PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing after Christmas

mlondon
02-01-08, 12:09
I woke up this morning with thoughts racing through my head, i can't even say what they were. My head was buzzing and i had the usual thought of 'i'm going mad'. I am still feeling it now though typing distracts me.

I am beginning to learn to expect some anxiety after a stressful time not just during that time. Christmas was great but this is what I did in the last 10 days,

spent 2 night in Kent
1 night in Belgium
4 nights in Germany
on my return to London my friends came over and we went out
the next day i got the tube for an 40 mins to visit my mum (something i still find very hard)
then it was new years eve and i went to a party
yesterday i spent the day feeling sick from drinking too much

Like i say it was a great christmas but as a sufferer of GAD (which i am beginning to realise i am) i found all the change anxiety provoking. On top of that i have had a very close friend call me through out the last few days in distress because she has found out her long term boyfriend has been cheating on her. I thought at one point she was going to kill herself. I have also missed 2 days of meds.

I am now beginning to realise how these things effect me and that even after the anxiety provoking event i need some time to recover and will probably still feel anxious.

Basically what i am saying is, i am beginning to realise what i deal with, how things effect me, recognise stressful events and cut myself a bit of slack after. Something that is easier said than done.

We've all got through the anxieties of christmas and new year, so i think it is well done to everyone.

One thing i have also learnt from GAD is to take each day at a time, perhaps i will make daily resolutions as lets face it, no one keeps to their new years resolutions!

Michelle x

Lilith1980
02-01-08, 12:53
Hi Michelle, you did have a lot going on for christmas didnt you. I came down with a bad cold and couldnt go and see my Mum, which I got really distressed about. Its been a big change for me this year, moving to a totally new area and "starting again" as it were.

I think you're totally right about the need to relax after such a hectic period. I am glad its over, although I'm left wondering "Thats it then, another year starts all over again" Weird.

xxx

dawny
02-01-08, 13:11
Hi Michelle

So Happy To Hear That Your Trip Went Well....well Done Mate.
I Think You Achieved More In A Few Days Than I Did In The Whole Year...lol

Dont Get Beating Yourself Up, Remember Youve Done So Much So Take Some Time Out For Yourself Hun.

Drinking Makes You Feel Horrid As Well Michelle Which Is A Bit Of A Bum....so It Could Be The Alcohol,

Anyway Happy New Year

Love Dawny Xxxxx

shaz01
03-01-08, 16:45
Hi Michelle,

I have also had a manic month and I have been thinking the same as you...that I know that following the busy time I will have anxiety symptoms and yesterday I had a very quiet day before going back to work. I find that when life is busy we cope well then it appears to be when life is calming down that I then feel rough.
Now I hope that made sense LOL.
Happy new year to you both.

Shaz x

mlondon
03-01-08, 17:39
Hi Shaz,

That is exactly it. I went back to work today and I am not feeling my best so am going to really rest tonight, but i know it is just from a hectic month.

Happy New Year

shaz01
05-01-08, 17:19
Hi Michelle,

I wasnt to bad going back to work then the weekend hits and I feel all aches and pains LOL.

Shaz x

mico
05-01-08, 18:05
Basically what i am saying is, i am beginning to realise what i deal with, how things effect me, recognise stressful events and cut myself a bit of slack after. Something that is easier said than done.

That's an important realisation to make, probably the most important that ever happened to me. People generally cope well through difficult times, it's when things become calmer and in the absence of distraction that you come to see that you're already snowed under with stress and anxiety.

It's not that you shouldn't do this, or you shouldn't do that but if you can learn to monitor the stress you're putting on yourself as it happens, on a daily basis, then you can learn to balance it in a way that is healthy for you at that moment in time.

One thing i have also learnt from GAD is to take each day at a time, perhaps i will make daily resolutions as lets face it, no one keeps to their new years resolutions!

Daily resolutions are the way forward.