PDA

View Full Version : Book especially for social phobia

Richie
30-12-07, 18:49
I noticed on the internet some time ago about a book by Steve Conway called "the Hell Of Social Phobia" the book title might put you off but it is a down to earth candid account of a guy who went through the worst of this debilitating illness and eventually came through it.
It's quite hard hitting but there is much to relate to from a fellow sufferer,who has also really "been there"
Costs £12.95 free delivery and website is http://www.zolsm.co.uk/phobia.htm
i tried it a little while ago and you have to give it a few clicks then more to get there.
Steve Conway can also be e-mailed
Richiex

Richie
30-12-07, 18:57
Hi i checked the web address from here but can't seem to get to it say's its unavailable. Have checked the address and it seems correct so ...! perhaps if you google the name "Steve Conway "perhaps. Its definately worth the read for social anxiety
Richie xxx
please let me know if u get anywhere!??

Social Phobe
31-12-07, 02:29
Thanks for the recommendation.

The book can be bought from Amazon.co.uk HERE (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0952162075?ie=UTF8&tag=sugababesuk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=0952162075)

The author is listed as someone else, but it says "I worked with Steve Conway for over a year going back in detail over his lonely tragic but very brave life. He left nothing out in the hope it will help other phobics. As he said 'At last a Phobic tells what it's like'. I feel proud to know him and above all tell his story."

Richie
31-12-07, 11:56
thanx for letting me and anyone else interested know, as i would very much like to acquire the book, have read excerpts from it and i know its quite a harrowing account but also very much reality
Richie x

alexis
31-12-07, 12:37
Hi, I noticed amazon also have used copies, you can get it for under £10 including postage.

Richie
31-12-07, 19:34
Thanx
Have ordererd the book (used) from Amazon today
look forward to recieving it next year
Love Richie xxx

alexis
01-01-08, 01:33
Hi , me too,xx

pete69
02-01-08, 23:15
i have read this book,dont expect any miracle cures as you wont find em there.kinda a bit far fetched to in places,like it was fiction,honestly im still in 2 minds as whether it is real.
i have suffered with sa for 25years so i know the hell of social phobia all to well,so i could of written an account myself....let me know what you think of the "cure" at the end,be interested to hear your thoughts,and yeah i bought it on amazon to......also bought a book about jamie blyth on amazon for 10pence! he had panic attacks and social anxiety and its a better read. do a search on amazon and look in the used section,its brand new and i just paid a few quid for postage.

Richie
06-01-08, 18:55
Hi there Pete and others who have read this book, i don't know what to think about it whether it's ficticious or what? Like what happened to the American girl for example?
I do know though that it does show how awful SP is, i could relate to alot of what he went through and admit it made me hit rock bottom over the last few days because it's so true SP robs you of everything and just reading about his friends suicides and about the high rate of suicide i couldn't stop crying and laid in bed most of time. Ive only just today get over the worst of the depression:weep:
I think it's a very good book to give to anyone like family or friends who really have trouble taking sp seriously, the medical profession should have a good read too !!!!
I knew there would be no miracle cure at the end what cures him is having to change his inbuilt thought patterns like cognitive therapy
Wondered what others thought?

alexis
06-01-08, 18:59
I received this book yesterday, havent looked at it yet, but on first impressions, it doesnt look very thick!!! Think If i was to write one on social phobia, it would be thicker already and I havent suffered long, only a few years, o well will read it later.

pete69
07-01-08, 22:35
richie,
yeah there are some very moving parts in it,and it does sum up how we feel all/most of the time.
i wont do a trailer spoiler for alexis as let her read it first but my first thoughts like alexis was a very small book and very large writing,so it could of been made half the size in standard paperback book.

i have read quite a few books on sa..i go through stages when i think i need to get some advice and search out a new book.....but i guess the ONLY book we need to read and im sure you all have is how to overcome social anxiety by gillian butler...it is the bible for sufferers and plenty of cbt worksheets at the back...i tend to dip into it but never really get my arse in gear and do the practice.
lack of motivation along with what if is the biggest downfall we have.

anyways good luck and richie,sorry to hear you wwre so affected by the book,gives you a ray of light at the end thou ..even if it is fiction?

pete

Richie
09-01-08, 11:22
Hi Pete, thanks for recommending Gillian Butlars book, no i hadn't heard of it ,
Only got a book by Dr Issac Marks. Can i get this at Amazon too? well i'll google it.
Realise ive got to now do the CBT on my own now so maybe that book will help me get motivated:blush:
Yeah have to say "the hell of social phobia" was a bit on the thin side, it only took a couple of hours to read!!!! and if the letters hadn't been so big it would have only been half it's size!
It shook me a bit and i got depressed probably cause the thought of 40 years like this is way toooooooooooooo much to bear.
Got to be brave i guess remember my CBT from before and start right at the beginning. It's a daunting thought but we all have to start somewhere, even if it's back at square one!!!!!!
thanks for your comments Richie xxx

pete69
20-01-08, 12:45
richie,
why have you got to do the cbt on your own?is the waiting list to long round your area.im currently looking to be seen in june.have had a 13 session before but was a few years back now and ive relapsed with my sa so need to give it a kick up the arse n get motivated.

i have all the info from previous visits so i know what to do like yourself,but its getting on with the list and actually doing it isnt it,and who wants to face anxiety n fear everyday when you can say nah i will try thast tommorrow etc.

obviously face the fear and it will slowly subside is easier said that done,but i guess we gotta do it...i had to make a list of ten things i wanted to acheive during therapy-was this the same for you?my no1 was shopping at tesco on a saturday morning alone....seems a million miles away at the moment :/

anyways richie good luck with it and lets give each other encouragement as we go along!

pete

Richie
20-01-08, 20:02
Hi Pete yeah no CBT here in Worthing, have to go private,
thanks for the kind message and yeah lets keep in touch via this forum on PM
to keep ourselves motivated.
Hope you are getting on ok would be interested, yep i have to set goals aswell for myself but they are pretty trivial ones!!!! like you said going to supermarket on a saturday especially seem a light years away at moment lol lol
Have had to put DIY on hold for a week cause have family here and tis awkward!! they wouldn't understand what CBT stood for lol :)
i will keep in touch, we have to srand up and fight this thing right
It's good that u have therapy in June but it wiill be good to give yourself a head start :)
years ago i was cured in 6 sessions so if u see the right person and click the worlds your oyster'
Take care, all the best and do keep in touch
Luv Richie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richie
20-01-08, 20:07
Sorry pete for the above posting spelling is terrible ,didn;t check on it before i hit the submit button!!!!!!!!!:blush:
Any way good to hear from you Richie like i said either keep in touch via forum or a pm, whatever :)
:yesyes:

Richie
26-01-08, 20:53
Hi Alexis x
Just wondered if you have read the book yet? and what you thought,
Read it just the once but didnt go back to it, but it has been helpful as my mam is reading it to give her a bit more of an understanding. She thought it pretty good
Richie xxx

cece
04-02-08, 01:30
I have not read that book but if it is CBT based it has to be good:D

pete69
04-02-08, 21:36
um no it isnt......just one mans story of living with sa-no cbt structured programme..for that you need gillian butlers book.

fifi
05-02-08, 23:11
Funny, I read Gillian Butlers book and to me it just didn't fit and I couldn't get a grasp on it. I found the book on low self esteem with CBT more manageable.

cece
06-02-08, 19:17
Thx Pete and my bad. In my experience if you want to get better CBT is the way to go. We used the book by Sam Obitz in my group but it was more for anxiety,panic and depression than SA though it helped me with that as well.
Any CBT based book is bound to be useful.