PDA

View Full Version : i hate this depression

sammie
26-12-07, 09:12
hi all

this depression is awful , i constantly feel low and not myself if that makes sense i am worried i will always feel like this and it scares me is there anyone out there who has had depression and come out the other side because at the moment i dont feel as if i will ever get over this . i am keeping going and not avioding things even though i dont feel like doing anything surely i am doing all the right things but i fail to see ny improvement

sammie

joannap
26-12-07, 11:14
hi sammie

i felt like this last week and had done for several weeks even though i am citalopram. the thing that has made it pass is total acceptance. the more you worry - the more you fight it - the more you tire your emotions and feelings out (like thrashing a car battery). i decided to just give into it and at the same time - every time i had a "what if" thought - i immediately counteracted it with a more realistic/positive one. I could feel the depression start to life within a matter of days. it was only last week that i was tortured with intrusive thoughts - i used the same approach and guess what - i am so much improved within literally a week!!!

you can do it too and how you feel will pass - just don;t "feed" the depression with more depression! xx

Adrian
26-12-07, 12:42
Hi Sammie
Depression is a most frightening thing, particularly as it effects all aspects of life and feels never-ending. It will get better with the correct help and support; as I'm sure others on this site will agree. I know this is much easier said than done, but try to focus on positive things: there are good people in this world who understand and will help you help yourself. Life will improve with time and help; I know-I've been way way down.
Best wishes
Adrian

Tom_M
26-12-07, 16:26
I've studied depression a lot, and I must say it as helped me understand it and avoid it
Without going into a lot of detail, life expects certain things from us and rewards us with pleasure and happiness for achieving them. So obviously, if we fail to achieve these natural needs, we then don't get the rewards, which makes us then feel depressed. Now whether depression is just a mind devoid of any happiness, or there's something else going on, I just don't know. But It stands to reason that we do need to achieve certain things in our lives for us to not be depressed.

Three of the biggest drives in humans - and all other animal, is: SECURITY. STATUS, and REPRODUCTION. These are the most powerful primary drives we have. So nature provides a "Carrot and stick" approach to get us to attain these goals. So for a guy, if you have a secure job with no financial problems, feel a respected part of the community, and have a loving wife, then you should be very happy. However, take away one of those assets, then you could find yourself depressed. Women are a bit more complicated unfortunately, so not being a women, I'm not going there. But I think you get the idea.

BTW, this is not my thinking of what depression is all about. Look at any books on psychology and they will say the same thing.

chalky
26-12-07, 16:26
Hi Sammi,

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.
At the same time,it is inspirational to hear that you are not bowing down to it .
Have you seen your Doctor lately? - just in case further support may be available through him/her.
Best wishes,
Chalky