PDA

View Full Version : general anxiety

sue447
24-02-05, 15:08
hi all
just wanted to ask question, is it a normal part of anxiety to have irregular breathing, not hyperventalating during an attack,but feeling like your not breathing properly sometimes, even when you feel okish, if you know what i mean, [:P] because these symptoms cause me to be panicky, im frightened im going to stop breathing sometimes, is that part of it aswell
from a scared sue:(

FAN
24-02-05, 15:15
yes i think it is normal to feel this way as we tend to not breath properly, it was pointed out to me by one of the members on here that i was probably holding my breath in when i should have held it out so i wouldnt worry too much

fan x

jo-jo
24-02-05, 15:18
Hi Sue

Yes, irregular breathing can definately be a symptom of anxiety - most of us don't really breathe properly anyway and tend to use only the top of our lungs rather than breathing from our diaphragm. Check out the first steps link on the site homepage for more info.

Best wishes
Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

sue447
24-02-05, 15:25
thanks for your reply, but can u stop breathing from this or can u black out or anything like that, sue

Meg
24-02-05, 16:10
No you can't stop breathing, its an involuntary mechanism.

If you hyperventilate really excessively for a long period of time, a very tiny % of people faint for a few moments in order that the body can rebalance itself. 99% of people never faint , feeling anxiety dizzyness is not a sign of imminent fainting either. Its very common to feel dizzy but very rare indeed to faint.

If this is going to happen this generally happens on the first ever panic attack.

Keep your breathing under control and it won't ever happen.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

lainey
24-02-05, 17:40
Hi Sue

Yes it sure is, I tend to hold my breath without realising all the time, but it can't harm you, just Mr Anxiety rearing his ugly head once more.

Take care

Elaine x

sue447
26-02-05, 13:46
thanks for reply guys,
when i get this awfall irregular breathing, its not fast [hyperventilating] i acaully think im going to stop breathing, sometimes,and my mind repays me in kind, obviously not acually stopping,but it feels like im going to, if u see what i mean , is that part of it too.
also last night i woke up in the early hours and i felt really odd physical symptoms, that i cant explain, they did wear off after a while, but rather strange all the same i couldn't get back to sleep properly after that [not to do with my breathing though] i feel really tired today, as i been to work since 7 o' clock this morning, tiil half 12, i hate it when im tired, i dont feel like im in control,anyone else relate to any of this sue

Meg
26-02-05, 16:35
Sue ,

All of what you're refering to is entirely normal for anxiety sufferers until you can start to get through these symptoms.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

jude
26-02-05, 17:51
Hi Sue,

Do you breath with your abdomen or your chest.

Next time it happens, try placing your hand on your tummy and make sure it rises when you breathe in.

Im sure there is a piece on this in the home pages.

I can give you further info if you need it, apparently it is very important to breathe in this way and not with your chest.

Have a look on the home pages. They are full of wonderful advice.

Jude x

sue447
26-02-05, 19:23
thanks for reply meg,jude
sorry to be a pain in the butt , but i get really scared sometimes,[Sigh...] regards sue :D

FAN
26-02-05, 19:56
hi sue dont apologise lol we all come on here with questions and there is always some one to help

fan x

nomorepanic
26-02-05, 21:08
Sue

You are not a pain in the butt lol. We will all help all we can to reassure you ok?

Nicola

elaine75
01-06-08, 23:30
can some one tell me why .when im have anxiety attack i dry eveing. fell like be sick. please help