill (flu, indigestion, lots of antibiotics for suspected kidney infection for the past 3 months or so). The blasted over-use of anti-biotics has left me with a Helicobacter stomach infection so another round of anti-bs now to get rid of this one :mad:

By the way I am a woman Yvonne, I know I sound like a bloke sometimes though because I am not very girly :D

giddy
18-12-07, 21:23
My GP prescribed me a 2 week course of amitryptaline in the summer when I was having problems sleeping. He said 2 weeks were all I would need to get myself back into regular sleeping. I didn't take them in the end and had accupuncture instead which worked to a degree. I also made sure I kept very busy during the day to tire myself out and got lots of fresh air. My sleep still isn't great, but it is much better. Have you tried any of the herbal products - valerian is supposed to be good for sleep?

yellowflower
19-12-07, 08:07
Thanks giddy, unfortuanately I have tried every herbal remedy in the past, they are just not as quick or effective when I get into such a severe episode of insomnia.