PDA

View Full Version : OCD is cool

leafar
19-12-07, 00:14
Ive always had little quirks, like avoiding cracks in pavements, making up phrases and sayings at certain times, and more recently double checking things like making sure the oven is off or checking that i have my keys when im out and about (which i do a lot) and all kinds of weird stuff like that. Its only in recent years that ive realised that all of this is OCD.

Part of me thinks i should cut it out, and to a large extent thats true (although checking if the oven is off etc isnt too bad as long as it doesnt get ridiculous), but another part of me thinks its all quite funny.

I do realise that for some people its really bad and i dont want to reduce it to a joke, but humour is important. As long as its kept under control i think its not so bad. If anyone watched big brother last year, Pete, the one with tourretes, said he loves it. I thought that was weird, but i think thats a good attitude to have.

So for all the crazy people out there who have to switch the lights on and off 17 times otherwise their whole family will die in a car crash, theyre the ones that make the world go round and keep it interesting. Im sure God is looking down and thinking "What a bunch of crazy people ive created. Nice"

Richie
19-12-07, 08:38
Hey Leafar thanks for posting this , although i don't suffer from OCD i still lose my perspective on the odd aspects of my agoraphobia & social phobia. When you reminded me of Pete on BB i realised all this TRYING to be "normal" is honestly ruining my life and wearing me down. Be different and proud of it :) have a full blown panic attack, look stupid and don't care.
First time in my teens i had anxiety and got over it through CBT, the therapist didn't sit me down and make me do relaxation exercises, no he told me to get out there and really deliberately act crazy ! It did the trick worked like a trreat. All these years later 2nd time around didn't have him to remind me so had almost forgotten all those things to think that are positive.
Thanx Richie xxxxxx

chalky
19-12-07, 09:19
Hi Leafar,

What a positive attitude!!!

Like Richie,I don't suffer from OCD but I do think that trying to adopt a more positive outlook is a key factor in managing my anxiety problems.
I try to do this on a daily basis-smaller,more manageable doses.
After all,tiny acorns become great oak trees.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Tom_M
20-12-07, 16:35
OCD is wide spread throughout the world and considered normal - especially in religion. Being a Catholic, but now a die-hard atheist, I couldn't understand what all the silly gestures where about when you went to mass - kneeling, making the sign of the cross, touching your forehead lips, etc. It was so silly, the guys who invented all this silliness must of had OCD in a big way.
But religion is big comfort to a lot of people, so if you are a believer, then best of luck to you.

Filthy1
13-01-08, 17:15
Amen! Embrance your mental side I say! It makes you different to everyone else, I think it makes you see the world in a different way, makes you more insightfull and understanding! My boyfriend loves that Im a compltet lunatic and i think thats half the battle with OCD is to just accept it, Ive got OCD, so what big deal, there are people a lot worse off than me and really its not that bad because i CAN control it :D

Richie
13-01-08, 19:53
thats a real great post filthy i love it when people make comments like this cause it does help alot
thanx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
luv rich xxx

NewDawnFades
15-01-08, 07:22
Now this is a good post!!! As far back as I can possibly remember, I have dealt with OCD. Sometimes it rough, but I still find ways to get things done. In fact, some of the brightest people that I have ever known, have OCD. Thank you for this encouraging post.

mynydd
18-01-08, 22:37
Totally agree, although I wouldnt have gone so far as to say OCD is cool. OCD is a part of me, I have tried to 'shake it off', but it just wont f@@k off! I have learnt to live with it and have used it to my advantage in work especially, I notice things that others may not.
OCD sucks but it is a part of me and I just roll with it ................ shit happens!
:ohmy:

Richie
20-01-08, 20:12
totally agree although i haven't got OCD i think this attitude can apply to all the issues on here whether it be OCD, SA, Agoraphobia, specific phobias etc
It pays to be a little crazy:) Wish i could practice what i preach though lol
Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx