PDA

View Full Version : I'm New here - Panic Success Stories Needed

angi
27-02-05, 10:10
Hi there,
my name is Angi. I have been so amazed at some of the postings on this site about panic attacks. I have suffered for over 18 years with panic attacks/agoraphobia. I have had it so bad I could not even leave the house for days at a time. I have woken up every 15 minutes in the middle of a panic attack all night long for months on end. I have survived it all, and am putting together a book full of survivor stories. I have read some of the best survivor stories on this site that I have seen anywhere. If you are interested in sharing your story with me and the rest of the world in book form, please read the following information.
Thank you so much!
-Angi

My name is Angi Gilchrist. I too have suffered through and luckily survived panic disorder. I have had it since I was 18, which is half of my life.

For many years, I did not know what was wrong with me, and I blamed myself. My family did not understand, and therefore was not very supportive. I went to doctors who did not know much about panic disorder, or who did not take it seriously. I did a lot of research through books, and the internet, and finally figured out it that it was not my fault. Thankfully, I also found a doctor who would prescribe me the medication I needed for the attacks and the underlying causes. (Paxil and Avandia (type 2 diabetic) I have been nearly panic free for five years now.

When I look back upon the last 18 years, I really wish I knew back then what I know now. Although, I am thankful to have my life back now, I wish I had known how to get better sooner.

The reason I am writing this book is that I would like to help those who may be new to this diagnosis. I would like to help the ones who are as I was 18 years ago, clueless, and scared out of my mind. I am putting together a book called, “Panic Survivors,” and it is full of success stories like yours and mine. I have many submissions, but really feel that your story would make a difference to a panic stricken reader. There is still time to get your story in the first edition. Your voice should be heard along with the many others who share my vision of a panic free existence.

It seems that there are many ways to treat panic disorder, including medications, therapy, and self help. We are all different, and what works for one person may not have the same results for another. I would like to include as many success stories and treatment methods as possible, in order to reach as many people as possible.

Approximately half of American households do not have a home computer. Many people do not have the access to the internet that you and I enjoy. For that reason, I think it is important to have panic information and stories collected as a book.

To be included in Panic Survivors, please email your story as you would like it to appear to venus@efn.org. I can accept it in a word doc, pdf form, or even just typed (or cut and pasted) into the email if that is easiest for you. I will also need a one-time release form signed by you for use of your story, so please include your mailing address so I can send you the release form. If you prefer, I can send the release form as a word doc via email.

Many of these success stories really struck me, and I would like to include them in this book.
You can make a difference in another panicked persons life. Please submit your story today.
Thank you!
Angi Gilchrist, 18 year Panic Veteran
P.S. if you know of others who may want to be involved, please let me know.
email: venus@efn.org

sal
27-02-05, 10:59
Hi Angi

Sounds like a great idea doing a book about peoples success stories. It will really help people realise they are not alone nor going mad, which is what people need to hear when they first start suffering.

Good luck with the book.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

Tracy68
27-02-05, 11:22
Hi Angi
I'm in agreement with Sal. When i first came on this site i never realised just how many people actually suffered. It will be a great help to all those still out there who think they're the only one suffering.
Good luck with it.
Take care
Tracy
x

Meg
27-02-05, 11:55
Nice one Angie - good luck

If anyone does write up their stories for Angie can you also submit them to Nic for inclusion here too.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

seh1980
27-02-05, 12:48
What a good idea!! :D

nomorepanic
27-02-05, 14:15
Angi

I got your email thanks and will try to contact the people that you specifically wanted stories from.

Good luck with the book.

Nicola

angi
27-02-05, 23:25
Hi,
thanks for the positive words.
I am really excited about this project.
THANKS!
-angi