PDA

View Full Version : learning to ignore

yrinik
19-12-07, 11:43
hi all

i am just wondering can i get an opinion from anyone i especially suffer from intrusive thoughts and for the last few months was stuck in the cycle of huge periods of anxiety when i thought of something bad these thoughts could be anything from why the world is the way it is to self harm (even though i have no intention of inflicting self harm on myself i am learning to ignore these thoughts and not get so anxious when they come is this a good idea just to ignore them???

chalky
19-12-07, 12:28
Hi Yrinik,

That intrusive type of thinking is a big part of me.
I think it is learned behaviour-and so it has to be un-learned.
For the really,repetitive disturbing thoughts,I have learned to stop what I am doing and rationally analyse them.It can be mentally tiring to start with but,in the long run,it seems to be working.
Constantly challenging negative thinking will hopefully lead to a brighter future.
Thanks for bringing up a really important issue.
I'm looking forward to reading further posts on this issue.
Best wishes,
Chalky

yrinik
19-12-07, 12:38
ya i suffered with this for 3years until i came to this site i didnt know it was apart of anxiety but now i know and have read up on it i know these thoughts cannot hurt me and i have noticed i am becoming calmer about them thank you for your reply it has certainly made me think i can challenge it and move on too a brighter future with hard work xxxx

lesleyB
19-12-07, 14:48
Yes just ignore them and don't attach any importance to them, as this gives them the power over us that makes us more anxious.:flowers:
Lesleyb

littlemiss_sunshine
19-12-07, 17:22
usually distracting myself away from such thoughts work for me, thats probably wat i'd suggest for u too.
x