PDA

View Full Version : hyperventilation syndrome

estha
24-12-07, 00:26
Hi does anyone else suffer with this disorder? I have been diagnosed with it and as it is different to normal hyperventilation and most gps dont understand it .I was diagnosed at the hospital while having tests done for breathing problems.
I know it causes a number of problems and alot of illnesses are due to it or associated with it ,such as IBS.
Anyone else?

Piglet
24-12-07, 10:45
Gosh that's interesting - how is is different from your run of the mill hyperventilation if you don't mind me asking.

Hyperventilaton is one of the first things that starts happening with me when I'm anxious - one of the best books I've read on this is by Dinah Bradley called 'Hyperventilation Syndrome' (or similiar) have you checked this one out on Amazon and read the reviews.

Love Piglet :flowers:

Quirky
24-12-07, 12:18
Hi there,

I have been diagnosed with this too, a few years back now and I have had breathing therapy to try and correct it. I still hyperventilate at times but my breathing is better than it used to be in general.

I saw a respiratory physiotherapist to help me with it.

I wasn't told it was any different to normal hyperventilation, it was explained to me by a breathing expert that it means that the problem is chronic rather than acute ie regular breathing becomes disordered and you breathe the wrong way all the time - wheras many people hyperventilate with panic attacks but once the panic is over their breathing goes back to normal.

It definitely started with anxiety for me, but then again I am also asthmatic and it's common in asthmatics to breathe wrong too.

I am lucky that most doctors I have spoke to have understood this very well.

I have the book Piglet mentions too and it's very good.

Lisa

estha
24-12-07, 20:57
Hi ,thanks for your replies,nice to know Im not alone with this.I will certainly check out this book you mention but if you look on google it comes up with lots of advice,just put in Hyperventilation syndrome.I have had physiotherapy before a couple of years ago and I seemed to improve after several trips to the hospital but I now find I cannot control it again .I am now waiting for my letter to return to the hospital so I just hope it will help.I did breathing retraining exercises and relaxation.I also take antidepressants but they do not help with this, as it becomes a habit and its hard to change back and breathe normally again.If it becomes so bad that you cant breathe ,the best thing is to breathe into a paper bag .
I also have IBS AND suffer with chest pains and palpitations but not due to heart problems but due to too much breathing.Muscles of the chest wall can also be affected by causing alot of pain around the ribs and sturnum.If you take in too much oxygen it can create alot of adrenalin in the body so causing palpitations.
I hope this will help some people who immediately think they have heart problems ,although it is best to get it checked out incase ,but it could be too much stress and overbreathing that is causing these problems.
As an example ,imagine a car is about to run you down ,you gasp in air and your heart goes mad,this is something that happens without the car being there at all and sometimes without you realising you are doing it.thanks,best wishes ,Estha,x.

Quirky
24-12-07, 21:55
Great post Estha. Just what I have read/been told too.

Only thing I would add though is that people should not blow into a paper bag if they are asthmatic - that's what I have been told anyway, or at least check with a doctor first if you're asthmatic before you do it.

Good luck with getting on top of it again :hugs:

Lisa x

Piglet
24-12-07, 22:59
Yes just like Lisa says, in her book Dinah Bradley is strictly against the paper bag theory. It's an excellent book and helped me understand it no end a few years ago.:yesyes:

We also have some help and advice pages here on the site about hyperventilation too. I don't just do this during a panic attack though - it's one of the ways I realise my anxiety is rising when I start breathing badly from the chest, which as you say then causing plenty of symptoms of its own.

I ususally then go back to practing low slow breathing. Unfortunately hyperventilation is an occupational hazard with anxious folk so needs to be practised regularly, whether anxious or not to check you are still breathing well and as we should!

june
25-12-07, 14:32
Dinah Bradley's book is brilliant - I bought mine from Waterstones.
What you have all said is very valid but I would like to add that the harder I try to regulate my breathing the more I am fearful!!!!!
I have mentioned this to Doctors / psychiatrists / CBT/ councillors.
RETRAINING your breathing pattern is VERY hard to do on our own!!!!!!
BUT there are no clinics or any organisation that I can find to help me to do this.
Yoga and Tai Chi are good but it takes 2 buses for me to get there - totally stressed by the journey - so what is the point????
Piglet's last paraghraph is right to the point - But I am sure most of you are like me "full of good intentions"
Sorry HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
Love and Best wishes
june

belle
25-12-07, 18:32
If Dinah is against the paper bag theory, how are you meant to get it back to normal?
When i was
hyperventilating the other day, i was desperately hunting out a bag, it was the first time i had used one, but it worked.

This is my latest crappy symptom....

x

june
26-12-07, 12:28
paper bag is ony wrong for Asthma sufferers

love june

Wenjoy
28-12-07, 13:47
I am asthmatic and have hyperventilated for 20 years - I cup my hands over my nose and mouth and that works. Also read a book about slowing downt he breathing and then pausing - apparently its not just the in and out breathing that matters its the pause which helps if you overbreathe!! Wenjoy x

june
28-12-07, 14:24
Sorry I stand corrected Wenjoy

- I was repeating what had been said in Dinah Bradley's book.
I have also tried the cupped hands and yes it will work.
best wishes
june

Piglet
28-12-07, 15:05
I also find that I need to try not to take it too seriously when I am practising and remember that normal breathing will right itself if I get panicky with it in due course anyway. It's more about retraining yourself to breathe from the tum not the chest just as a general practice, not just for panicky situations.

I agree about the pause between the breath in and out too - that made me smile.

Low and slow seem to be the catchwords that help me the most and if poss putting my hand on my abdomen just above my tummy button so I can feel the movement in and out.

Wenjoy
28-12-07, 16:56
Sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt with my comments - probably coz I have a headache and am soooo tired!! Love wenjoy xxx

june
04-01-08, 14:13
No probs Wenjoy ( my phone has been out for 4 days)
I was just in a rush and wrote down my short version.
I find I am soooo out of breath just going upstairs and next day seems I have NO problem - gets very confusing.
Best wishes
june
PS I hope you are feeling better.

Wenjoy
04-01-08, 15:07
Ta - yes I had a bad day the other day when I kept panicking coz I couldnt get a deep breath but later int he day I realised it had righted itself without my help!!! Our bodies are amazing really in that they can work without us consciously thinking about it !!! Just that we all worry so much!!! Happy new year. Love Wenjoy xx