PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol?

imported_n/a
09-11-03, 19:53
not sure if this is being put up, but was wondering if anybody else uses it to relieve symptoms/

uryjm
09-11-03, 20:08
Oh yes, it will relieve symptoms in my experience. Unfortunately, I have almost exclusively defeated panic attacks - except when I'm really hungover. That lightheadedness, disassociation, headache (or is it the brain haemorrage?), derealisation, nausea.....all easily cured with a hair of the dog. But surely that way lies real problems?
On the other hand, a nice big glass of wine or a cool pint of beer to take the edge off nasty anxiety? Surely a better alternative to all those complex and creepy sounding drugs I read about on this board. Prozac nation? No thanks. Pinot Noir nation? Yes please!

Jim

nomorepanic
09-11-03, 20:09
There is a post on using alcohol. Under Panic there is a topic "the truth about alcohol".

I drink to make me sleep and when I was really bad with panic I used alcohol to forget!!

Nicola

JR
10-11-03, 02:16
I find that having a drink or two at night makes my sleep more pleasent. I feel a little more relaxed and my thoughts are alot more positive. Alcohol definetly let's my mind have a breather and makes me forget about worrying all the time. I think having a drink is great, as long as it is in moderation. I have also seen posts from a younger member saying how it made his heart race, so I guess it depends on the person. How often do you relieve your symptoms with alcohol?

Mich
11-11-03, 17:36
I usually love a drink (at least once a week!) - up until the last couple of months anyway, thats because I have found that my panic attacks are worse the day after alcohol. I also find that when I know I am going out for a drink I get a nervous stomach and feel very sicky on the run up to me going (after a couple of drinks this feeling goes, until the next day anyway!).

I have just been away for a weekend and never touched a drop of alcohol cos Im scared of what might come with it!!! I dont want to go TEA TOTAL, sometimes a night out(with alcohol)is all ive got to look forward to.

My hangovers have been far worse since I started with panic/anxiety attacks too, is this normal?

Michelle xx

Meg
11-11-03, 17:49
Mich,

This is entirely normal. I decided eventually to give up alcohol for 3 months until I got really better as I found I was much worse with it than without.

It was a bit more time in the end but now I'm back to where I was and all is well.
I got very good at trying all the new fruit juices and sodas that were out and making conconctions.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Mich
11-11-03, 19:28
Thank you Radar

Would you say give it a break then, like yourself perhaps three months?

I would try anything to help, but then I am scared if I leave alcohol for too long, I will be worse if I start it again. And like I said before - I look forward to a drink!!

Sorry , just dont know what to do!
Michelle

Meg
11-11-03, 23:28
I got to the point where it was causing me extra worry from potential panics so just gave it up along with my beloved diet Coke which I adore. As a nurse on nights in ITU I grew to have at least 3 a night and when I moved on I took that habit with me.

Now I can have both them and alcohol - although I choose not to have so many these days.

I think I eventually came to the conclusion that if I really wanted to get better that I should go all out for it and really take care of myself and what I ate and drank. No point in doing all the supplements, exercise, relaxation etc if I was going to ruin any benefit elsewhere.

I guess it depends on how much it bothers you what you decide to do about it.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Mich
12-11-03, 16:13
Thank you Radar.

I appreciate your advice, I dont feel I need alcohol, I can go to a pub and not drink alcohol. So ive decided that whilst im doing all the other things to help me (like yourself) I will just leave it out, or at least reduce it right down until I feel better in myself.

Thanks again Michelle

nomorepanic
12-11-03, 16:37
I used to test my illness with alcohol.

If I felt really bad and I was convinced it was a real illness, I used to have a few drinks. If the "pain" was still there after a few drinks then I must be really ill but if it went then it must be panic.

Needlesss to say the "pains" always went (as it was Panic/anxiety) but I carried on testing the theory with alcohol none the less.

I still drink but nothing like I used to - must be my age!!

Nicola

uryjm
12-11-03, 22:44
I'd like to say that having a drink is one of life's pleasures and there's NO WAY I'd allow my anxiety to make me give it up. If I allowed that, what else would I allow it to do? Stop me going out? Driving? Working? Living a life? I suffer terribly with panic when I'm hungover, but it passes. It always passes. Not giving into it makes it a price worth paying.

Jim

Waffle
18-11-03, 22:02
I find that after drinking too much I get hangovers more easily, and my sleep is much worse. I tend to wake up at like 4am and can't get back to sleep after drinking a bit. That never used to happen before so I can only put it down to anxiety. Actually I can only drink if I feel relaxed. It can make me a bit more anxious just the thought of having a drink if I am already anxious....

Crispy Cornflake
19-11-03, 01:49
Phew...I thought it was just me, but aafter reading the posts from you guys, I realise my hangover induced panic attacks are a fairly common symptom. They happen at other times too, but are far worse when hungover. So bad in fact, that I have decided to quit the drink (at least for a little while - lol).

southerngirl
23-11-03, 17:12
After a long period of stress and anxiety (caused by neighbour problems), I found I was drinking more, though never excessively. I couldn't sleep without a glass or two of red wine. I do enjoy a drink at the end of a hectic day but I was concerned that it was becoming a habit. I did give it up totally and found that I could cope without it but I couldn't get to sleep easily. I suppose I wanted to prove to myself that I was not addicted to alcohol. But I realised I was giving up something that I truly enjoy and look forward to and I didn't feel a glass or two of red wine a night was going to be harmful healthwise - I otherwise leave a healthy lifestyle, eat well, gym etc.
My advice to you would be that if it does relieve symptoms and it is something you enjoy, carry on. I think you only need to be concerned if you can see your intake increasing.

Amanda3266
23-11-03, 18:21
You mean I'm normal :) Thanks guys - glad to know I'm not the only one to relieve my symptoms in this way[^]

Bailey's anyone?

Amanda

benoo5
23-11-03, 18:32
hi all,

i agree with everyone here,if you enjoy a drink,and its not to excess,then fine...i love my couple of glasses of whisky in the evening,it relaxes me,after a hard day at work,anyway i enjoy it!

best wishes..bryan..HIC! ;)

southerngirl
23-11-03, 21:38
Amanda, Baileys? A girl after my own heart. Just discovered an Asda rip off of Baileys, just wonderful...
Just to add, when it comes to drinking I would divide it into the drinking that relaxes me i.e. red wine and the drinking that makes me squiffy i.e. white wine. I have on occasion been thoroughly depressed and just drunk to get drunk but 99% of the time I am drinking to fast forward almost the relaxation process and simply because I enjoy the taste. I was for a period of time anxious that I had become reliant on it and that it was in danger of becoming excessive. The truth is that one or two glasses of wine a night, although maybe a bit more at the weekend, is something I enjoy and look forward to and, as Bryan and other posters have said, it relaxes you, why not? In the winter I have a glass of wine while relaxing in a candle-lit bath (with music in the background) and in summer I enjoy a glass of wine while sitting in the garden early evening. It is my treat for the day.