PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Down!!

pink daisy
03-01-08, 14:23
It's that time again when a new year has come, and I'm thinking of how many things I'm not gonna be able to do again, like get the job I most want or to go on the perfect family holiday with my husband and two children and do random things!! Actually that sounds quite a lot to ask for.. just walking out my front door to go 4 a pint of milk sounds good too!! lol

I know I have come on a lot in the past year by driving my son to school which is about just under a mile away in my town.. And staying in the house on my own and quite enjoying it... but there is no sign of walking any distance or going to the cinema etc. that I used to do a few years back.

I have suffered from agoraphobia since I was about 13 and now I am 29 and just sat here now just thinking about all the things I want to do and knowing that I don't know how long I have to fight to achieve them just gets me down!! I know everyone who is reading this thinks well we r all in the same boat here!! but just had to get this stuff of my chest!!

I know that I just have to keep staying positive but just looking at my kids and knowing all the things that I would like to be doing with them and to know in my head that I really don't know myself yet really makes me so angry and sad..

From a trying to stay positive pink daisey xx :weep:

Believe
03-01-08, 14:35
Hi Daisey,

I think after the holidays come and go we all feel down and sad. Yes, it's the end of one year,but the start of the new year. Don't think about what you can't do in the new year, think about what you will do in the new year.

Like you said,you have come so far, and that's something to be proud of hun. I know it sucks not being able to go and do things with your kids, but there are things that you can do at home. Those will be the memories they hold in their hearts anyways.

Remember you aren't alone. Hang in there.:hugs:

jodie
03-01-08, 14:40
hiya pink

you sound like you have done realy well taking your son to school staying home on your own ect i am sure in time you will be able to go out for walk or to the cinima just take baby steps for now you will get there if you realy want to :yesyes:

jodie xx

have some :bighug1::bighug:

belle
03-01-08, 14:49
Hi..

You have done SO well over the months i've been reading your husbands blog. You should be very proud of your achievements. Staying alone is a big one and everything else will follow...
One think i would suggest is don't put too much pressure on yourself. Take it slowly and you'll be fine :)

x

honeybee3939
03-01-08, 14:53
Hiya Pink

Now we will be having none of this "things im not going to be able to do!":ohmy: :hugs:
Pink i bet last new year you never thought you would have managed to drive your son to school etc, so wow thats a real positive step forward!:yesyes:

I suffered with agorophobia for 12 years and it was real hard at times hun, but the thing that kept me going was to keep focusing on all the positives !

Be strong hun and stay positive and im sure you will have many more achievements to come.:hugs:

Heres some more hugs too:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Andrea
xxxxxxxxx

chalky
03-01-08, 15:15
Hi Pink,

I am a new member of NMP.
I have noticed that a recurring feature of Threads is frustration at percieved lack of progress by people posting.
Your thread explains that you have had your problems long-term.Often members have experienced problems getting proper treatment/diagnosis/help and this has dealyed matters further.Drugs take time to work.
It is important that we monitor our progress but this must be done in a reasonable manner.
If you were to write down everything you have achieved in the last year despite your problems,then your progress would,no doubt,please you.Keeping this firmly in your mind,you should be able to look forward to 2008 as further opportunity to progress.
Demanding big steps forward can be unhelpful because it puts stress on us and tends to under-estimate how serious our problems have been.
Focusing on the changes which you made in the last year which led to improvements should continue to improve your life.
You have done REALLY well.
Best wishes,
Chalky

Lilith1980
03-01-08, 17:20
Hey Pink. You are doing really well, so stop putting yourself down ;)

Why do you think you're ok driving your son to school but not walking to the shops? Do you think you feel more exposed if you're not in the car?

I dont know if this sounds daft, as I have never suffered with agrophobia, but how about walking to your garden gate and back? Or stand at the garden gate for a few minutes breathing in the air (although might be a tad cold to stay outside too long!).

Its all small steps....and like Chalky says, if you have suffered for years you cant expect things to go back to "normal" over night. Give yourself time hun, one day at a time. You're doing great :D

trac67
03-01-08, 19:16
Pink,

Sorry to hear your feeling down, why not join our agoraphobia diary thread, where we all support one another on the road to getting out and about again, the link is below:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24387

Chin up

Love

Trac xxx

erialc
03-01-08, 20:15
Hi Pink, sorry u r feelin down, I think its the whole start of a New Year thing, cos I have been feeling a bit rubbish too!

You should be proud of yourself for all you have achieved so far :yesyes:

I was in Clifton yesterday and thought of u when we went by Chocolat cafe. I resisted all the nice shops and only bought one pack of xmas cards for next year (how organised am i? ;))

Well I hope u have a great 2008 and am sure you will achieve much more :flowers:

Claire xxxx

julieb
03-01-08, 23:25
hi daisy, ive suffered from agoraphobia for 20 years from being housebound to going on a plane to kefalonia for 2 wks back to not being able to drive, stay in the house alone and go to some places like shopping centres or walking far. this setback has hit me hard but after seeing a cbt therapist and having her explain that we are always recovering and must accept setback and also that recovery doesnt go in a straight line but is up and down but always heading in the right direction ive tried to go easy on myself and relax. please dont be too hard on yourself i think we really do put extra pressure on ourselves and expect too much. take it easy, youre doing great!!! wish i could drive the car again!!!!

ju x

pink daisy
04-01-08, 00:56
Thanks guys- you have all made me feel abit better about myself xx