PDA

View Full Version : new member

jamesy
26-02-05, 15:55
hi everyone im james a 42 year old from scotland so glad i found this site had anxiety problems since i was 18 didnt realise there were so many people with similar symptoms to myself i do feel very lonley at times trying to act as if im ok been married to a great wife for 14 years and dont really tell her how i feel i try to get by without taking medication but on wed night had to take diazapam to conquer the dreaded thoughts an uncontrolable shaking that came over me,looking forward to getting some help and support from you all.

james

Lexie
26-02-05, 16:03
Hi jamsey,

I too have tried to get through my anxiety without taking medication, to be honest I am scared of the side effects. I took soraxate once and the side effects were worse than the anxiety!!

I am married too, my husband is a great support but it is hard to understand if you have never experienced it.

I find talking to other people help, just to make things seem more rational while I am having an attack. Also sometimes I don't know how I would get through it wothout my councillor Jo she has helped me so much.

I know you will get lots of support from the people from this site after reading some of the other messages.

Take care Lexie

nomorepanic
26-02-05, 16:15
Hiya James and Welcome to our forum.

As for the thoughts - try this previous post that Meg wrote ..

Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

Meg
26-02-05, 16:22
Hi James

Welcome - what happened to start you off on Wednesday ?

Mind Games (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1789)

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

vernon
26-02-05, 16:29
Hi James, welcome to the site. I am a male too 56 and suffered on and of for so many years but lots of good times too. I have a very supportive wife and family too and have told them it all. I used alcohol for 40 years to hide from my anxiety but this got to much as i was drinking daily and didnt miss a day if 40 years so stopped drinking 15 months ago. stopping drink mad my anxiety realy bad for months so i did go on a antidepressant called cipralex, this helped me a lot and i didnt get any side effects like u do with some meds. Anyway we do have a chatroom at

http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

If you ever fancy a chat, usualy someone in after 8 30pm. good luck for now. Vernon

FAN
26-02-05, 16:47
hi welcome to the forum im sure you will find it helpful

fan x

lisarose
26-02-05, 17:35
Hi James and welcome to the forum.

You will find everyone here very friendly and supportive and ready to give advice when you need it.

i have suffered with depression/anxiety and panic attacks for nearly 5 years and my partner found it very difficult to cope with as he didn't understand what it was like. Since finding this site he understands now that there are lots of people who suffer the same thing and he is now a lot more understanding but it is hard for someone who hasn't experienced it and that is why this site is so helpful as everyone here understands as they are fellow sufferers. It is better not to keep your feelings bottled up from your wife as I am sure she would rather you tell her how you are feeling, I did this for a long time and I built up a lot of resentment towards my partner as I think I just expected him to know how I was feeling.

I too tried to get by without medication for years but since August have been on Effexor 75mg and feel so much better and luckily I didn't suffer any bad side effects.

Take care and hope you feel better soon.

Lisaxx

seh1980
26-02-05, 18:00
Welcome to the site!! :D

bubbles
26-02-05, 19:41
James,

Welcome to the forum.
I take meds at present (Sertraline) & they have helped the anxiety/panic. Few side effects for a week or so when I started them but that wore off. Don't intend to stay on them 'for ever', but it's a breathing space.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Karen
26-02-05, 19:59
Hi James

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
26-02-05, 21:12
hi james,
welcome!
it's such a lonely condition, and i didn't tell my partner anything for ages. but i feel a lot better after having shared everything with him - one less thing to stress out about, if you know what i mean. sometimes it's hard for him but he has learnt how to help me when i'm having a really bad PA.
take care,
henri

jamesy
26-02-05, 21:50
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi jamsey,

I too have tried to get through my anxiety without taking medication, to be honest I am scared of the side effects. I took soraxate once and the side effects were worse than the anxiety!!

I am married too, my husband is a great support but it is hard to understand if you have never experienced it.

I find talking to other people help, just to make things seem more rational while I am having an attack. Also sometimes I don't know how I would get through it wothout my councillor Jo she has helped me so much.

I know you will get lots of support from the people from this site after reading some of the other messages.

Take care Lexie

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lexie - 26 February 2005 : 16:03:48</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Tracy68
26-02-05, 22:47
Hi James
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find plenty of help and support from everyone on here to help you through this.
Take care
Tracy
x

sal
26-02-05, 23:03
Hi James

Welcome to the site. Sorry you are having a bad time, know how it feels when you reach for the diazepam to take away that anxious feeling and the uncontrolable thoughts.

You will get lots of support here and you are with people who understand how you are feeling.

Keep in touch.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

lainey
26-02-05, 23:26
Hi James

Welcome to the site, you will get loads of help and support here.

Take care
Elaine x

delta
26-02-05, 23:54
Hi jamesy
Welcome to the site!
I think you will find this place a great support, I know I do and I've only just arrived :)
I'm 36 and have suffered with anxiety/panic/depression what feels like forever, the panic attacks started not long after I gave up smoking many years ago, I have been given precriptions for medication but never taken them, can you believe I have a fear of taking the tablets and 'not being in control', sounds mad but I'm hoping people on here will understand. I have sort of learnt to cope with the panic attacks but at the moment I too suffer with negative thoughts, some days they take over and I my hyperventilating gets worse and I panic......
Sorry hope I didn't go on too much, just wanted to say I know how you are feeling.
Take care
Donna

jo-jo
27-02-05, 12:49
Hi Jamesy

A big welcome to you :D:D

Best wishes
Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

jamesy
28-02-05, 12:09
hi everyone just to say thanks so much for all your kind words and making me feel at least not so lonley i feel that just knowing that there are other people out there from all walks in life who are just like me.
i think my problem statrted at a very early age my mum was crippled with anxiety and i grew up watching her go through such a hard time trying to cope with life from about 7 years old i can remember that medication was her escape the names of these always stuck with me as it was always the topic of conversation when my aunt came to visit as she was very similar, things like mogodon,librium,ativan, temazapam, vallium, she was on these for at least 40 years right up until she was taken away from me last year with cancer aged 62. ive tried various medication dothapien,seroxate.cloipmarine, beta blockers but i hate the side affects i go to my gp he gives me a perscription but i dont go for them i think because they take so long to kick in apart from the diazapam i tend to try and just cope best i can. i am teriified of dying who isint you might ask but i cant get this thought out of my mind that its going to happen anytime when i ge chest pains it sends a wave of fear through me and thats when the panic comes on. even sitting in the house i wait for the house blowing up, a plane crashing into my home i keep picturing people at my funeral these thoughts are really wasting my life i cant enjoy life with this going on in ,my head. i have a wee girl aged 14 months who i adore after been told that we couldnt have kids (my wife has a chromsone problem) she came as a surprise after 14 years of marraige the thought of me leaving her behind scares me to bits is there anyone else out there thinks like this i hope i havent went on for to long but just typing this has helped as i have never told anyone apart from my gp about these feelings. thanks james x

rachel25
28-02-05, 12:52
Hi Jamesy,

The things you describe sound so familiar- as if you have been living my life so it just shows us that we are not alone. Since i have found this site i feel so much better but still a long way to go, even as i write to you now i have been on the phone to the doctors because i am convinced there is something wrong with my heart!! I was given beta blockers a week ago but still haven't worked up the courage to take any of them!!!

Anyway, use this site, the people are lovely and so helpful that i don't know how i got through the day before i found it. If you ever need anyone to talk to, i would be happy to oblige

rach xx

clickaway
28-02-05, 13:13
Hi Jamesy,

Welcome!

I know how hard it is to get people to understand what we are going through. I get so much comfort from this site, as there are a good number here that can relate to what you are going through.

It can be a very lonely condition and one of the components of recovery is to use sites like this, together with its chatroom. Such things also act as a distraction.

You say you have only ever spoken to your GP about this.

Have you ever considered phoning somebody up to vent your feelings? No Panic and the Samaritans are two people that come to mind.

Take Care,

Ray