PDA

View Full Version : want to cut right down on alcohol..

bexy1970
02-01-08, 17:15
hi all,, my anxiety still lurking, panicks not as bad but have managed to talok myself out of it now i know wots happening..developed horrid health anxiety, obsessed im goona die and leave my kids etc.. still drink to much.. 2 cans.. and a bottle of wine an eve, its a vicious circle, the drink helps the panic,, initially!!! and helps me sleep.. hate goin to bed as thats when i start my thinking,, boyfriend thinks ive gone off him as wont go to bed with him.. i hate myself.. ne way find my nerves even worse in the morn down to the alcohol.. ne one got ne advice? really want to cut my booze down but is my coping method!!! given up the cigs!! even beginning to worry bout night out as i get to the point of not even remembering how i got home.. then the panic lasts for days xx becca xx

Oceanblue
02-01-08, 17:42
Hi Bexy,

I was in a similar position to you, the majority of people who have problems with drink are doing this for similar reasons for self medication. You may think it's working and helping your illness, helping you to feel calm, but believe me if it does it only lasts for just a very short while, and I think you already know this.

I have needed rehab twice for detox, it used to be my crutch too, I thought it helped calm my feelings, help me cope better with life, only really it was actually making me worse, my illness worse, depression and my anxiety sky high.

One thing you have recognised is that you are drinking far too much and also for the wrong reason's, and so you clearly do have a drinking problem that you need to address. This is the biggest step, MAKING that change and determination to KEEP the change.

The first step to take is to have a talk with your doc, he/she will be able to help you detox with the help from a med for your need's, you will only need to take this for a short while. The doc's will also be able to help with your anxiety/panic whilst you withdrawal and then you can ask to be referred to a therapy group to help you through the rest.

It's definately not easy, I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own, you will need support, but there is plenty of help out there if you're willing to make that change.

Good Luck xx

peter6_edwards
02-01-08, 21:34
I feel the same as you regarding acohol, initial (when under the influence) it really helps, I sleep easier and I can relax at night without stressing about my health but the next day there is hell to pay!

In reality I believe alcohol is very un-helpful, it's just a way of escaping and in the long run it's not good for us. After not drinking for several days and although I do find it difficult/a battle to sleep at night during the day my anxiety is so much better, I feel alot less tense. The biggest issue and worry for me is that once I start drinking I worry I won't stop.

I hope that you find a way of cutting alcohol out of you life, believe me you will feel better in the long run. Peter

sagey
02-01-08, 22:30
Hi bexy, It sounds as though you would benefit from proper support while reducing/quitting alcohol and I guess your doctor is the best one to help you initially. Have you talked to your partner about your concerns? He may be worried about you and be more than willing to help and probably very pleased that you got to him for support. you've done great to quit the cigs and you must have a good store of willpower, so congratulations for that. Personally I find that alcohol makes my anxiety much worse, especially when it leaves me dozy so I can't get a grip on life. Have a think about it and take care of yourself .Sagey.

mynameis
02-01-08, 23:15
I hate to say it, but you are right; alcohol is only making your situation worse. I had my anxiety well under control, even finally starting withdrawal from my meds so I was averaging 2mg diazepam every 4-5 days. I had a little too much to drink just before Christmas and I'm now more or less back where I started. It's easy for me to say don't drink, but like Katie76 says, speak to your GP first and don't be afraid to confide in friends. I have a very understanding partner and I feel noticeably better when I tell her exactly how I'm feeling. I hate the thought that I cannot even have a drink socially, but it as made me all too aware of how I've taken my health for granted. I know now that if I don't drink, I have a far better chance of ridding myself of any anxiety/depreesion/panic related issues. You'd be amazed at how many people won't admit they have a problem, by taking this significant step, you are already on the right road to recovery. Good luck & happy new year !

nomorepanic
02-01-08, 23:36
Bexy

I am ashamed to admit that at my worse I could drink 12 cans of lager a night and still get up and go to work - though I am not sure I was functioning.

I drank heavily for 2 reasons -

1) someone told me that if I still felt those symptoms and so ill after a few drinks then it was real. Of course it all went

2) I couldn't sleep! Alcohol made me sleep but as we all know it is very bad sleep.

I do still drink more than I should and I still do it cos I can't sleep but I am starting to realise that it doesn't help.

The problem is when I do stop I can't sleep full stop!

I think you do need to get help from doc as the withdrawal can be as bad as giving up smoking or drugs and he may be able to help.

Good luck

bexy1970
03-01-08, 14:46
hi, thanks everyone, feel betta knowing im not on my own!!! ta for all the advice, will mention to my gp!!! xxx

geordie flower
03-01-08, 15:29
Hiya, I too am cutting down on alcohol, I used to drink at least 4 bottles of wine a week! but have decided to cut back to 2 a week I cudnt stop completely! :ohmy: I watched a documentary last nite about binge drinking and the effects it has on yor body and after only 3 weeks of it the effects of it were frightening! And Im trying to lose weight so less wine would be a good idea! Good luck love Tracey :flowers: x

Acable12
03-01-08, 15:50
I watched that programme last night as well. Was pretty informative. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, I do it as well and so do many others. We drink to escape and to relax and to forget about our problems for a short while, and there is nothing wrong with that. You just need as I do to try not to let the drink be your crutch all the time. We need to be stronger and not let us always open a botlle of wine when we need to relax, maybe find another way...I'l think about it tonight over a cheeky Chardonnay xx

Jon06121974
03-01-08, 18:38
Hi

Im in the same situation 10 years of the party life and constant binge drinking including 1-2 bottles of wina a night (max in last 18 months) seem to have caused my anxiety.

my problems started 5 days after a very heavy session at a wedding and it was hell. i actually felt so scared i gave up for 6 weeks. as i started to improve the odd glass caME BACK INTO MY EVENING ROUTINE UNTIL I HAD TO MANY AGAIN AT MY WEDDING RECEPTION. I WOKE THE NEXT DAY FEELING LIGHT HEADED VERY ANXIOUS AND JUMPY AND FELT LIKE I WAS GOING TO FIT OR PASS OUT! SINCE THEN IVE NOT TOTALLY STOPPED BUT WILL CUT DOWN. ITS BEEN 10 DAYS SINCE I HAD MY WEDDING RECEPTION AND THE ANXIETY IS PRETTY BAD AGAIN.

YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE ALCOHOL UP COMPLETELY JUST LEARN YOUR LIMIT SAY 2-3 GLASSES ONLY 3 X PER WEEK TO START.

gOOD LUCK

AND SORRY FOR THE CAPITALS WASNT WATCHING SCREEN WHEN TYPING! OOPS

Neilr1978
03-01-08, 22:49
I also drink as my coping method.I end up drinking about 8-9 cans of beer a night as that my worst panicing time of the day.I also leave my better half to go to bed and dont go to bed until around 2am when im so tired i go straight to sleep instead of stressing out and getting ectopics.I also know the beer is doing nothing for the ectopics or the stress,but short term its my only release,but i am cutting down as i now know its not the answer it just masks the problem for a little while,then end up being a bigger problem the next day.