PDA

View Full Version : Why do we react differently once we've had panics?

Gryphoenix
28-12-07, 18:20
I think back to the days where I was scared and didn't have panic attacks, where my heart was racing and I was okay, or where I was excited and loved it.

Why do I feel like now panic has somehow caused me to forever react differently to stressors and I will always have to practice coping strategies and work at relaxing?

I feel like something in me has been stretched like a sock, that I'm able to fear further, my heart is able to race further, that I'm able to scare myself in a state further than ever before, and I'll never be able to be back to where I was before because I've been here, at panic stage, and I can't ever forget that. It'll always be reminding me.

I guess I'm just missing the old days when I didn't have to worry and prepare for every event that comes my way. I dare say that I'm doing well at it, it's just tedious and annoying, that I can't take anticipation as well as I'd like, that I can't just DO things.

/end random angsty emo rant.

happyone
28-12-07, 18:25
You know what I reckon hun? I reckon it is BECAUSE you are dealing with it and good on you!
What many of us with problematic anx do is AVOID in order to keep away those horrid feelings but you say you are practising ways of dealing with it. That is a good thing, you are not avoiding.
Yes, your body will protest because anx still wants to win but I think if you keep on going on the way you are, then YOU will win and the anx will may still be there but not as big.
Does any of that make sense?
Happyone
xxx

Bill
29-12-07, 02:18
A teacher once said to me that as we grow older, some people find life harder to cope with than others.

We are all individuals born into different environments and we each are faced with events that shape our lives.

There is never a turning back but to learn from our experiences and move forward through the trials that are presented to us.

In our cases I think we are born with certain characteristics that make us more vulnerable to events as we grow older. We are generally, although not entirely, sensitive and intense people. We tend to analyse and are deep thinkers. When we experience a bad event it tends to impress upon us and it takes time to come to terms and accept it.

When we're young we are shielded by our parents but once we "leave the nest" we have to make decisions for ourselves which often we find hard to do because of our lack of confidence.

Imagine an acorn growing into a sapling and then a tree. The trunk and branches formations are determined by the weather and conditions it has to contend with during its lifetime.

There are many different causes that shape the person we become but all we can do is learn how to confront our fears so we can move on with our lives. We cannot go back, we can only move forward.:hugs:

Gryphoenix
29-12-07, 02:56
Aw, thanks happyone, that makes me feel a whole lot better, the fact that I am bothered is a good thing because I'm fighting the thing that's bothering me. :D :hugs:

Really wise words, Bill! :hugs: I've always been a really sensitive type, intense too I guess. I over analyse everything!

I take events to heart and especially bad events, even something as simple as someone telling me off or an arguement will stay with me for days. I'm not that much of an assertive person though I'm a whole lot more than what I used to be. My confidence has grown a whole lot more this year but I still have my off days. They're not kidding when they say that this kind of thing builds character! :D

So I get what you're trying to say--look ahead, we all have our troubles and this just happens to be mine. :D And the best thing to do is head towards it and face it as best I can.

Bill
29-12-07, 03:34
"face it as best I can".

Phoenix, be more positive in your approach. You've been doing Really well. You know what the causes are and how to deal with them. In time, things will become easier If you keep learning and persevering. Whatever events you face, learn from them. Don't let them hold you back by dwelling on them. Just keep moving forward and remind yourself of all the things you've achieved.

You have a great base to build on and you have an inner determination to keep going. I've always had full confidence in your abilities because you have a great insight into why you are the person you are.

As you grow older, your confidence in your own abilities will also build and things Will become easier for you. I have a strong feeling about this as I feel I know your character.

Just never let anything drag you down......yet somehow I get the feeling you'll always bouuce straight back up anyway!:winks:

Life presents all of us with our own trials to deal with. It's how we tackle them that determines what we become.

From what I know of you and as I've said before, phoenix is an apt name for you because you have an inner strength that we all need that always raises you from the ashes that each time helps you to learn how to fly again! :hugs:

Gryphoenix
29-12-07, 22:11
:hugs: Once again, I thank you Bill for such insight and thanks for the kind words. I'm not used to being so positive and confident, as you might be able to tell! Your answers have always been able to help me greatly and this time it's no different. I'm going to come back to these posts the next time I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed or just bothered with the tasks that anxiety presents! :hugs:

MessedUp
30-12-07, 11:26
I've felt that whole "stretched sock" line of thought too, but then you realise that you've been there and come out the other side, it didn't kill you, the panic did go and you coped, and so it loses its power to scare you so much when you know that if you take steps to calm yourself down, it all subsides.
Then the stretched sock shrinks and reforms, and you find it hard to believe it was ever so big and baggy.
cheers

Meltdown
30-12-07, 14:57
Why do we react differently once we've had panics?

I have often wondered about this too. I have always "lived off my adreneline" to some extent. I have always been quite shy, but "buzzy" and intense, with a love of (very!) fast motorbikes, and electric guitars, etc, and I always used to enjoy the feeling of exitement that these things brought.

But now, exitement and anticipation can rapidly turn to panic, with all it's attendant bad feelings (palpitations, hyperventilation, etc)

I reckon it's all to do with the thoughts we attach to raised adreneline, and how this makes us feel. In the old days, I would reach a certain level of exitement, and basically, just stay there. Now, when my heart races (for any reason, real or perceived), I am concious of it, my body releases MORE adreline, and so the whole vicous cycle starts!

I guess what we have to do is cope with situations as best we can, and each time panic is coped with, the response should be less the next time, and so on, until normality is eventually acheived. That's the theory, anyway! (I'm still working on it!)