PDA

View Full Version : Curse word OCD? Lol!

Gryphoenix
20-12-07, 18:16
I don't really have rituals, per say, I used to do it more when I was little but my major OCDish problem is intrusive thoughts. Not thoughts of harming people or anything but mostly trying not to think of stuff.

I never swear (I think I did it all of 3 times in my life, two were by accident, all of this in elementary school).

Except in my mind, if I'm angry or upset it'll appear and I'll feel terrible for using it and try to mask it with an 'okay' word. I've made surrogate words that sound similar so that I can quickly think of that instead of the curse word. So in my mind I'll have this whole slew of random babble words instead of an actual curse if I stub my toe. :wacko:

Sometimes if I've read something or watched a movie with a lot of cursing this doesn't work and I do think of it and it gets me all anxious and upset. I don't mind watching movies with them in it but sometimes the next day or so it'll have filtered through. Then of course I try very hard not to think of it--then what happens? :D

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or is it only me? It makes me feel nuts when I'm sitting in a chair trying not to think of curse words! :D

woofytalk
21-12-07, 01:12
Ha, yes!!!

OMG, when i used to have meetings at work, I would have this irrepressible feeling like I was going to scream out curse words and be ostracized. So I would repeat curse words in my head obsessively to keep my mouth shut. LOL. No good.

Richie
21-12-07, 09:36
HI there pheonix do you think the swear word obsessiom and also phobias happen because we all are trying to be too perfect too much of the time. Perhaps not conciously but sub conciously ? maybe from way back in our childhood. Thoughts like," don't swear it's not nice" "you must be polite and courteous all the time for people to like you" "Don't do that or go there cause you'll hurt yourself" "Don't show yourself up in public" etc etc
Just a thought
Richie xxxxxx

Filthy1
13-01-08, 17:12
I know this is going to sound a bit obvious :S but Swearing is normal! everyone does it! its not like your harming anyone by swearing, everyone swears int heir own head, they are just words thats it, they're just expressions that society see as taboo and that kid shouldnt say! Dont you think maybe you feel more anxious because you're not fully expressing yourself? You seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself NOT to swear, like your a parent telling off your inner child. What are you afraid of if you do swear? Are you afraid of something will happen if you swear?
I think it is better not to swear in public but privately I bet even the pope swears! :)
But i think the issue is really what you are afraid wil happen if you swear. Im sure you've head of exposure? Why dont you try it? Swear in private, in your head, whatever and see what happens. Cus nohting will happen, no repremands, no consequence except maybe a little bit of anger being released.