PDA

View Full Version : Getting to my Aunt's Funeral

clickaway
25-02-05, 21:21
Just thought I’d let people know how I coped with my aunt’s funeral today.

The prospect of attending this has been plaguing my mind all week, and within hours of learning of her passing, I woke up in the early hours in sheer panic due to a tightening of my wrist. I have been highly stressed all week.

I decided to go to the Doctor’s for help on Wednesday and she gave me some Diazepam tranquillisers – these are designed for one-off stresses rather than a course. I have been feeling so stressed over this I have been taking two per day, one later afternoon and one at night so I can have a restful sleep.

On Wednesday evening, the second pill, combined with some intensive hobby activity, calmed me down, and the stress virtually went.

Thursday evening was not so successful, and I think that this was in part due to me panicking in the supermarket after a visit to my psychotherapist. Maybe it was a mistake driving there myself, or maybe my therapist ruffled up a few emotional feathers as we talked about my late aunt and my parents. Mostly likely it was a combination of both, given my current delicate state.

On Thursday, I also saw my Occupational Therapist – she gave me some tips on dealing with today, and gave me a timetable, which was as follows:
Buy some flowers this afternoon so that I may photograph them tomorrow as part of my photographic hobby. If I’m well enough, I’m to buy them from a specified shop (e.g. my local florists), or if someone else has to get them, then from anywhere.

Today (Friday) I had a strict timetable between 12 and 3.15, the time I was picked up to go to the crematorium. That included eating, washing, photographic session, clearing up, washing up and getting ready in my suit – all with times against them. If I was too stressed to upload my photos to the PC, I was to phone the Samaritans for comfort in that time slot.

I tried to adhere to this timetable, but couldn’t manage it. I did so some photography but could not sustain it for as long as planned. I was having difficulty controlling my breathing and found it difficult to do the breathing exercises as I was in such a state. Anyway, I phoned the Samaritans for comfort and distraction, and later did some washing up etc. before getting changed to go out.

By this time, I had calmed down sufficiently to make the event.

I was fine being driven in the car (a ten mile journey), in the service, and for about 45 minutes at the ‘wake’ where we had refreshments. Amongst the relatives there were my cousin whom I had not met for about 40 years, and two second cousins whom I’d never met before. I was also given custody of some family heirlooms.

During the wake, somebody mentioned about the stress that my aunt had suffered, and of course this set my anxiety off. I tried to conceal it as much as possible for the remaining 30 minutes and on the journey back home. But of course I exploded rather upon my return here and struggled to regain my composure ~ relaxing my breathing then became an issue, even though I knew the technique.

I called No Panic to try and break this cycle, and now, three hours after my return home, I’m feeling more relaxed, but still warm.

So I made it there, I’m glad about that. Not only was I able to say goodbye to Ethel, but also meet new people and learn stories about my family, which neatly fits into my interest in Family History.

But I also now do not have to cope with the guilt and failure of not attending ~ I feel that is a big plus for me.

Thanks for listening, if you have indeed got this far!

Ray

henri
25-02-05, 21:40
hi ray,
i just wanted to say well done for going, i think you did amazingly well, especially in view of the fact that you had all that stress building up over the course of the week. funerals are difficult at the best of times so it must have been a real test for you.
anyway, i don't want to ramble on.
speak to you soon,
henri x
ps out of interest, what dosage of diazepam were you given? i was given diazepam for the same reason, ie for just when i was feeling super stressed out. i ended up taking it twice a day so i stopped but i still take it when the panics get bad and find ti really helps.

clickaway
25-02-05, 22:02
henri,

Thanks,

I was given 2mg tabs.

Today I took 1mg before going out, 2 mg upon coming home and another 1mg just now (10pm)

Thats because I knew I was likely to need them more after the funeral.

I have been needing water all day whilst I've been stressed - I guess my heart is racing.

Ray

Meg
25-02-05, 23:36
Ray ,

Its fabulous that you have been so level headed about it all.

Congratulations for going and dealing with it all and doing all the right things to help yourself along the way .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

seh1980
26-02-05, 10:14
A big well done to you Ray :D

FAN
26-02-05, 11:52
well done on achieving it ray, and great that you could come on here and tell us all about it im sure it wasnt easy for you to relive such a stressful situuation but you did, hope to see you in chat take care

fan x

nomorepanic
26-02-05, 13:53
Ray

I am so pleased that you went and managed to stay through it all and cope well.

As you say you had to do it or you would have never forgiven yourself and now it is over you can congratulate yourself on going.

I hope you get a stress free weekend now and some chilling time.

Catch up in chat room soon.

Nicola

mumof4
26-02-05, 15:18
i know what that feels like last march when my mum died of cancer the funeral really scared me but i had to go and the worst was it was my worst year of attacks i was so ill but i made it and i didnt even panic at all.

lainey
27-02-05, 00:19
Hi Ray

A big well done for coping so well, you must be really pleased with yourself.

Take care

Elaine x

Tracy68
27-02-05, 11:08
Hi Ray
Well done on making it through the day :). You know that i know how you felt, but at the end of it all we both got through it and should feel proud of ourselves.
Take care
Tracy
xx

jo-jo
27-02-05, 12:31
Great achievement Ray!

Well done you :D[^]

Best wishes
Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"