PDA

View Full Version : Flight on Friday - panicking already

Barcelona
19-12-07, 20:29
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I have been suffering from panic attacks over the past 5 years. Im due to fly back home to the UK for Xmas on Friday after plucking up courage to take a flight (I was seriously thinking about taking the coach from Barcelona to Birmingham).

My panic attacks on the street/at home (or usually in the supermarket) I can usually cope with - not very nice at all, but I can bear with it.

What im worried about is having one on the aeroplane, and making a fool out of myself. Im also worried (and this sounds stupid, that im going to be that stressed out and my heart will be beating so fast, that I will give myself a heart attack).

My wife's mother has sent some Valium in the post which I hope will arrive here tomorrow - I don't know how i'll be able to get on that plane on Friday if they don't arrive.

If anyone has any tips or advice id love to hear from you.

Thanks

Allye
19-12-07, 20:50
Good Evening

I have suffered panic attacks and anxiety (work and supermarkets are the usual places). My biggest fear is fainting in public or otherwise making a big fool of myself.

I have just been away on business which involved flying both ways (this is the first flight I have taken on my own since developing PAs).

I found the worrying about going was much worse than the actual flying. To cope I left myself just enough time to check in without sitting round for hours worrying, took a really good book and sat near to the loos whilst on the plane.

It worked I felt slightly anxious but did not have a PA.

Good luck and have a good Xmas

sweet_petite
20-12-07, 08:21
hi barcelona,

just posted a thread about something similar. like you i am getting all worked up about going on a plane this weekend.

last time I was on a plane I took valium, it made me feel really out of it and i guess it did help (it made the 4 hours seem a lot quicker!)

some tips that have helped me without taking valium are

distraction - i usually chat to someone I'm with (I don't know if you're going with anyone?) if not just talk to whoever you're sat next to. on my last plane journey I was so lucky to be sat next to some lovely ladies who understood what I was going through and actually helped me through it, people are more understanding than we give them credit for sometimes! other than that, the tv/radio on the plane, reading can all help

breathing - i was always quite sceptical about the whole controlled breathing thing, but if you try breathing in using your diaphragm, i thinks it's a count of 4 in and 6 out it really does help, I usually start doing it as soon as I can feel the anxiety coming on and it does work

I hope some of these things work for you!, but just to let you know that you're not alone in having these feelings :)

takecare x

dawny
20-12-07, 10:33
hi ya mate,

remember barcelona firstly you are coming home to loved ones so try and focus on that.

secondly the airline staff are trained to help you if you are a nervous passinger.

and thirdly when we have a panic attack, nobody notices around you, every thing carries on as usual.

i flew to new york this year and was scared i gotta say, but i also thought to myself that before pa/anx i loved flying and travelling, so i hung on to that thought and really did enjoy the flight, use the on board enterainment and really distract yourself and remember mate p/a are horrible but really cant harm you,

enjoy your time at home and have a good christmas mate

my thoughts are with you

dawny