PDA

View Full Version : Welcome messages

Meewah
29-12-07, 18:15
I dont know if anyone else has noticed but a lot of the senior members welcome messages seem scripted. That is they lack any personalised content. I am sure that many of us anx sufferers would rather have a sincere welcome message than one just sent from a template.

Sorry about the moan but I feel the introductions to a new member are important to make the new member feel supported. I would rather recieve no welcome message than a scripted one.

Mee

nomorepanic
29-12-07, 18:21
I try to welcome every new member to the site and my message tends to be along the lines of "welcome aboard and hope we can be of some help. You will meet some great people on here."

Personally, I don't have time to personalise every message unless I feel there is something I can specifically say - e.g. direct them to website pages or previous posts.

I can only access the forum at night and I come home to about 80 new messages a day so I do my best to read and reply to as many as I can but I always take time to welcome someone aboard.

As a new member I would love to receive a welcome however short and sweet it is to be honest.

Jaco45er
29-12-07, 18:24
I am not an Admin, but I think they all welcome newcomers with open arms, I fail to see how they can personalise the welcome to a new poster.

No one gets paid to welcome anyone so I feel this is a little harsh.

Regards,

Jaco

Meewah
29-12-07, 18:31
Sorry, Yes I do agree it seems a little harsh. It must be impossible to personlise each welcome message. Good work admins. May just change the script a bit more often to give the impression that it is a personal message. I was only offering constructive critism. :blush: I only picked up on it when reading everyone threads. It was a bit like discovering that santa wasn't real. I felt a little less cared for.

Excellent site.

Don't give up the good work just the monotonous welcome messages.

Jaco - Money should not come in to it. It ruins people. If there was money involved it would sound even less sincere. Just go to the local supermarket and watch a checkout assistant force a smile and welcome. I some times wish they would just say - sorry having a bad day will you just leave me alone.- The admins do it because they have compassion and empathy and are caring people. Nurses dont do there job for the money. You can't put a price on that. My gripes with the senior members not the admins.

Sorry

Mee

manmoor
29-12-07, 18:46
Mee..... and the point of this post is?????? Does it matter how anyone is welcomed to the site whether it be long posts or short as long as they are made welcome thats the main thing. I agree 100% with Jaco on this one.

Meewah
29-12-07, 18:57
Mee..... and the point of this post is?????? Does it matter how anyone is welcomed to the site whether it be long posts or short as long as they are made welcome thats the main thing. I agree 100% with Jaco on this one.

Sorry Mandy

I feel passionate about this one. Seems you do too!! It is all about compassion.

I'll leave it there as I seem to have struck a nerve.

Love and Peace

Mee

dimblonde
29-12-07, 19:02
As a fairly new member I can honestly say I would never have known the welcomes were scripts as such and it made no difference to me at all :)

I dont think a welcome is anywhere near as important as the genuine replies you get when you post a thread about your anxiety...At the end of the day it's those replies that count :)

manmoor
29-12-07, 19:05
Well said Jo hun :hugs: xxx

Meewah
29-12-07, 19:18
Ok

Your right I am wrong. Don't gang up on mee.

:weep:

Moderator - One that arbitrates or mediates.
Not one that forces a personal view upon others.

manmoor
29-12-07, 19:20
Erm :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: I forced nothing on nobody I just stated my own opinion now thats all I will say on the matter.

dimblonde
29-12-07, 19:25
Its not case of who's right and who's wrong just a difference of opinion that's all :)

I don't see why moderators can't have their opinions and agree with others that have similar ones Mee and I think thats all that Mandy was doing...

x

honeybee3939
29-12-07, 19:37
Ermmm

Well theres nothing wrong in giving new members a warm welcome is there???? or on the other hand should we stop congraulating people for what they have achieved, NO I DONT THINK SO !:ohmy:

Andrea
xx

Dying_Swan
29-12-07, 22:55
Hello.

Meewah - I see your point and I have noticed that people's welcome messages are pretty much the same. I understand what you mean...

BUT

When I first joined this site, I wasn't sure anyone would reply. I was chuffed to get welcome messages, 'scripted' or not. At the end of the day, people just don't have time to sit and write out each message to newcomers. They are probably spending more time writing individual answers to people's posts in the anxiety sections, which in my view, is more important.

The people who write 'scripted' welcome messages don't need to bother doing so, but they take the time to....even if it is a template. And, from what I recall, most of them do 'tweak' it a bit to the person.

I rarely write welcomes, because I would feel the need to answer every single one if I did....and I just don't have the time. I have often thought how much better it would be to have a template to use.....:blush:

I don't want you to feel as though you're being 'ganged up on', but it might be worth remembering that 'senior members' generally don't sit here all day every day, and might have limited time. They just might, also, have their own problems they need to spend time working on whilst using the site.

In my view, the fact people bother at all is a bonus!

And, for the record....nurses certainly do go to work for the money :winks:

manmoor
30-12-07, 01:05
Well said Mary Doll :hugs: xxx

Meewah
30-12-07, 01:42
Ok

Thanks for the debate. Very useful therapy. Thats the beauty of Forums....we can all have a view. Seriously though thanks for the debate I feel much better...just needed someone to sound off at..

I love you all

Mee:yesyes:

RedMozzy
11-01-08, 04:20
It's funny but after reading this thread, I decided to look through mine and it does look like I'm using a script even though I type each one individually.... I must just be predictable ;-)

Richie
11-01-08, 13:33
yeah my replies always sound rather monotomous, my spelling is usuallly terrible!!!!! Must be difficult for the admin to get through so many messages!!
But better to get any reply than not at all
Love Richiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MessedUp
11-01-08, 13:52
I try to answer specific points if I'm going to reply, but any welcome is better than none!