PDA

View Full Version : anxiety back big time after doing so well - any ideas?

jos
23-12-07, 11:13
hi all
i was doing so well this year - some physical anxiety symptoms but was able to cognitively deal with them - and not be limited by them - fully at work and busy socially and getting fitter

two weekends ago i had a wonderful weekend away with a new crowd for a bit of walking in the hills and had such a really good and mellow time - it really felt that this is how things should feel - had an anxiety hit on the journey back but mentally dealt with it - felt really knackered and came down with a cold and took a few days off work - i normally just go to work if i feel rough from anxiety but stayed off this time as it felt like a cold

Through that week the anxiety and with it depression hit big time - mind racing - obsessive thinking - really physical gut and chest symptoms - waking in the early hours - getting really worked up about coping at work and with the winter cold and dark - life in general - all my coping strategies of keeping busy and getting out and about weren't easy feeling unwell and with the cold - got back to work but had a horrible week - only just coping - my bosses know of my former problems and are as supportive as they can be - but such a struggle

Has anyone had a similar crash - now looking at going onto meds - already on st johns wort - doc has suggested an SNRI - as the next one to try - has anyone used these - they claim to be good for anxiety - will also get back into talk therapy - considering hypnotherapy - has anyone tried this

really scared that this has tripped too far to be at work - but time off scares me too with no real comfort zones at the moment

the bizarre thing is that i can have some really calm times socially and wake up early in pieces - completely off the alcohol and caffiene for most of this year

Any similar experiences would be good to hear of - i know the recover is not easy but really struggling at the moment

cheers jos

MessedUp
23-12-07, 12:47
Hi
I think that once we know we're prone to this sort of thing we have to be prepared for some setbacks like this. I'm expecting it myself. But at least you know you HAVE coped and improved and lived a managable life before this setback - surely that gives you confidence that it's possible? (please tell me it's so!!)

There must be something gnawing away at you to give you the genuine anxiety - are you actually worried about your work, or just how you'll cope with it at the moment? If you address the cause, everything else should click into place. Or maybe it was just the virus making you feel very low - or seasonal affective depression?

You've fought it before, you can do it again!
Best wishes

Believe
23-12-07, 12:54
Hi Jos,

Sorry to hear that you are having a ruff time. I too have fallen before , and yes it's hard to get back up and start again. But what else can we do?? Try to remember that you have done this before and you will do this again. You can do it I promise.

Take care

chalky
23-12-07, 13:56
Hi Jos,

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Sorry to hear things are rough at the minute.

I stopped my meds-under supervision- 18 months ago.
My Doctor did tell me to expect a few "blips" along the way and he was right.
When it happens,I try to take a wee inventory-

What's happening in my life?
Am I eating,sleeping right?
Am I rushing around too much?
Often,the cause of my problems can be found therein.
Try to accept this period for what it is-a blip.Keep things simple and hopefully it will pass.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lindalou64
23-12-07, 13:57
HELLO JOS AND WELCOME SORRY TO HEAR YA FEELING BAD, YES WE CAN HAVE SET BACKS IVE HAD MANY AND AT THE TIME YA FEEL YOUR NOT GONNA GET WELL AGAIN,BUT YA DO I HAVE HAD SEVERAL OVER THE PAST 19 YRS AND ALWAYS BOUNCE BACK SOMETIMES BEING SICK FOR ME ANYWAYS BRINGS THEM ON THIS TIME OF YR AND ECT OUT OF THE BLUE SO PLEASE KEEP POSITIVE AND NO THIS SHALL PASS DO YA BEST TRY AND STAY AT WORK AS YA SAID WE KNOW KEEPING BUSY IS THE BEST THING FOR IT....AND KNOWING THIS CANT HARM US JUST AN AWFUL FEELING AT THE TIME .I WISH YOU WELL.........LINDA

Pink Princess
23-12-07, 14:47
http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w285/kimmychilds/hh/hh0302.gif

sorry that your not good at the moment but it will get better just keep fighting xxxxxx

Southern_Belle
23-12-07, 16:18
Hi Jos,

Welcome to the site. I too would try to do whatever helped you before. I would also try not to dwell on it as that can also cause more anxiety. Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

Laura

groovygranny
23-12-07, 20:59
Hello jos :welcome: back to you!

I think maybe coming down with a cold on top of your anxiety episode has lowered your resistance, which may be why your coping strategies have taken a bit of a beating.

I can only comment of one type of medication, Citalopram - and I found it to be most helpful. I only needed to stay on it for 6mnths. Side effects can be a bit of an ordeal, but worth it in the end in my opinion.

Plenty of help and support here!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

Nibbles
23-12-07, 21:37
Hi Jos and :welcome: back,

I'm sorry you're not feeling too good but am sure that it's just a blip and would guess the cold played a part. Trying to keep busy and distracting yourself can stop you dwelling on those negative thoughts.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
23-12-07, 21:40
Hi and :welcome: back

Franz
23-12-07, 22:03
Hello jos :welcome: back to you!

I think maybe coming down with a cold on top of your anxiety episode has lowered your resistance, which may be why your coping strategies have taken a bit of a beating.

I can only comment of one type of medication, Citalopram - and I found it to be most helpful. I only needed to stay on it for 6mnths. Side effects can be a bit of an ordeal, but worth it in the end in my opinion.

Plenty of help and support here!

Pleased to meet you!

:)

I agree about the cold probably playing a part. I was making reasonable, if slow, progress with my problems until 2 months ago. Then I got a cold and stomach cramps which brought back the anxiety in a big way. The stomach cramps and the cold symptoms just wouldn't go away, so I saw a doctor. She immediately said it wasn't a cold, it was a panic attack. But it was definitely the cold that set it in motion. I haven't been free from stomach cramp since :\

jackie13
29-12-07, 20:06
hi all
i was doing so well this year - some physical anxiety symptoms but was able to cognitively deal with them - and not be limited by them - fully at work and busy socially and getting fitter

two weekends ago i had a wonderful weekend away with a new crowd for a bit of walking in the hills and had such a really good and mellow time - it really felt that this is how things should feel - had an anxiety hit on the journey back but mentally dealt with it - felt really knackered and came down with a cold and took a few days off work - i normally just go to work if i feel rough from anxiety but stayed off this time as it felt like a cold

Through that week the anxiety and with it depression hit big time - mind racing - obsessive thinking - really physical gut and chest symptoms - waking in the early hours - getting really worked up about coping at work and with the winter cold and dark - life in general - all my coping strategies of keeping busy and getting out and about weren't easy feeling unwell and with the cold - got back to work but had a horrible week - only just coping - my bosses know of my former problems and are as supportive as they can be - but such a struggle

Has anyone had a similar crash - now looking at going onto meds - already on st johns wort - doc has suggested an SNRI - as the next one to try - has anyone used these - they claim to be good for anxiety - will also get back into talk therapy - considering hypnotherapy - has anyone tried this

really scared that this has tripped too far to be at work - but time off scares me too with no real comfort zones at the moment

the bizarre thing is that i can have some really calm times socially and wake up early in pieces - completely off the alcohol and caffiene for most of this year

Any similar experiences would be good to hear of - i know the recover is not easy but really struggling at the moment

cheers jos

Hi there

I am a new member of today and have had a similar relapse within the last week. This time it hit real bad. I have tried to work out what it was, I think it was coming up to Xmas, the dark nights, probably too much alcohol. The thing that I am hanging on to is that I got better last time, so I know it will work again. I do take citalopram which is not for everybody, but it has worked for me in the past.

You are in my thoughts.

Jackie

jackie13
29-12-07, 20:09
Hi there

I am a new member of today, the reason being my anxiety and panic has hit me BIG time in the last couple of weeks. No sleep, shaking, crying and not being able to get back to work and into a routine. My only saving grace is that I managed through it last time, but I feel I need to get back to work to get some normality in my life. Think mine happened because of the Xmas Period, dark nights and mornings and my husband works strange shifts so he is not always here.

I know you will get through it, hang on in there.

Jackie