PDA

View Full Version : Brand new

chrissy87
01-01-08, 07:25
Hi
So a counsellor at uni told me about this site and so far I've found it useful and reassuring.
I've been having severe (and not so severe) panic attacks for about 6 weeks. I was prescribed diazepam (2mg) temporarily while I tried to organise long term treatment (ie counselling/therapy). It worked very well - I knew I was having panic attacks but I did not feel the horrifying shooting pain down my left arm and chest. It was a weird feeling as I was still feeling the fluttering in my chest and shortness of breath but it was helpful that I wasn't feeling any pain as that definitely made the attacks worse (the whole - I'm having a heart attack thing). I sought another prescription to get me through the 2 week Christmas break (which my doctor was reluctant to give me). About a week ago I can only imagine the medication stopped working and I had a bad attack and as I was home on my own, I freaked out and went to A&E. Since then I've been taking two 2mg tablets instead of one (and they run out tomorrow!) and it still doesn't help much.
Worse yet, there's a waiting list for counselling at uni and the NHS waiting list for CBT is 18 months or something ridiculous. I'm a student and can't afford to go private.
So far, I haven't found anything majorly effective. I've tried Bach Rescue Remedy which didn't work (though I think it's because I didn't believe it would work) and breathing exercises etc.
It's all affecting my work and social life. I barely leave the flat and when I do I spin out.
So that's my story so far. I'm sure it's not much different from others on here.

groovygranny
01-01-08, 09:04
Hello chrissy:welcome: to you!

You're absolutely right - there are many similar stories to yours here! And many who will testify how helpful it is communicating with people who have had similar experiences.

Take a look at the links on the left side of this page - lots of helpful info there.

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

chrissy87
01-01-08, 09:07
Thanks!
I've had a look at all the info and some has been helpful. It's making me understand it all a bit more. I just know I need help but I feel stuck right now and have no hope of having any long term help any time soon. I hope speaking to people will help.

kellie
01-01-08, 10:52
hi chrissy and welcome. it will be nice to talk to you in chat. there are so many other sufferers like youself and talking is a great help. ive been here for about five months now and it has helped me so much. i have health anxiety and know how you are feeling. when you feel ready come in the chat room and talk, you will get a warm welcome and meet loads of new ppl with similar problems. sending you best wishes for the new year i hope its a good one for you.
take care .

manmoor
01-01-08, 14:38
Hi Chrissy,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Lindalou64
01-01-08, 16:23
HELLO CHRISSY AND WELCOME TO THE SITE I WISH YOU WELL.......LINDA

Nibbles
01-01-08, 17:14
Hi Chrissy and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. My panic attacks started at uni too and it's a horrible thing to happen. The key is to find coping strategies which work for you and I'm sure that's something you'll talk about when you get your counselling. One which I find useful is distracting myself with something when I feel anxious.

Take care,

Mike :)

nomorepanic
01-01-08, 19:07
Hi Chrissy

I just wanted to :welcome: you aboard and lovely to see you here.

Have a good read of the website pages on the left as well for loads of tips and advice.

Hope we can be of some help.

trac67
01-01-08, 21:26
Hi Chrissy,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

chrissy87
02-01-08, 12:04
Thanks so much for all the welcome messages. I'm sure I'll find the forums a useful place to understand all this a bit more.

MessedUp
02-01-08, 14:09
Hi Chrissy, sorry to hear what you're going through. You need to believe you can manage (and plenty of people do - so you have to admit it's possible), before you start to make progress - the key to believing that is recognising that the panics don't kill you or mean you're going mad - they do pass. It's not much fun, but you get through.
Then you need to find ways to calm yourself down when you start feeling anxious - recognise the whole vicious circle downwards spiral can be controlled by refusing to add fuel to the fire by worrying even more... do something that demands total concentration as a way of taking your mind off it. When you give your attention to something else, the panic and anxiety are starved and subside.

I thinks it's appalling how long waiting lists are, for help. As far as I'm concerned, when someone is feeling so desperate for help that they go to A&E at the hospital, they should be treated as an emergency case that needs "fast-tracking" - because this kind of things ruins people's lives while they struggle to make sense of it.
In the absence of more funding, we're left with self help groups like these excellent forums, and possibly local groups in your area, like Triumph Over Phobia (they will be worth getting in touch with if you've got one nearby). See topuk.org - they're more geared up to helping people face specific phobias by gradual and increased exposure to whatever sets them off - but you'll almost certainly meet sympathetic and experienced people who can help.

There have been times recently where I've felt so angry about the "drug them up and make them wait" attitude I've been tempted to start a campaign for better treatment... but I'm not really that political!
take care.

chrissy87
02-01-08, 14:35
Thanks so much.
To be fair to my doctor, he was reluctant to prescribe the meds the second time. I was horrified when I heard 18 months! I'm looking more closely into it and I'll hopefully be able to get help quicker. At least find some kind of local support group like you said.
In the mean time this site is doing wonders. I feel like I'm making leaps already in my thinking.
Thanks again.